Death Watch Beatle

The Dead Of 2008

Was anyone else aware he was Boris Johnson's father in law?

Nope, I wasn't, that's a role in life that'd put years on an already old man. Presumably CW had the odd late night call from his daughter along the lines of........'he's playing away again, Dad.'

Jim Henson didn't die of AIDS; he died of an organ failure in 1990.

This is probably the first time most people 7 or 8 years old actually experienced death of somebody they loved. Jim Henson was a beloved figure to most children in the states and when he died, this is probably the first time that the concept of death entered into our impressionable young minds.

I just noticed this comment.

I would argue that in some cases and say that Mel Blanc's death, a year earlier, was on the same level and so preceded Henson in loss factor- perhaps less of a shock, but, although I am some 5-6 years older than yourself, remember a heck of a lot of coverage in children's TV & tributes. I was about 11 & very saddened - I still have a lot of fondness for Blanc's genius today.

But everyone's different. In the US, you won't know him. But the death many at work & at home in the UK is talking about?

"Helms? Nah. Who's he? Wheeler, nah. Before my time. Jack Sugden's DEAD?!!?! "

Bozo dies

...UPDATE (he's still dead obviously) but I see phantom posted this earlier.

I blame your search function.

Soviet Actress Nonna Mordyukova has died. So far she only has a Russian language obit. It's odd I was only saying this morning how I was worried she may not get a UK obit (She's on my DDP team)that was before I realised she'd died

Here's the Russian one anyway

http://echo.msk.ru/news/525692-echo.html

Edit, for those who don't speak Russian, there's an English language (though not UK) obit here

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/07/07/...-Mordyukova.php

Habibullah Jan, never tipped hereabouts but another object lesson in the abilities of highly placed Afghanis to snag BBC reports and - thereby - qualify for DDP points scoring.

Guest Guest_dave_*

Philanthropist John Templeton has died at 95

Guest Guest_dave_*

British comedy actor Tony Melody ,star of Rule Brittania, has died at 85

British comedy actor Tony Melody ,star of Rule Brittania, has died at 85

Goodness! There's a blast from the past! (Tony Melody, not Dave!). Here is a link that does work (at least for now!)

"Also paying tribute was Jack German, a trick cyclist turned businessman..."

TV Writer Paul Makin has died aged 54. He created the cult comedy classic "Nightingales", which starred Robert Lindsay, James Ellis and David Threlfall, as well as contributing scripts for other TV shows.

I'm always singing the praises of "Nightingales" as a little gem which has been forgotten by most (first aired 1990, only ran for 2 seasons). Sad to see its creator dead at such a tender age.

Mak Erot

"Long life of Indonesia's penis growing grandma ends". :)

TV Writer Paul Makin has died aged 54. He created the cult comedy classic "Nightingales", which starred Robert Lindsay, James Ellis and David Threlfall, as well as contributing scripts for other TV shows.

I'm always singing the praises of "Nightingales" as a little gem which has been forgotten by most (first aired 1990, only ran for 2 seasons). Sad to see its creator dead at such a tender age.

Agreed... :)

Mak Erot

"Long life of Indonesia's penis growing grandma ends". :)

So, let's get this right.

Her name also spells Make Rot, her fame largely revolves around mystic powers used in helping others to lengthen their penises and her age is variously reported as between 103 and 130.

Was any snake oil found in her home, I wonder.

I couldn't get into that show, even though at the time I was working as a security guard. I found the acting in it to be terrible and the timing between the "punchlines" to be abysmal.

It was almost as terrible as that so-called comedy show starring James Bolam that takes place in an underground carpark.

Nick Sanderson who used to be in The Jesus & Mary Chain and more recently Earl Brutus, has died at the age of 47

Died about a month ago, but it's only just been announced

Golfer, Mike Souchak has died at the age of 81

Blimey, another World of Twist member gone. MC Shells would best be watching her step.

Nick Sanderson who used to be in The Jesus & Mary Chain and more recently Earl Brutus, has died at the age of 47

Died about a month ago, but it's only just been announced

I couldn't get into that show, even though at the time I was working as a security guard. I found the acting in it to be terrible and the timing between the "punchlines" to be abysmal.

It was almost as terrible as that so-called comedy show starring James Bolam that takes place in an underground carpark.

Suit yourself. Mind you, you live in sitcom Eldorado don't you?... :)

I thought Eldorado was that awful soap opera that was on Channel 5

BBC1 in fact....(1990s TV was crap.....discuss)

BBC1 in fact....(1990s TV was crap.....discuss)

Couldn't remember the channel it was on. If I remember rightly the script was as compelling as the one for Albion Market.

The only thing I remember about that was Helen Shapiro was in it as a hairdresser