Death Watch Beatle

The Dead Of 2008

In the midst of all the is Slim Whitman dead or not palaver, the DDP has had another of it's candidates drop.

Although the Guardian (as usual, bless them) have f**ked up the age of the person & the date they died - more reliable sources have confirmed it was a death on the 21st January 2008.

The hit.... well, it's another hit for... TMIB!

Peggy Jay

By the way, the only thing reporting Whitman's death is this but if you read the comments underneath, the contributor got the info from Who's Dead & Who's Alive, who get their info from.... Wikipedia. :)

Although Find A Grave have him dead, along with two virtual floral wreaths, I suspect he is still alive & someone perhaps misheard a tribute for his birthday & thought that he was dead, I suspect.

Bugger me my luck's in! All I need is Lenox Hewitt for the hat trick...

Whitman's death is in Wikipedia, or is that wrong?

Just had an e-mail to say that Slim Whitman has died. I only realised a couple of weeks ago that he was still alive.

According to Wikipedia, he died just a day after his 84th birthday, missing out on a DDP party pooper bonus...

But even if he DID die on his birthday, it'd still be a miss as nobody picked him on DDP.

So long as you don't count the two that did.

Oops, I was being dumb and got the alphabetical order mixed up. Ah well, mistakes happen.

Just had an e-mail to say that Slim Whitman has died. I only realised a couple of weeks ago that he was still alive.

According to Wikipedia, he died just a day after his 84th birthday, missing out on a DDP party pooper bonus...

But even if he DID die on his birthday, it'd still be a miss as nobody picked him on DDP.

So long as you don't count the two that did.

Oops, I was being dumb and got the alphabetical order mixed up. Ah well, mistakes happen.

Mistake was mine, looks like I've done an iain on old Slim

Kenneth Eugene Parnell, one of America's most reviled criminals, has died in prison at the age of 76. He kidnapped a seven year old boy in 1972, the child was held for over seven years, before Parnell was arrested in 1980.

Has anyone mention Brad Renfro, or Heath Leger?

Has anyone mention Brad Renfro, or Heath Leger?

Perhaps you should check the "Heath Ledger" thread to find out.

Kenyan athlete Lucas Sang, who represented his country at the 1988 Olympics, has been hacked to death by a group of machete wielding political protestors.

Marathon runner Wesley Ngetich, 34, has been killed by a poisoned arrow during the continued political unrest in Kenya.

Reigning world marathon champion Luke Kibet has also been attacked by a mob armed with machetes, but managed to escape, presumably by outrunning his assailants.

Another star of Brokeback Mountain has died - Jack B Weil,, the vice-chair of Rockmount Ranch Wear, who supplied most of the clothes to the film.

This, however, is NOT the Jack A. Weil, 106 years young, of DDP selection fame, who, the report states, will continue to head the company.

Kenneth Eugene Parnell, one of America's most reviled criminals, has died in prison at the age of 76. He kidnapped a seven year old boy in 1972, the child was held for over seven years, before Parnell was arrested in 1980.

I was only reading about his victim Steven Stayner recently (very sad story, he ended up dying in motorbike accident at age 24 and his brother became a murderer). It never occured to me to pick Kenneth Parnell for any dead pools though

Now that is a way to go.

Can anyone name anyone else killed by a poison arrow in the last 100 years?

Marathon runner Wesley Ngetich, 34, has been killed by a poisoned arrow during the continued political unrest in Kenya.

martinfry02.jpg

Apart from him, obviously.

Guest Guest_dave_*
Now that is a way to go.

Can anyone name anyone else killed by a poison arrow in the last 100 years?

martinfry02.jpg

Apart from him, obviously.

How about this guy?

Another star of Brokeback Mountain has died - Jack B Weil,, the vice-chair of Rockmount Ranch Wear, who supplied most of the clothes to the film.

This, however, is NOT the Jack A. Weil, 106 years young, of DDP selection fame, who, the report states, will continue to head the company.

