Anubis the Jackal

Ideas And Possibilities For 2009

OK, seeing as it's 2008 in the Antipodes, let's get the ball rolling,

Bilawal Bhutto Zardari,

Son and grandson of murder victims.

OK, so he's probably safe at Oxford for the moment, but I for one wouldn't want to do his job.

OK, seeing as it's 2008 in the Antipodes, let's get the ball rolling,

Bilawal Bhutto Zardari,

Son and grandson of murder victims.

OK, so he's probably safe at Oxford for the moment, but I for one wouldn't want to do his job.

I did wonder about him for the coming year and won't be surprised if he's picked in some of the last minute entries. His father too must be a contender. I don't suppose there will be too many keen to sit with him over breakfast in the refectory if he goes back to college.

I get how the Ideas and Possibilities are necessary for 2009 but when it's just New Years Eve my attitude is almost 'put it away' you know what I mean? If I had to make some off the board gambles it would probably be The Pope or something. Maybe Oprah's flight goes down or maybe something will happen to Kim Jong-il. I know many Jazz and blues men along with drummers will be croaking but who knows? By then American Idol and only by prayer may American Idol contestants be in style. It's so difficult to contradict at this point. This might be the year of Clive Dunn. Let's start this discussion by who is going to commit suicide in 2009? I have bids on Brittaney Spears.

I did wonder about him for the coming year and won't be surprised if he's picked in some of the last minute entries. His father too must be a contender.

I'd reckon his father is far more likely to follow the Bhutto trait of early death - judging by comments on the BBC site and elsewhere, the vast majority see Bilawal as just a kid but are disparaging about Zardari. Either way, I personally think Musharraf is more of a likely target.

As for youngsters, I thought all bets were off for Amy Winehouse. Far more unstable than Britney Spears.

Otherwise, all the usuals will remain on the list apart from those that die. Other people will become ill and thus be deemed dead certs for 2009. The odd person will surprise us all. Chinese Democracy still won't be released, and Kate Bush is more likely to tour than Clive Dunn is to die.

I did wonder about him for the coming year and won't be surprised if he's picked in some of the last minute entries. His father too must be a contender.

I'd reckon his father is far more likely to follow the Bhutto trait of early death - judging by comments on the BBC site and elsewhere, the vast majority see Bilawal as just a kid but are disparaging about Zardari. Either way, I personally think Musharraf is more of a likely target.

As for youngsters, I thought all bets were off for Amy Winehouse. Far more unstable than Britney Spears.

Otherwise, all the usuals will remain on the list apart from those that die. Other people will become ill and thus be deemed dead certs for 2009. The odd person will surprise us all. Chinese Democracy still won't be released, and Kate Bush is more likely to tour than Clive Dunn is to die.

I think when Clive Dunn does die we may well pack it all in :-)

I'm a little disappointed that neither Pete or Winehouse made the list. It seems like one spot could be designated for young rockers that have horrific drug problems...lots of past success in that area. :banghead:

Obviously not a DL candidate, but I thought I'd help break in this thread by announcing the first Wikipedia-worthy centenarian of 2008: Portuguese musician Bill Tapia. Not bad for a man who's been performing since he was 10.

Guest benna011

Surely Prince Phillip must soon be an issue, he is looking very frail

Surely Prince Phillip must soon be an issue, he is looking very frail

True, but he has half a dozen flunkies looking after his every move. I reckon that being a senior royal is worth at least five years on top of a normal lifespan, all things considered.

Tom Bosley looking a bit worse for wear these days

I'm a little disappointed that neither Pete or Winehouse made the list. It seems like one spot could be designated for young rockers that have horrific drug problems...lots of past success in that area. :lol:

They made it to my list *grin*

Rep. Lantos to retire due to cancer By ANNE FLAHERTY, Associated Press Writer

6 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Rep. Tom Lantos, a California Democrat and chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, announced on Wednesday that he will not seek re-election this year because he has cancer of the esophagus.

Lantos, 79, is the only Holocaust survivor elected to Congress and is known for his dedication to human rights issues. He is serving his 14th term, after joining the House in 1981.

"It is only in the United States that a penniless survivor of the Holocaust and a fighter in the anti-Nazi underground could have received an education, raised a family, and had the privilege of serving the last three decades of his life as a member of Congress," Lantos said in a statement. "I will never be able to express fully my profoundly felt gratitude to this great country."

According to his statement, "routine medical tests" revealed the cancer. It did not provide additional details.

Lantos was born in Budapest, Hungary. In 1944, as a teenager, he was sent to a labor camp but eventually escaped. Three years later, he came to the United States on an academic scholarship.

