Death Watch Beatle

The Dead Of 2008

Fraserburgh's branch of Woolworths died today.

The good news for the townspeople is that they will all become richer, as there is nowhere else in the town for them to spend their money.

Not strictly true, Winnie old man - you can get a blow job for a fiver off my mum.

I see.

Does she take Woolies vouchers?

Fraserburgh's branch of Woolworths died today.

The good news for the townspeople is that they will all become richer, as there is nowhere else in the town for them to spend their money.

Not strictly true, Winnie old man - you can get a blow job for a fiver off my mum.

I see.

Does she take Woolies vouchers?

It's her preferred method of payment. She'd take a handful of magic beans if you had them.

Bert "Sailor" Brown has died aged 93.

England football international, capped 6 times. He appeared in 4 successive Wembley cup finals, albeit the first 3 were "wartime" League Cup South finals. The fourth was in the Charlton side beaten by Derby in the first post-war FA Cup final.

Eric Charles Twelves Wilson, Victoria Cross recipient, has died at 96, reducing the amount of living recipients to nine.

Saw the very old Lord Tweedsmuir in a BBC Documentary about his dad, John Buchan. Didn't realise he'd died in July, interesting story, sounds a real character.

England football international, capped 6 times. He appeared in 4 successive Wembley cup finals, albeit the first 3 were "wartime" League Cup South finals. The fourth was in the Charlton side beaten by Derby in the first post-war FA Cup final.

Stop press:

Apparently he was the oldest surviving footballer to have been capped by England, so I wonder who takes over that mantle now? Could very well be Bert Williams, born 31 Jan 1920?

Vigilante killer Ellie Nesler died.

With a name like that, maybe she thought she was Untouchable

Interesting story, especially the part about her son going on to become a murderer. She sort of reminds me of the evil nurse/mother in The World According to Garp, as played by Glenn Close in the film version.

Lark Previn, the adopted daughter of Mia Farrow and Andre Previn died aged 35 on Christmas Day. Her funeral is today, I wonder if her stepfather and brother in law, Woody Allen has been invited?

Lark Previn, the adopted daughter of Mia Farrow and Andre Previn died aged 35 on Christmas Day. Her funeral is today, I wonder if her stepfather and brother in law, Woody Allen has been invited?

Let's hope for her father's sake the Funeral March notes are played in the right order... :)

Stop press:

Apparently he was the oldest surviving footballer to have been capped by England, so I wonder who takes over that mantle now? Could very well be Bert Williams, born 31 Jan 1920?

Williams is second, I believe, to good ol' Phil Taylor.

Good thing she died before Woody asked her out.

Stop press:

Williams is second, I believe, to good ol' Phil Taylor.

Good spot! My research wasn't thorough enough (done in my lunch break) - I just looked at those who, like Sailor, played in the wartime games. Taylor, unusually, got his 3 caps in 1947 when he was around 30.

Here's a late one for 2008 (died on Tuesday): Actor Bernie Hamilton, who played Captain Dobey in "Starksy and Hutch", has died aged 80.

Personal one for my family - Rev. Douglas R. Clyne.

He was minister of Fraserburgh's Old Parish Church for 31 years.

In that time he conducted the funeral of my great great grandmother, married my great grandfather to his second wife, conducted the funerals of two other great grandparents, married my gran and her second husnand, married my parents, baptized my sister and me, and came out of retirement to marry my sister and her husband in May 2008.

He was also a great friend of my mother, whom he appointed an Elder of the Church of Scotland in 2004.

He was one of the few good things to happen to Fraserburgh, the sad thing being that his own session practically betrayed him in the end.

Someone who slipped out of the radar in 2008 was the comic book author Fred Baker, who died in June. He was the writer of Billy's Boots and Hot-Shot Hamish amongst others...

Someone who slipped out of the radar in 2008 was the comic book author Fred Baker, who died in June. He was the writer of Billy's Boots and Hot-Shot Hamish amongst others...

More people might have taken notice if he was the creator of Billy's Boobs and Hot-sh*t Hashish.

John Ringham, profilic character actor in virtually every TV show going has died, aged 80.

I am very saddened by this, I always enjoyed his performances. He was great as the Headmaster in Woof!

He actually died on October 20th.. I wonder why it's only just been announced now?

So am I Octopus. I'll never forget his turn as Penny's Dad in Just Good Friends.

And in the 'Indiana Jones' parody Terry's Chocolate Orange ad...

Appeared in the first series of Doctor Who too, in The Aztecs...

RIP

Just as a post-script:

I finally got round to seeing 'Wallander', starring Kenneth Branagh. Recorded it in December. There's a scene in a hospital, where, shortly before Kurt collapses, he asks this patient, shuffling slowly down the corridor for some change.

And the old fella was played by none other than John Ringham! It was what the character said that struck me.

"I die in three weeks, what would I want money for?"

So John was still working to the end....