Is there a Jack C. Weil as well... :P

Apologies for the personal mentions, but these two deaths greatly saddened me in these past few weeks -

Fred Moore - Mr Dunstable was a hugely popular man in my former local town, as well as a being a successful businessman and local politician. He was also a very dear family friend, a great support to my mother upon her divorce, and attended, at 93 years of age, my sister's wedding in 2006. We shall all miss him very much. :P

However, his funeral, to which I intend going next week will be a happy affair, a celebration - just as the one I visited today, that of my cousin, Maurice Wilkes was as well. :( Maurice, you were a great guy.

Away from the personal, but sticking to another of my specialities - motor racing - former CART, NASCAR & US stalwart, Billie Harvey died in late 2007, aged only 57 & today came the news that Anders Olofsson, who raced & won in practically everything in Europe & Japan, bar Formula 1, died aged only 55.

Guest Guest_No Mere Nosebleed_*

Another recently departed racing driver is Tony Dean. He acheived fame by winning a Can-Am race, normally the province of hulking great V8 powered cars, in a 3 litre Porsche. He achieved another kind of fame (notoriety?) by illegally importing cigars into the UK inside the shell of a specially adapted racing car. Absolutely top bloke if you can forgive that particular indiscretion (which I can).

The final German WW1 veteran Erich Kaestner is dead at 107 and according to this article he croaked almost a month ago.

"Old soldiers never die; they just fade away."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5goEet6a...F4NM-AD8UD1A080

He was a World War I veteran. Hence, there's a thread just for people like him.

First DDP hit for VSBfromH - also mentioned previously on here, Evelyn Barbirolli, nee Rothwell, oboist & widow of Sir John - Telegraph Obit

I was doing some updates for the DDP at the time, so went looking for anything new, and lo & behold, she's gone, at the grand old age of 97. Well done to VSBfromH!

Another motor sports related death with Tony Ambrose. If only such major figures as this 74 year old former co-driver would stop dying we might just see Don Wittman written up somewhere.

Guest Guest_dave_*

THE founder of the Popular Fronft for the Liberation of Palestine George Habash has died at 81

First DDP hit for VSBfromH - also mentioned previously on here, Evelyn Barbirolli, nee Rothwell, oboist & widow of Sir John - Telegraph Obit

I was doing some updates for the DDP at the time, so went looking for anything new, and lo & behold, she's gone, at the grand old age of 97. Well done to VSBfromH!

Heavens! I should have had a lucky dip on the lottery tonight! Still, the dear lady was 97, bless her. I'm feeling quite smug looking at my sudden surge up the DDP table. I'm sure it won't last!

Genuinely sad that she won't be around for the Hallé's 150th birthday celebrations next week. I'm sure she'll get a well-deserved mention. :)

Christian Brando, troubled son of Marlon, has died aged 49:

Link

Heavens! I should have had a lucky dip on the lottery tonight! Still, the dear lady was 97, bless her. I'm feeling quite smug looking at my sudden surge up the DDP table. I'm sure it won't last!

Genuinely sad that she won't be around for the Hallé's 150th birthday celebrations next week. I'm sure she'll get a well-deserved mention. :)

I'm surprised that this is your first year in the DDP VSB. Good pick....;)

Guest Guest_dave_*
Apologies for the personal mentions, but these two deaths greatly saddened me in these past few weeks -

Fred Moore - Mr Dunstable was a hugely popular man in my former local town, as well as a being a successful businessman and local politician. He was also a very dear family friend, a great support to my mother upon her divorce, and attended, at 93 years of age, my sister's wedding in 2006. We shall all miss him very much. :)

However, his funeral, to which I intend going next week will be a happy affair, a celebration - just as the one I visited today, that of my cousin, Maurice Wilkes was as well. ;) Maurice, you were a great guy.

Away from the personal, but sticking to another of my specialities - motor racing - former CART, NASCAR & US stalwart, Billie Harvey died in late 2007, aged only 57 & today came the news that Anders Olofsson, who raced & won in practically everything in Europe & Japan, bar Formula 1, died aged only 55.

How come octopus is allowed to post personal obituaries-I bet none of the rest of us are!