He is married to Annette, his childhood sweetheart. The couple has two daughters, 17 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

"His experience, intelligence, and compassion will be deeply missed," said Pelosi, D-Calif.

Tom Bosley looking a bit worse for wear these days

I actually think he doesn't look too bad....this article just smacks of a desperate has -been actor touting for work .

I think Peter Quaife and Mick Avory had their own spats, despite Quaife later admitting they both felt like session men at Kinks sessions.

If we pit the four founding Kinks against the five surviving Floyds, who dies first? My guess is Dave Davies, assuming nobody shoots his brother again!

On Radio 2 this evening, there was a discussion about the chances of a Kinks reunion tour and it was mentioned that Peter Quaife, Devon born founding member and bassist of The Kinks has been suffering from kidney failure since 1998, his health has deteriorated over the last year. Ultimately, chronic kidney failure progresses in most people regardless of treatment and if he's suffered from it for a whole decade, I would imagine his prospects aren't that great.

I think Peter Quaife and Mick Avory had their own spats, despite Quaife later admitting they both felt like session men at Kinks sessions.

If we pit the four founding Kinks against the five surviving Floyds, who dies first? My guess is Dave Davies, assuming nobody shoots his brother again!

On Radio 2 this evening, there was a discussion about the chances of a Kinks reunion tour and it was mentioned that Peter Quaife, Devon born founding member and bassist of The Kinks has been suffering from kidney failure since 1998, his health has deteriorated over the last year. Ultimately, chronic kidney failure progresses in most people regardless of treatment and if he's suffered from it for a whole decade, I would imagine his prospects aren't that great.

Yes, its funny how they're getting back together again... :)

I wonder If Avory and Davies have patched up their differences (I think cymbals were thrown at heads at some point!) If not, they could get the wonderful Bob Henrit (an old work collegue of mine) to get back on the drums.

Barry Reckord playwright, scriptwriter and - once or twice - an actor. Now very ill and not helped by living unhappily back in his native West Indies, according to his former lover Diana Athill.

now there is her book about age, which is suffused by a striking contentment, even though it describes Reckord sinking further and further into illness, and her spending much time nursing. This has changed since the book went to press. He had a heart-attack, "and the heart-hospital said no, they wouldn't operate, because he would die. And I was really getting desperate. Because I am too old to cope with nursing."

She was unaware that a Jamaican niece and brother had been discussing what to do, and one day they descended and he went home with them. "I hope that he's happy - I'm afraid he's not. I've written and talked on the telephone and told him over and over again about how I really can't cope. He just says, 'When can I come back?' It's awful, really."

Bif Naked (If that's her real name), Canadian Rock Chick, has been diagnosed with breast cancer. Not the most imformative of articles, but it does come with a picture of her tattoos. :rolleyes:

Bif Naked (If that's her real name), ... Not the most imformative of articles, but it does come with a picture of her tattoos. :rolleyes:

Great research there Redmega: Her real name is in the first sentence of the article; "Canada’s punk rocker Beth Torbert aka “Bif Naked”. I find that reading articles before posting links to them is usually the best approach. Just a thought.

PS Appalling spelling on that site BTW. If they can't spell "you're" then I suspect the quality of journalistic information is going to be a little thin also.

Bif Naked (If that's her real name), ... Not the most imformative of articles, but it does come with a picture of her tattoos. :rolleyes:

Great research there Redmega: Her real name is in the first sentence of the article; "Canada’s punk rocker Beth Torbert aka “Bif Naked”. I find that reading articles before posting links to them is usually the best approach. Just a thought.

PS Appalling spelling on that site BTW. If they can't spell "you're" then I suspect the quality of journalistic information is going to be a little thin also.

I see that: "The Canadian rocker chick announced her diagnosis today on George Stroumboulopoulos’s radio show." He would make a good candidate to succeed Christodoulos. I would love to see them as running partners in the US primaries.

Ahem, fair enough! But in my defense, the glare from her legs had made it difficult to read the first couple of sentences :banghead:

The other source was from HollywoodPulse.com and was of an even sketchier quality - if that's possible.

It's interesting to note that "She is also a strict raw food vegan for health (as opposed to ethical or religious) reasons" - On this evidence, I'll not be giving up bacon just yet.

Ama Sumani, would probably be a DDP scorer in 2009, if - by any miracle - he lives that long.

Ama Sumani, would probably be a DDP scorer in 2009, if - by any miracle - he lives that long.

she

When she (rightfully, seeing as she's lied and dodged immigration officials throughout the years she's been here) gets deported we probably won't hear about her again, whether she dies or not. There must be loads of deportees who are ill or dying but the news don't report all of them as, frankly, they're not really all that newsworthy.