Death Watch Beatle

The Dead Of 2008

Film director Jules Dassin has died aged 96. He sounded French, but he was an American and he lived and died in Greece. Picked by three DDP teams but never mentioned on the DL, he was once an assistant to Hitch, was blacklisted in the McCarthy era and his most well-known film was Never on Sunday. Nope, me neither.

Eh but the films are forever, directors are not. If only everyday life could be as essential and dramatic as it is portrayed on the big screen. The greatest aspect of modern film is even as times change and actors and actresses fade away there are still the classics to be born.

Triston Jay Amero, 26, a "troubled" American tourist who adopted the pseudonym Lestat Claudius de Orleans y Montevideo , has died in prison in Bolivia. He was no ordinary backpacker and his wanderings around Latin America ended in a madcap bombing plot which targetted a hotel in La Paz, killing two people. He and his co-conspirator - his 47 year old Uruguayan girlfriend- were jailed for 30 years, he still had 28 to serve.

According to the Associated Press, Amero passed himself off as a Saudi Arabian lawyer, a pagan high priest, a notary public and a vampire during earlier travels around South America.

Pedro Zaragoza Orts, former Mayor of Benidorm & "the man who started package holidays" according to The Times, no less, has died aged 85. Times Obit

He's the 2nd ex-mayor of Benidorm to die in the last 2 & a half years. Zaragoza certainly did a hell of a lot good for the town, the area & the country, but probably should've tied in all the excess before it became the behemoth it is today.

As I worked there for four years (mostly in the Spanish part, thankfully), I met Senor Zaragoza a few times.

Very much a traditionalist, a staunch Franco-ite (with a picture of the General still prominent in his office), but with an eye & an ear on the future at all times & a man who wasn't afraid of change.

He also had a devilish sense of humour & was brilliant in bringing fun to uptight social occasions. A pleasure to have the acquitance of him.

Guest KatCav

Klaus Dinger - Drummer with Neu!, died from heart failure aged 61.

Nicht für immer, after all.

... and a founding member of "Kraftwerk". Tried to get on last night to log this, but there seemed to be problems with the site.

Freddie Pye has died

A well known figure in football circles in the NW of England, he was formerly chairman of Stockport County and Wigan Athletic, and vice-chairman of Manchester City. He also managed Altrincham FC.

Britannia

Will not appear on British coinage for the first time in centuries.

Croatian First Division footballer, Hrvoje Ćustić, 26, has died of head injuries after colliding with a concrete wall which surrounded the pitch. Footage of the incident is on YouTube.

That's very sad. I salute Neu! One of the best bands ever. He also formed La Dusseldorf with his brother.

:rip:

:)

Frosty Freeze (Wayne Frost) of the "Rock Steady Crew", who did much to popularise breakdancing and appeared in the film "Flashdance" has died aged 44.

Frosty Freeze (Wayne Frost) of the "Rock Steady Crew", who did much to popularise breakdancing and appeared in the film "Flashdance" has died aged 44.

I remember the "Rock Steady Crew" one of the girls in my class at school got to meet them on the Saturday Show. It was the last ever episode and she got to dance with them. She was a bit of a spoilt brat anyway and not very well liked.

I was a bit annoyed that I didn't get to go on the show as they rejected my request to go on the show and all I got was a postcard with a pre-printed response

One of the girls in my class at school got to meet them on the Saturday Show. It was the last ever episode and she got to dance with them. She was a bit of a spoilt brat anyway and not very well liked.

I bet she was pretty, though

One of the girls in my class at school got to meet them on the Saturday Show. It was the last ever episode and she got to dance with them. She was a bit of a spoilt brat anyway and not very well liked.

I bet she was pretty, though

she wasn't bad looking. Just was really obnoxious

Artist Josef Mikl died last week - I swear I have done a search and the only thing that came up was Steve Irwin - so sorry if this has already been posted.

Steve Sinnott General secretary of the NUT dies

Didn't The Sun slag off the NUT as a bunch of old lefties the other day? They'll have to be a bit more muted now...

Yeah, well the silence might be filled by conspiracy theorists.

Guest Guest-o-tron

Yes! Finally i'm first! Charlton Heston dead according to BBC breaking news on the telly!

Guest Guest-o-tron

May I please suggest something referencing his famous "cold, dead hands" NRA speech? Thanks!

Yes! Finally i'm first! Charlton Heston dead according to BBC breaking news on the telly!

Yep, you were first. Unfortunately you didn't post it in his own thread, so by default (Unwritten rule 4 (announcements) para 7 section 3 sub section 11c) your post is not valid, and it goes to member Stark Nekkid n Montana at 05.24.

Hope this clears up that ruling.

Guest Guest-o-tron

Ahh, I tried, but unfortunately it wouldn't let me post as a guest in that forum, and I didn't want to take the time to register as someone may have pipped me!

Guest Guest-o-tron

I see he's only made 1 post and registered the same minute as I made mine, so looks like I took the swiftest action in what must be said an incredibly pointless and sad, yet satisfying victory in getting the first report after many attempts!

Ahh, I tried, but unfortunately it wouldn't let me post as a guest in that forum, and I didn't want to take the time to register as someone may have pipped me!

Casual readers I beseech you, register now to avoid those frustrating not-being-the-first-to-post-a-death-in-the-correct-place disappointments!!