Anubis the Jackal

Ideas And Possibilities For 2009

Margaret Wileman, academic and long-time president of Hughes Hall at the University of Cambridge turned 100 on Saturday. Hasn't got her own Wiki page so she wouldn't count for CPDP at present. But she'd sure as hell snag a UK broadsheet obit on all but the busiest news weeks.

Haven't a clue how she's doing health wise, mind.

Peaches Geldof has had to be given mouth to mouth by a friend. Probably just having a snog.

Frasier, AKA Kelsey Grammer, was closer to death than folks were letting on last month.

Randy Pausch is now confined to bed & has stopped treatment for his cancer.

So he probably won't be long going now. This is from a UK broadsheet, no less, so now I have no doubts at all he'll get a UK obit - a quite remarkable story, really.

Dead, allegedly. http://cbs4.com/watercooler/randy.pausch.death.2.779807.html

This doesn't bode well for Patrick Swayze.

Pausch was very optimistic about his cancer prognosis at one point.

Kenny Richey isn't doing too well. (I think he'd be a good addition to DL2009, if he makes it that far)

Police would not comment on the nature of the incident but one report said streets were cordoned off and a man was on the roof of a building.

Paul Sturrock has admitted that he's suffering from Parkinson's Disease...

Guest Nick

Although not suffering any illness' as yet, Peter Sallis who plays Norman Clegg in Last of the Summer Wine is 88 this year and has been forced, along with Frank Thornton, to refrain from any outside filming due to the BBC's insurance!

I think he may be one for 2009!

Although not suffering any illness' as yet, Peter Sallis who plays Norman Clegg in Last of the Summer Wine is 88 this year and has been forced, along with Frank Thornton, to refrain from any outside filming due to the BBC's insurance!

I think he may be one for 2009!

Link

is worth a look at since some god fearing folk own guns, and bombs.

Former Australian prime minister Gough Whitlam, 92, who has been suggested loads of times before on DL, has spent several weeks in hospital and is now receiving "rehabilitation" for an undisclosed ailment.

Former Australian prime minister Gough Whitlam, 92, who has been suggested loads of times before on DL, has spent several weeks in hospital and is now receiving "rehabilitation" for an undisclosed ailment.

Probably just a nasty Gough.

Here are two more celebrities to put on the Death Watch.

but with my luck, these are nothing more than teases. Seems like every time somebody worries that a celebrity won't survive, it'll have the opposite effect.

Actor James Garner has checked into the hospital amid fears of his health (he did suffer from a stroke earlier this year but was reportedly on the mend)

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/artic...0health_1076148

Actress Loretta Swit (of MASH fame) is rumored to be battling a mysterious illness.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/artic...20fears_1076151

Mel Sterland

Hugely obese, heavy drinker, attempted suicide once, suffers from depression, trouble with the law, can't work due to a blood clot restricted his mobility, "is in agony if he drives a long distance" and "is out of breath just walking upstairs". Nearly died a few years ago when the clot hit his lung. Still drinking despite health problems.

Who is he? Ex-Rangers, Sheffield Wednesday & England defensive footballer, so obituary certain. He also played for Leeds, which is an automatic reason to go on any dead pool & he's a complete idiot too, which is a second reason.

He's only 47 this year as well.....

All this comes from the latest edition of Four Four Two magazine.

Mel Sterland

Hugely obese, heavy drinker, attempted suicide once, suffers from depression, trouble with the law, can't work due to a blood clot restricted his mobility, "is in agony if he drives a long distance" and "is out of breath just walking upstairs". Nearly died a few years ago when the clot hit his lung. Still drinking despite health problems.

Who is he? Ex-Rangers, Sheffield Wednesday & England defensive footballer, so obituary certain. He also played for Leeds, which is an automatic reason to go on any dead pool & he's a complete idiot too, which is a second reason.

He's only 47 this year as well.....

All this comes from the latest edition of Four Four Two magazine.

Yeah, I saw the picture of him. I thought 'You fat bastard!' :rip:

Historian, linguist and writer, Ji Xianlin, 97, one of China's leading intellectuals - according to his Wiki page "he currently lives in semi-seclusion in a military hospital." Here's an article about him.

The report also has a recent photo of rocket scientist and DDP pick Tsien Hsue-shen (Qian Xuesen)

Actor Morgan Freeman is in serious condition after getting into a car accident.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080804/ap_on_...xs7mmdnTnes0NUE

But knowing celebrities these days, he'll live.

