Sign in to follow this  
Saint Peter

Ken Dodd

Beyond his comedy gigs (I believe a short one would run to 10 hours) and novelty singles (Tears was a UK Number 1!), he was also quite good in Branagh's Hamlet, and his Doctor Who cameo is far better than the Ian Levine type fans will have you believe.

Apparently he married his missus of 40+ years on Friday.

• Like 2

Apparantely he got married to his long term partner on Friday which suggests he knew he was on the way out and wanted to get his financial and legal  affairs in order. One of the shortest marriages ever ! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

wanted to get his financial and legal  affairs in order.

Final bit of tax evading from the master.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dedd.

Goal!

DDP Hit.

Other DP hits.

Gawd bless ya Sir Ken. RIP.

A sad passing, one of the true legends of variety entertainment, and still entertaining audiences right up until his death. Like Bruce Forsyth, Dodd was unique in his clean attitude to comedy,  and could capture the imagination of young and old with his range of ability.

• Like 4

Tatty bye 

St Peter will make sure that he settles his tax bill at the pearly gates

Surely one of the shortest periods between Knighthood and death.......!

A comedy legend - probably the last comedian who did his act without resorting to swear words to guarantee/encourage a laugh.

Of course a lot of his humour was quite rude in a gentle way, Happiness being the most obvious.

RIP Sir Ken

3 hours ago, Dead Wait said:

Surely one of the shortest periods between Knighthood and death.......!

Try Sir Robert Stephens

9 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Apparantely he got married to his long term partner on Friday which suggests he knew he was on the way out and wanted to get his financial and legal  affairs in order. One of the shortest marriages ever ! 

One suspects it was more of a financial arrangement aimed at giving one final kicking to the poor boys and girls of HMR&C than anything necessarily romantic in origin. Though I'm sure he had a highly pronounced sentimental side

• Like 1

Gary Delaney on Twitter said:

:lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Try Sir Robert Stephens

Naim Dangoor died less than two months after receiving a knighthood, that's the shortest gap I could find in five minute's googling.

• Like 1

The great Alan Bates lasted 9 months (he was suffering from pancreatic cancer at the time of award and struggled to make the ceremony). There is another actor, household name, I am pretty sure lasted days/weeks after the actual ceremony (another known to be seriously ill with cancer), but I am struggling on who it was right now. It'll come back to me.

Conductor Jeffrey Tate lasted 5 months; knighted New Year, dead 2nd June, 2017.

Just now, msc said:

The great Alan Bates lasted 9 months (he was suffering from pancreatic cancer at the time of award and struggled to make the ceremony). There is another actor, household name, I am pretty sure lasted days/weeks after the actual ceremony (another known to be seriously ill with cancer), but I am struggling on who it was right now. It'll come back to me.

Dudley Moore?

Nick Clegg OTOH, received his knighthood 6 months after his political career died.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Dudley Moore?

CBE, no?

Not Sir Humphrey either as he got his in 2000 a year before his (untimely) demise.

Sad about Ken.A brilliant comic.Another vase like Bruce where you think they will go on forever.Shocked at how quickly he died.

Just now, msc said:

CBE, no?

Not Sir Humphrey either as he got his in 2000 a year before his (untimely) demise.

My bad.

Golfer Henry Cotton had been notified of his knighthood, accepted it, then died before it was publicly announced.

• Like 1

Sir David Mackay was announced in December 2015, and died in April 2016. Not quite a household name, admittedly.

45 minutes ago, time said:

Nick Clegg OTOH, received his knighthood 6 months after his political career died.

I forgot he was a Sir.....I must’ve put it down to being a very weird dream.......!!