Death Watch Beatle

The Dead Of 2008

Guest Disgruntled Manxie

Euromanx

Speaking of music legends, Lionel Nutley. Well, he was a legend in Cumbria.

Scoop! American ice cream man Irv Robbins has melted at the age of 90. Too bad he didn't die at 99, on a Sundae.

300px-BaskinRobbinsMpegMan.jpg

That joke was a bit flakey. You're obviously nuts (and strawberry sauce).

Oh, TAFKAG's just baskin' in the knickerbocker glory of that bit of punmanship.

But has now become the victim of some crafty punupmanship.

I wonder if there will be hundreds and thousands of guests at the funeral

Another country singer has died. Jerry Wallace who had a hit in 1972 with the song If You Leave Me Tonight I'll Cry has died at the age of 79

Turkish-born diva Leyla Gencer has died aged 79. She performed many times at La Scala and was artistic director of the Singing Academy there at the time of her death.

Joseph Miko, a camera man, who captured extensive footage of the Hungarian Revolution of 1956, has died of blood cancer at the age of 87. The man filmed massive raids of Hungarian rebels fighting in the streets of Budapest, including a frenzy of protesters running for their lives as the secret police shot them down.

Bill Hargrove, the nation's oldest league bowler, who couldn't even see the pins at the show down of his life, has died at the age of 106. I never really went bowling much, but I realize bowling takes a lot of perspective. Sometimes life is sort of like bowling.

Yeah...everything is rolling along smoothly, then all of a sudden, you're in the gutter. Nice "life analogy".

Hefty article on death of Nuala O'Faolain.

Damn Damn Damn...Hoping she would make Sept for CP's pool.

I'm surprised no-one has already posted it, but Irene Sendler (or Sendlerowa in Polish) has died, aged 98. Link

I know FF mentioned her in dispatches here before (and picked her on the CPDP???) & she was certainly on my DDP "outer list", but surprisingly (I say surprisingly as Nicholas Winton was quite a popular pick) , no-one picked her for the DDP.

An inspirational & very brave lady, that's for sure. RIP.

I'm surprised no-one has already posted it, but Irene Sendler (or Sendlerowa in Polish) has died, aged 98. Link

I know FF mentioned her in dispatches here before (and picked her on the CPDP???) & she was certainly on my DDP "outer list", but surprisingly (I say surprisingly as Nicholas Winton was quite a popular pick) , no-one picked her for the DDP.

An inspirational & very brave lady, that's for sure. RIP.

:D indeed. Anybody who risks their life to save a large amount of people has my respect.

Seamus Casey, a Christchurch opera singer, who had a face which looked as if it had been expanded, is dead after being hit by a car in Sydney. :D

Hugh Bradner, the inventor of the wetsuit, has died at the age of 92. I never went scuba diving before, but I met somebody who dived for the Discovery channel once. He was dating a rich whore who had been divorced five times. I bet he must have wanted her for the money.

Pop artist Robert Rauschenberg has popped his clogs.

I see I was thinking about him here last year. Then forgot about him. Bugger.

Larry Levine, Phil Spector's recording engineer at the time he was perfecting the "Wall of Sound" technique, has died on his eightieth birthday. He was suffering severe emphysema, so I doubt any candles have gone to waste. :D

The Scots author Jeff Torrington has died at the age of 72 having lived with Parkinson's disease since his 40s; despite writing only two novels, half of his output ('Swing Hammer, Swing') won the Whitbread Prize for fiction in 1992 and he was regarded as a major figure on the Scottish literary scene.

Bernandin Gantin, Benin's most famous person ever** has died. For aeons, he was Africa's (and indeed one of the world's) most influential & high-profile Roman Catholic cardinal. More here...

(**I presume - can anyone name anyone else from Benin? Maybe we should have a thread devoted to Beninese celebrities. It's about time, after all....)

DDP hit too - unique pick & 13th bonus. Not a bad lot.

(**I presume - can anyone name anyone else from Benin? Maybe we should have a thread devoted to Beninese celebrities. It's about time, after all....)

Only if they're hospitalised surely.

The only Beninese I've heard of is the singer Angélique Kidjo. And I didn't know she was from Benin till about five minutes ago.

I think I heard about someone from there named "Andrew Jetz" and he was written into folklore by Elton John.

Bernandin Gantin, Benin's most famous person ever** has died. For aeons, he was Africa's (and indeed one of the world's) most influential & high-profile Roman Catholic cardinal. More here...

DDP hit too - unique pick & 13th bonus. Not a bad lot.

** How about Djimon Hounsou, who had a major role in "Gladiator" and was nominated for an Oscar for his perfromance in "In America"? I would say he's more famous than the cardinal fellow.