Death Watch Beatle

The Dead Of 2008

Let's hear about the latest coffin fillers.

DWB ;)

"Jason", one of the five British hostages held in Iraq since May 2007, is reported to have committed suicide.

[sorry - wrong thread]

2007 ended badly for the Bhutto family, 2008 hasn't started too well either, Naheed Bhutto, Benazir Bhutto's sister in law has just been killed in a car crash. ;)

Taking a brief respite from the DDP (the first few days are the worst, but it's okay) and looking elsewhere, I see another death from 2007 like Ms. Bhutto above, but not mentioned in that year, is that of Ken Parry, erstwhile actor in many a TV show, including Coronation Street & Z-Cars. He died, aged 77, on the 12th December.

(And no, he wasn't selected by anyone on the DDP either)

Hot on the heels of Parry, another character actor of British (or Irish) TV has gone - Peter Caffrey, who played Padraig in Ballykissangel. News Report here. He also appeared in an episode of Father Ted, amongst others.

Seeing as how OoO has nothing to do, the Princes of Thailand, Gaylani Vadhana has gone and died.

UK obit from the Guardian.

Salvatore "Bill" Bonanno, mobster and son of Mafioso/2002 DL success Joseph Bonanno, is dead.

The credits roll for GP Sippy, I'm guessing somewhere in the 350 odd teams there will be DDP points awaiting this news. BBC report

Journalist and broadcaster Shelley Rohde has died aged 74

Seeing as how OoO has nothing to do, the Princes of Thailand, Gaylani Vadhana has gone and died.

UK obit from the Guardian.

Oh crap, she was the sub on my DDP team. Hmph.

Anyway, just to avoid any of those "I had him/her on my shortlist" rows for the rest of the year, if any of the following people die during 2008, I would like it to be known that I considered them for my DDP team.... and maybe someone could tell me who John Turner is, because I've already forgotten.

Bruce Langhorne

Gary Kelly

Debbie Nelson (Eminem's mother)

Princess Galyani Vadhana

Carmen Bousada

Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed

Than Shwe

Zeljko Sturanovic

Phillip Jones Griffiths

Major Berrington Mkoma

Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw

Max Merritt

Rabbi Ovadia Yosef

Sam Galbraith

Ali Shah Geelani

Sir John Mortimer

Abdelaziz Bouteflika

Eddie Thompson

Sonia Peres

Jyoti Basu

Robert Fagles

Joseph Kony

Abdul Aziz al-Hakim

Colin Inglis

Linda McGill

Jack Poole

Pope Shenouda III of Alexandria

Patriarch Maxim of Bulgaria

Cahal Cardinal Daly

His Beatitude Patriarch Ignatius IV (Hazim) of Antioch

Patriarch Alexius II

David Giuliano

Sun Myung Moon

Jack van Impe

John Turner

George Blake

Yves Saint Laurant

Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Juan María Bordaberry

Girija Prasad Koirala

Philip Chevron

Ronald Isley

Steven Adler

Dr Charles E Friedgood

Krishna Prasad Bhattarai

Jack Cardiff

Alain Robert

Leon Febres Cordero

Daniel Geiges

Nusrat Bhutto

Larry James

Sheikh Fehmi Naji el-Imam

Harold Pinter

Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Sœur Emmanuelle

Lord Delamere

Commodore Frank Bainimarama

Princess Fawzia bint Fuad of Egypt

Sister Wendy Beckett

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei

The credits roll for GP Sippy, I'm guessing somewhere in the 350 odd teams there will be DDP points awaiting this news. BBC report

No, mainly because he died in 2007 & it was very well reported in that year & hadn't been chosen anyway prior to his death. It was even mentioned in the 2007 dead thread if you check.

Oh crap. Couldn't she have waited a few days?! I still have to process the last 50 teams, then send confirmation e-mails (about 150), then get the links together for the new competition (I know the links are dead right now - that's deliberate), then work out how the hell to work it out to update it when a celebrity dies and THEN... e-mail confirmation she's gone. ARRRRRRRGHHHHHH

Typical Princess. Selfish, always thinking about themselves. :banghead::D

Just to make it even worse for me (though I will admit it's much, much worse for him!)- boxer Choi Yo-sam has died after being injured in a boxing match in December - BBC report.

If anymore South East Asians could please wait a few more days before dying, it really would help.

At the moment, Choi is an unique pick, whereas I think about 10-15 teams picked Valdhani but I'll confirm that soon.

Finally, for now, a personal one. Some of you know that one of my sidelines (admittedly paid - though I do it for fun) is motor racing & its history. Well, one of my chief contributors & provider of valuable resources over the years died yesterday - Don Radbruch was his name & he was 83 years old.

He had been ill for some years, so it was no surprise but it is with great sadness when I discovered he had passed away.

He was also a noted author, so I hope there might be a local obit in the Idaho (where he lived) press.

:lol: Don, you'll be very, very much missed.

Right, must sort out this DDP mularkey. I'll surface again soon....

Kenyan athlete Lucas Sang, who represented his country at the 1988 Olympics, has been hacked to death by a group of machete wielding political protestors.

Kenyan athlete Lucas Sang, who represented his country at the 1988 Olympics, has been hacked to death by a group of machete weilding political protestors.

--------------------

"If men are men, there will be enough space for everyone who lives in Kosovo. But if men are not men, the entire planet will not be big enough for only two men, like it was in the times of Cain and Abel." ~ Patriarch Pavle of Serbia

Guess this would qualify as an unnatual cause. Here's wishing that the source of your quote is next.

Climate scientist Bert Bolin dies at 82

Couldn't stomach what we're doing to the planet a minute longer.

Former WBC light flyweight champion Choi Yo-sam has died after collapsing during a fight on Christmas Day. Missed this one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/7167435.stm

already mentioned here

Not often that a boxer dies after winning a fight

George McDonald Fraser, author of the "Flashman" novels, has died aged 82.

Oh, that's a shame, I used to like reading his books, though I treated them as pure frothy escapism. :lol:

Quite a lot of early deaths, I must admit..

Oh, by the way:-

Only 4 teams picked Princess Galdhani - no jokers.

3 people picked Choi Yoo-Sam, including one joker, so we have a clear leader already...

DDP website to be updated soon.