Death Watch Beatle

The Dead Of 2008

Joey Giardello

The former world middleweight boxing champion, has died aged 78.

He successfully defended his title against Rubin "Hurricane" Carter in 1964. The depiction of this fight in the film "The Hurricane" led to him filing a federal lawsuit, and he eventually settled out of court for an undisclosed sum.

"For 19 years, I fought the greatest fighters around and I beat Carter fair and square," ... "I just wanted to set the record straight, and I think it has been"

Put in a prison cell, but one time he coulda been

The champion of the world.

If he hadn'ta lost to Joey.

In 2007, South African footballer Jacob Lekgetho was reported dead in a car crash. Indeed, it might still be on the DL somewhere. South African football mourned. But then it rejoiced, as the story was a hoax.

In 2008, South African footballer Jacob Lekgetho was reported dead from a long illness (euphemism down there for AIDS, I'm afraid). This time, however, it is no hoax at all & so Jacob joins fellow & equally unfortunate African Marc-Vivien Foe as having been a participiant of the 2002 World Cup who is no longer alive.

South African football is not having a good time of it lately...

Peter Glossop, the great British baritone of the 1960s has died at the age of 80. Perhaps the thought of this was too much for him.

I suppose we'd better record Fleetwood Pier on this thread. It's getting to be a habit in the UK.......whaddya reckon, accident or insurance job?

I suppose we'd better record Fleetwood Pier on this thread. It's getting to be a habit in the UK.......whaddya reckon, accident or insurance job?

Maybe there should be a new thread entitled "Piers of the Realm".

They're all getting to that age now where renovation becomes prohibitively expensive. If you think about ships, which are exposed to the same elements, how many are still carrying out their original function? There are one or two museum pieces, but they are very coddled. Sad as it might seem, I don't think we should grieve too much at their passing. Maintain one or two good examples maybe, but general splurging by heritage funds is pissing in the wind. There are much more worthy causes for lottery money. Opera for instance.

Talking of piers that could be set afire - that Piers Morgan would be top of my list.

Vernon Handley, respected conductor, has died aged 77.

Sad news. A stalwart of the British classical music scene for many years.

VSB: You're obviously a person of great taste, given the avatar. Do you rate Shameless as highly as the avatar would suggest?

The MPFC family have recently been over a few old and much loved episodes on DVD, that moment in the series 3 New Year special when Kevin's car breaks in half and he rings the wide boy who sold it, only to be told the fella can't talk because; 'My dog's on a badger.' Classic eh?

Saleh Aridi. Not a very nice guy, prone to blowing up in front of the neighbours.

Reports are around of the death of former Laotian President Nouhak Phoumsavanh at the age of 94 (rather than the 98 quoted in the IHT article). I mention it only because I am desperate for some DDP points.

Reports are around of the death of former Laotian President Nouhak Phoumsavanh at the age of 94 (rather than the 98 quoted in the IHT article). I mention it only because I am desperate for some DDP points.

Once again, the Guardian copies & pastes & Twelvetrees has some points

Well done, I'll update it soon. Another pick, Harry Kozol died in August, but he has not had a UK obituary, despite getting a NY Times one.

Phoumsavanh becomes the first ever Laotian hit on the DDP - hurrah! :crossbone:

British Conductor Vernon Hanley has died aged 77.

Look above.

Unless, of course, he went below. :crossbone:

VSB: You're obviously a person of great taste, given the avatar. Do you rate Shameless as highly as the avatar would suggest?

The MPFC family have recently been over a few old and much loved episodes on DVD, that moment in the series 3 New Year special when Kevin's car breaks in half and he rings the wide boy who sold it, only to be told the fella can't talk because; 'My dog's on a badger.' Classic eh?

Yes, MPFC, you have found me out! Frank should be held up as a role model for us all. I think the series did take a bit of a dip a while back, but the last one was back on track. Sheila and Marty were probably 2 of my favourite characters, and I was sad to see them go. But it is a tribute to the writers that they can gradually introduce new characters and flesh them out as they go along. I couldn't stand the Maguire family at first, but now the exploits of Shane and Mickey are hilarious!

My other half starred in an episode of the last series...

Yes, MPFC, you have found me out! Frank should be held up as a role model for us all. I think the series did take a bit of a dip a while back, but the last one was back on track. Sheila and Marty were probably 2 of my favourite characters, and I was sad to see them go. But it is a tribute to the writers that they can gradually introduce new characters and flesh them out as they go along. I couldn't stand the Maguire family at first, but now the exploits of Shane and Mickey are hilarious!

My other half starred in an episode of the last series...

Aye, funnily enough, I know a guy who had a part in the first Christmas special. I love Shameless I do.

George Putnam, US news stalwart, has died.

If he gets an obit, and Kozol doesn't, he'll be the 600th all-time DDP hit.

Also not a good time to be a P on the DP stakes - Phoumsavanh, Page, Putnam...

Shark hunter Frank Mundus, has died of a heart attack aged 82. He was the inspiration for the character Quint in 'Jaws'

His autobiography was titled '50 Years As A Hooker'

Lehman Brothers is reportedly filing bankruptcy.

This is huge news in the States, and this could either mean that the market has hit the bottom and the worse is over ... or sh*t has really hit the fan and the financial markets will be hurting for a long time.

Lehman Brothers is reportedly filing bankruptcy.

This is huge news in the States, and this could either mean that the market has hit the bottom and the worse is over ... or sh*t has really hit the fan and the financial markets will be hurting for a long time.

For a second there I thought I'd gone into the DL dead 2008 thread.

Silly me, this is of course, the finance thread of a North American money-market forum. What was I thinking? Let me just go and pop some deadpool info onto Forbes.com.

Guest Bridgette Nielsen

Erik Nielsen who was the vice leader of Canada in the 80s has died of a heart attack. He was the brother of Naked Gun star Leslie Nielson.

Richard Wright, founder member of Pink Floyd has died according to the BBC. No report as yet