Anubis the Jackal

Ideas And Possibilities For 2009

So it's not Patrick Swayze, then.

Be interesting to see when 'said pick' appears on the DDP.

I don't post here often so a couple of possibilities.

Vincent O'Brien, the famous horseracing trainer is past 90 and whatever the state of his health is surely a good each-way prospect.

Noam Chomsky is 80 years old and his wife has just passed away. That may just weaken him and push him more quickly to an early(ier) grave.

Any views on these two picks

Not sure about Chomsky, those intense academics can go on for years. Their brains stay vital.

Had a chat with a TV type last night (not the dress-wearing kind, more's the shame)

Apparently 3 old duffers, 2 of whom have been mentioned at length on these pages, are going on an expedition to the Antarctic. May have a DDP punt on the 3rd of the party, as he's not getting any younger and doesn't have the same experience of such harsh conditions.

They are only going to Cape Horn and they're probably there now. It's not much different than a trip to the Shetland Islands in summer. Skip Novak, who lives down there, will take care of them. Your man has been in much more dangerous situations. Still he carries quite a bit of weight.

Former Marillion singer Fish has been forced to temporarily retire from music after an "irregular cell growth" was found on his vocal cords.

He has adopted a rather philosophical outlook to his predicament

"In all honesty I am 50 years old, I smoke(d), drink, have a "colourful" history, have sung nearly 1,700 gigs in 27 years and have conducted probably three times as many interviews. It's like standing on the M1 and expecting not to be hit by a car."

In other words he's probably got nodules on his vocal chords, highly unlikely to be life threatening. Not a patch on the genuine cancer that afflicted Roy Chubby Brown's vocal chords. Then again, Chubby has done more gigs and talked more than Fish.

Not sure about Chomsky, those intense academics can go on for years. Their brains stay vital.

Yes but it frequently occurs with elderly people that when their spouses predecease them they lose the will to live. Th brain is vital but they lose heart.

Yes but it frequently occurs with elderly people that when their spouses predecease them they lose the will to live. Th brain is vital but they lose heart.

Totally agree but I had the widows of Eric and Ernie round for a fry up heavy on black pudding, and Nancy Reagan and Betty Ford chanced by, they told me they'd been talking to Tony Benn who'd told them the above was - sometimes - bollocks.

Totally agree but I had the widows of Eric and Ernie round for a fry up heavy on black pudding, and Nancy Reagan and Betty Ford chanced by, they told me they'd been talking to Tony Benn who'd told them the above was - sometimes - bollocks.

And Billy Graham is still living a year and a half after his wife's death. Enough said.

The Emperor of Japan is said to be stressed.

Perhaps we have found the real identity of OoO. :unsure:

Perhaps we have found the real identity of OoO. :)

What does the Emperor of Japan have to be stressed about? It's not August 1945 anymore.

Perhaps we have found the real identity of OoO. :)

:lol::lol::lol:

Bless you Windsor, you've made my day! That and Cowboy Ronnie's comment as well...

I can confirm I am NOT & have never been the Emperor of Japan. I only wish I were. Not least as I would enter myself on the DDP. :dead:

The lack of a proper job is known to be stressing to many people. I'm guessing to the work-obsessed Japanese it is particularly so.

Good spot, that toll of damage linked to stress suggests the man is a major heart attack and/or fierce bout of malignant cancer waiting to occur. His immune system must be shipping serious damage and his blood pressure will compromise his vital organs. Deffo international news coverage and obits aplently, as and when.

Guest maddogingoa

I am looking forward toe thr following passings in 2009.

The Queen.

Prince Philip

Prince Charles

Margartetr Thatcher.

That would give us another four public holidays. :):dead:

I am looking forward toe thr following passings in 2009.

The Queen.

Prince Philip

Prince Charles

Margartetr Thatcher.

That would give us another four public holidays. :):dead:

I'm sure there will be plenty of 'public' holidays in 2009.

Not least for Woolworths staff, and many many bankers.

Guest MNL

I'm putting my bet on Johannes Heesters, the oldest entertainer worldwide at 105 years.

Guest Guest_gerryatric_*

Hello all. My very first post - looking forward to a successful year with my predictions. Here goes ..... Margaret Thatcher (been a firm favourite of mine for years), Doris Day and Peaches Geldof. Looking forward to your comments.

has everybody guessed who the 3rd man is yet?

has everybody guessed who the 3rd man is yet?

I'd have a punt on John Simpson.

There's a slight hint at such here.

Hello all. My very first post - looking forward to a successful year with my predictions. Here goes ..... Margaret Thatcher (been a firm favourite of mine for years), Doris Day and Peaches Geldof. Looking forward to your comments.

Amy Winehouse must be a distinct possibility, for much the same reasons as Peaches.

I think Gazza is way ahead of Winehouse in the mobile train-wreck stakes. She could manage a more stable year than last, especially with her bloke banged up for the duration. Who knows, she might even - like - get out an album and turn up when she has gigs booked. If she's looking for some free nights at cabaret venues there are some dates booked by Eartha Kitt that could do with a late replacement.

How about American actor Harry Morgan of M*A*S*H* fame? I've got a feeling about him.

How about American actor Harry Morgan of M*A*S*H* fame? I've got a feeling about him.

For any particular reason? Or did you put a lot of old actors in a hat and pull out a name at random?

For any particular reason? Or did you put a lot of old actors in a hat and pull out a name at random?

Hey, don't knock it. It's a tried and true deadpool strategy for some of us.

Harry Morgan has been on the list before. He's a decent candidate. Look how old he was on MASH, and that show was on, what, 50 years ago? He'll be discussed at the selection special.