Godot

Ask A Deathlister

Today is the 94th anniversary of Roger Moore's birth, and twitter is awash with people wishing him "Happy Birthday". Why do they do this? He's been dead for 4 years so it's unlikely to be. 

I believe people have been guilty of the same on this very forum.

9 minutes ago, time said:

Today is the 94th anniversary of Roger Moore's birth, and twitter is awash with people wishing him "Happy Birthday". Why do they do this? He's been dead for 4 years so it's unlikely to be.

I believe people have been guilty of the same on this very forum.

It's not very logical, is it?  Surely in the afterlife it makes more sense to celebrate one's death day.

• Like 1

Today is also the 131st birthday of Dwight D. Eisenhower. Happy Birthday Ike, wishing you good health!

• Haha 1

Is there any game in which every time a celeb dies we can replace him with another one till the end of the year ?

Is Roy Welensky (Prime Minister of Rhodesia between 1956 and 1963) the only head of state with a confirmed, documented professional boxing record? He had five fights (3-2-0, two KOs) in the mid-1920s. I know lots of politicos boxed amateur (Idi Amin was pretty handy iirc?), but was Welensky the only one to go professional?

Google Maps used to open on my home location, but it now opens on a map showing the whole of UK, Ireland and NW Europe.

I can't figure out a way to get it back to where I want it.

Any ideas, anyone?

You know that Italian Gino D'Acampo fella who is now on every TV programme going?

Well, just wondering if there are any British people who are TV celebrities in other non English speaking countries?

14 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

You know that Italian Gino D'Acampo fella who is now on every TV programme going?

Well, just wondering if there are any British people who are TV celebrities in other non English speaking countries?

Don't know if musicians count, but I was reading about Murray Head the other day who is apparently very popular in France.

He's the brother of Tony Head (Buffy, Gold Blend ads etc).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59726874

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Toast said:

Don't know if musicians count, but I was reading about Murray Head the other day who is apparently very popular in France.

He's the brother of Tony Head (Buffy, Gold Blend ads etc).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59726874

Yes. that's the kind of thing I am thinking of.

Thanks Toastie!

2 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

A lot of 80s British sitcom stars are huge in Eastern Europe. John Challis  was very popular in Serbia and Jeffery Holland is huge in Hungary.  I can't think of anyone who is unknown in the UK who is famous elsewhere apart from Becki Cruell  who is huge in Japan, but YouTube 'stars' don't count really.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

A lot of 80s British sitcom stars are huge in Eastern Europe. John Challis  was very popular in Serbia and Jeffery Holland is huge in Hungary.  I can't think of anyone who is unknown in the UK who is famous elsewhere apart from Becki Cruell  who is huge in Japan, but YouTube 'stars' don't count really.

Yes Handy, just at the height of his fame in Serbia, Mr Challis carks it!

Norman Wisdom was a superstar in Albania , his were the only kind of Western film that Enver Hoxha allowed.

Would be interesting to know if any Brits actually host TV shows abroad, guests on shows, act on TV progs in the local language.

PS: I had no idea Jeffery Holland was such a star out in Hungary! Is that to do with Hi De Hi?

1 minute ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Yes Handy, just at the height of his fame in Serbia, Mr Challis carks it!

Norman Wisdom was a superstar in Albania , his were the only kind of Western film that Enver Hoxha allowed.

Would be interesting to know if any Brits actually host TV shows abroad, guests on shows, act on TV progs in the local language.

PS: I had no idea Jeffery Holland was such a star out in Hungary! Is that to do with Hi De Hi?

More for 'You Rang M'Lord ' I think. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Gary Lineker appeared as a pundit during football coverage on Dutch TV & Al Jazeera, but probably spoke English; he speaks Spanish but hasn't afaik had a presence on Spanish TV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time said:

Gary Lineker appeared as a pundit during football coverage on Dutch TV & Al Jazeera, but probably spoke English; he speaks Spanish but hasn't afaik had a presence on Spanish TV.

Now you mention that, there was the late Michael Robinson who was a football presenter in Spain.

• Like 3

Question:

How does blocking posters work on this forum. How does one do it and what is the effect of doing it. 

Thanks. Sorry if this has been asked before/elsewhere 

18 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

Question:

How does blocking posters work on this forum. How does one do it and what is the effect of doing it. 

Thanks. Sorry if this has been asked before/elsewhere 

Click the down arrow at the top right of the screen, next to your name, and click "Ignored Users".  I will say, though, having tried it out recently, that it only seems to work half the time. 

• Thanks 1

Why is it so difficult to find 100 watt light bulbs nowadays?  (Whatever the equivalent is in LED .)

47 minutes ago, Toast said:

Why is it so difficult to find 100 watt light bulbs nowadays?  (Whatever the equivalent is in LED .)

They don't make them.  Summat to do with EU. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Bearer said:

They don't make them.  Summat to do with EU. 

They do though.

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/osram-classic-a-100w-led-filament-frosted-bc-bulb

Look at the price though!  And there are never any on the shelves.  Wilko have them at £8 each, but only dimmable which I don't need, and none in store when I looked.

Asda have got some cheaper ones listed, but there won't be any in the shops, you can bet.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/bayonet-cap-bulbs/asda-led-classic-100-w-large-bayonet-lightbulb/1000304248886

7 hours ago, TheCemetaryMan said:

Has the deathlist committee ever thought/thinking of upping the. guesses of 50 to 75 or 100?

In before the ban…

5 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

In before the ban…

At long last, after 15,000 piles of shit they’re finally getting rid of you :party:

If a friend started dressing like you and then started buying you both matching accessories and suggesting you wear them together, how would you deal with that?

6 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

If a friend started dressing like you and then started buying you both matching accessories and suggesting you wear them together, how would you deal with that?

Is he a platonic friend?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

Find a new friend.

Ok, a simplistic answer.

The accessories thing is easier to deal with, you don't wear/use them and suggest that they are 'not really the kinds of things you like' but you are flattered that they considered you when getting them.

The dressing like you bit is waaaaay more difficult to deal with!