All these celebrities are getting ill, all have survived (Kelsey Grammar, Amy winehouse, Elizabeth Taylor, Christina Applegate) so I expect Morgan Freeman to pull through (much to the chagrin of all the Dlisters here).

Actor Morgan Freeman is in serious condition after getting into a car accident.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080804/ap_on_...xs7mmdnTnes0NUE

But knowing celebrities these days, he'll live.

All these celebrities are getting ill, all have survived (Kelsey Grammar, Amy winehouse, Elizabeth Taylor, Christina Applegate) so I expect Morgan Freeman to pull through (much to the chagrin of all the Dlisters here).

Christina Applegate has only just been diagnosed with breast cancer. The doctors have said it's not life threatening as they've detected it early enough.

As her mother died from a combination of cervical and breast cancer, she's been having scans earlier than most to avoid the same fate

Christina Applegate has only just been diagnosed with breast cancer. The doctors have said it's not life threatening as they've detected it early enough.

As her mother died from a combination of cervical and breast cancer, she's been having scans earlier than most to avoid the same fate

*whisper* hey, Phantom, you might want to read three posts above before posting news about ill celebs.

*whisper* hey, Phantom, you might want to read three posts above before posting news about ill celebs.

Ronnie,

I saw the post from the weekend. In terms that she's only recently been diagnosed and being treated for breast cancer, so in a sense according to BCAlum2000's post she has survived so far bearing in mind that she's only recently become aware of the disease.

If you get how I mean.

My post wasn't as an announcement of news that has already been posted it was in response to the post prior to mine

Ronnie,

I saw the post from the weekend. In terms that she's only recently been diagnosed and being treated for breast cancer, so in a sense according to BCAlum2000's post she has survived so far bearing in mind that she's only recently become aware of the disease.

If you get how I mean.

My post wasn't as an announcement of news that has already been posted it was in response to the post prior to mine

phantom is on point.

Still, this doesn't change the fact that lately, we've been inundated with news of celebrities teasing us with their illnesses and near death experiences. Just when we hear that a celebrity is thought to be seriously ill and dying, he ends up recovering and doing fine.

Margaret Thatcher: hospitalized, released.

Patrick Swayze: had pancreatic cancer, was supposed to live only for weeks, but looks healthy again and is back to work

Amy Winehouse: hospitalized twice, appears to be doing OK unfortunately

Christina Applegate: breast cancer, caught in early stages

Elizabeth Taylor: had heart problems and pnuemonia; reportedly was on life support and on the brink of death. in the end, she's supposed to be doing well

Kelsey Grammar: had heart attack; survived and recovering nicely

Bernie Mac: hospitalized for pnemonia, is recovering nicely

Morgan Freeman: was listed in serious condition after a car accident, but looks like he might only have a few broken bones.

What's up with all these celebrities, teasing us and the media with the possibility that a famous celeb would die, only to fully recover. And these celebs will proudly share their near death, or on the brink of death experiences. :skill2:

http://www.hecklerspray.com/bernie-mac-not...h/200815537.php

Could one of the Warwick x please step forward and tell me if I am right in believing that the original ethos of this site is not in wanting celebrities to die but merely to speculate on who might potentially pop their clogs over the space of any one year.

I am getting sick and tired of hearing this broken record about celebrities teasing us with death. I know I started a wishful thinking thread so it is a bit hypocritical to cast whatnots, however in my defence my tongue was firmly in my cheek at the time. I actually find Anthea a really entertaining woman and couldn't think of anyone better to sit next to on a short train journey, say the Trans Siberian Express. Damn, seems that my tongue's glued to the inside of my cheek.

This teasing seems on a par with my oh-so-funny Portsmouth tirade, which I'm sure you are all equally tired of.

Still, this doesn't change the fact that lately, we've been inundated with news of celebrities teasing us with their illnesses and near death experiences. Just when we hear that a celebrity is thought to be seriously ill and dying, he ends up recovering and doing fine.

(SNIPPED - the ever increasing list of celebs appearing in certain posts)

What's up with all these celebrities, teasing us and the media with the possibility that a famous celeb would die, only to fully recover. And these celebs will proudly share their near death, or on the brink of death experiences. :skill2:

I think we have all been teased one, two many times as these four examples show. Here are a few suggestions for you BCA. Strangely, I find the first few synonyms listed under the first entry quite apt.

Oh and did I tell you the one about how many seasons Portsmouth have been predicted to stay in the premiership? ... :lol: