Sign in to follow this  
Guest sun wukong

Sun Wukong's Deadpool Game

Guest sun wukong

I did a death list similar to your own from 1978 until 2003, when I moved to China and out of the zone.

My list also consisted of 50 people, but I wasn't allowed ANYBODY from the previous year, which makes it much more of a challenge - I couldn't just keep putting a swathe of the same wrinklies year in year out. It was excruciating when terminally ill people like Mitterand, Ian Dury, Helen Wills-Moody staggered into another year after being on for the previous one, and Lord Porritt booked out "a few minutes into the New Year"

I also had to recreate the age balance of the previous year's celebrity deaths, which invariably meant at least four or five under 50s.

I think a change in your rules to forbid annual repititions, and maybe encourage more predictions of premature demise, would make it more interesting.

Incidentally, my best performance was 10, which I achieved in 1989, 1995 and 1997.

I did a death list similar to your own from 1978 until 2003, when I moved to China and out of the zone.

My list also consisted of 50 people, but I wasn't allowed ANYBODY from the previous year, ...

I also had to recreate the age balance of the previous year's celebrity deaths, which invariably meant at least four or five under 50s.

I think a change in your rules to forbid annual repititions, and maybe encourage more predictions of premature demise, would make it more interesting.

Incidentally, my best performance was 10, which I achieved in 1989, 1995 and 1997.

Thanks for your post, wukong!

Perhaps if we had to have a proportion of our candidates who were "list virgins", that might be an idea (I don't even know the actual rules of DL; that's my least-read thread), but not all of them. We need perennial favourites like C. Dunn, K. Richards, Maggie Thatch et al to be able to be listed, just for the sake of sanity/schadenfreude, do we not?

Welcome wukong, a true dead pool pioneer. The DL rule is there can only be 25 names carried over from the previous year. The selection committee tries to avoid picking people who are more old than famous, but we've also found there's a lot more chatter when people on the list go, so the list does skew towards the well-known elderly and infirm. Having said that, when Derby Dead Pool entrants come up with gold medal selections like Steve 'Croc Hunter' Irwin, Anna Nicole Smith and, this year, Brad Renfro, they have to be congratulated.

Getting 10 hits with a no carry-over stipulation is impressive, so please let us know if you have any hot tips for 2009.

I'm curious, who were the hits, especially in those three 10 hit years?

Hi Sun Wukong, I like your rule about listing without re-using any names.

I'm now wondering what my 50 name list would be so I'll have a go at seeing if I can bust through your 10 out of 50.

Below in time I'll post my "Sun Wukong 50".

OK here is my list:-

50 Cent, Jane Andrews, Adam Ant, Gianbcarlo Antognioni, Tom Arnold, Tariq Aziz(2015), Bob Barker, Captain Beefheart(2010), Chuck Berry, Ray Bradbury(2012), Sarah Brady(2015), Christodoulos, Arthur C Clarke, Leon Febres Cordero, Gerard Depardieu, Bo Diddley, Janez Drnovsek, Patricia C Dunn(2011), Elizabeth Edwards(2010), Robert Evans, Eddie Fisher(2010), Estelle Getty, Gary Glitter, Alex Higgins(2010), Ian Huntley, BB King(2015), Jack Klugman(2012), Lynn Kolman, Sidney Lumet(2011), Shih Ming-Teh, Cliff Morgan(2013), Jim Nabors, Manuel Noriega, Richard O'Sullivan, Sydney Pollack, PJ Proby, Little Richard, Keith Richards, Maximilian Schell(2014), Enice Kennedy Shriver(2009), Lydia Shum, Yves St. Laurent, Judge John Paul Stevens, Suharto, Jeremy Thorpe(2014), Zdravko Tolimir(2016), Victor Willis, Kay Walsh(2005), Brian Wilson and Norman Wisdom(2010).

(PS Red died in the right year, orange already dead - Doh! and blue died since)

That's including 1st timers from this years list but not any from 50 name lists (or lesser) I've so far put together. However it does include names from my 68 name lists from many privious years and a few from my current CPDP theme team. Seeing as I'm yet to get a hit on my shadow list I'm thinking of making this long shot list my signature DL 50! PS. updated this post in 2009 and marked all those I think expired in 2008 from my "Sun Wukong 50" and find I've not too badly at 11 out of 50.

Is there any documentrary evidence of this? An old scrap of paper? I'm not disputing your claim, but for the sake of historical verisimilitude etc.

Mind you, where is the documentary evidence for the Deathlists early efforts? ;)

Mind you, where is the documentary evidence for the Deathlists early efforts? ;)

Over there, next to the unwritten rulebook.

Oh a long lost thread. I did still put together a "Sun Wukong 50 List" again at the start of this year in my spread sheat but never posted it in the forum. You will have to take it as read but I'm not on form with this format this year - only 6 hits from 50 so far.

Abdelbaset Al Megrahi (2012), Muhammad Ali (2016), Iyad Allawi, Anastacia, Sir Malcom Arnold (2006), Susan Atkins, Seve Ballasteros(2011), Stanley Beckford (2007), Silvio Berlusconi, Ernest Borgnine(2012), Jack Bruce(2014), James Whitey Bulger, Jim J Bullock, George HW Bush, Kermit Driscoll, Shelley Fabares, Marianne Faithfull, Sir Ranulph Fiennes, Michael Foot(2010), Betty Ford(2011), John Forsythe(2010), Corey Haim(2010) Abdul Aziz al-Hakim, Nikki Hunter, Hamed Karzai, Ted Kennedy, Larry King, Jack Klugman-ineligible-picked previous year-doh, Ed Koch(2013), Claude Levi-Strauss, Countney Love, Shane MacGowan, Charles Manson, Noel Martin, Cliff Morgan-ineligible-picked previous year-doh, Hosni Mubarak, Bob Novak, Ozzy Osbourne, PJ Proby-ineligible-picked previous year-doh, Nancy Reagan(2016), Wendy Richard, Oral Roberts, Shaun Ryder, Curtis Salgado, Jimmy Savile(2011), Vojislav Seselj, Patrick Swayze, Charlie Watts, Owen Wilson and Amy Winehouse(2011).

PP with CLS and Oral Roberts it takes me to 9 out of 45.

You will have to take it as read but I'm not on form with this format this year - only 6 hits from 50 so far.

Sir Malcom Arnold, Stanley Beckford

Well no wonder you've only got 6 hits.

Malcolm Arnold died in 2006 & Stanley Beckford in 2007.....

Mind, I was so impressed with Ali's scientific selection methods as explained at DL Con II that I put 'Chemical' Tolimir down as my first choice for the current DDP.

The bastard is still breathing. Is Ali coming to DL Con III?

You will have to take it as read but I'm not on form with this format this year - only 6 hits from 50 so far.

Sir Malcom Arnold, Stanley Beckford

Well no wonder you've only got 6 hits.

Malcolm Arnold died in 2006 & Stanley Beckford in 2007.....

Really? oh-dear! Thanks!!!

Post number 8 modified.

Mind, I was so impressed with Ali's scientific selection methods as explained at DL Con II that I put 'Chemical' Tolimir down as my first choice for the current DDP.

The bastard is still breathing. Is Ali coming to DL Con III?

From his Wiki page:

"On October 5, 2007, the registry of the ICTY announced their assessment of Tolimir's health as “grave, fragile and highly alarming”, and that Tolimir was refusing blood pressure treatment for an inoperable brain aneurism. Tolimir had previously stated that he planned to represent himself during the trial."

So "the bastard" made it through 2008 and with this type of write-up I would expect a modicum of success in 2009. Granted we are yet to have it, but we still have another 2 whole months to go!

cut and paiste from the ICTY web site:

A Status Conference in the case of Zdravko Tolimir will be held tomorrow at 10:00 in Courtroom III.

... cut and paiste from the ICTY web site:

Shouldn't that go in the dead drummers thread?

Before I get my coat, let me just add that this thread is surely the mootest of moot threads, given that the DL is picked by committee and doesn't have any public rules as such (I didn't check these facts). Maybe we could render the thread title more relevant to those who discuss their own selection criteria here by substituting the 'The List' for 'Your List' or 'My List'?

Edit:

... this thread is surely the mootest of moot threads ...
and yet I've posted twice on the first page of it. So this is what shame feels like...

Did you know that Rollo didn't go to the library or the livery stables?

My idea is this, If you aren't content with how this place runs and think you can do better then go off and try it.

It's the time for lists and I keep coming back to this format - put together a 50 name list but not include any carry-over names from previous years.

Vasily Aleksanyan(2011), Jose Alencar(2011), Malcolm Allison, Lance Armstrong, John Ashcroft, Richard Attenborough(2014), Robert Byrd, Sid Caeser(2014), Philip Carlo, Henry Cecil(2013), Dick Clark (2012), Basil D'Oliveira(2011), Richard DeVos, Mad Frankie Fraser(214), Paul Gascoigne, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Al Goldstein(2013), Eydie Gorme(2013), King Harald V of Norway, John Hartson, Nicky Henson, Derryn Hinch, Dennis Hopper, Marilyn Horne, Jenna Jameson, Ken Kercheval, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Larry Kramer, Sylvia Kristel(2012), Bill Janklow(2012), Daniel Johnston, George Jones, Kim Jong-Il(2011), Patti LaBelle, Tommy Lee, Lindsay Lohan, Chemical ali Hassan al-Majid, Diego Maradona, Paul Marsden, Paul Mason, John McCain, Rev Sun Myung Moon(2012), Shelley Morrison, Bess Myerson (2014), Oscar Niemeyer(2012), Zelda Rubinstein, Bob Schieffer, Chuck Strahl, Scott Weiland(2015) and Pres. Asif Ali Zardari of Pakistan.

Aiming to get 11 or more hits out of 50.

P.S. Got just 6 out of 50.

It's the time for lists and I keep coming back to this format - put together a 50 name list but not include any carry-over names from previous years.

Vasily Aleksanyan, Jose Alencar, Malcolm Allison, Lance Armstrong, John Ashcroft, Richard Attenborough, Robert Byrd, Sid Caeser, Philip Carlo, Henry Cecil, Dick Clark, Basil D'Oliveira, Richard DeVos, Mad Frankie Fraser, Paul Gascoigne, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Al Goldstein, Eydie Gorme, King Harald V of Norway, John Hartson, Nicky Henson, Derryn Hinch, Dennis Hopper, Marilyn Horne, Jenna Jameson, Ken Kercheval, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Larry Kramer, Sylvia Kristel, Bill Janklow, Daniel Johnston, George Jones, Kim Jong-Il, Patti LaBelle, Tommy Lee, Lindsay Lohan, Chemical ali Hassan al-Majid, Diego Maradona, Paul Marsden, Paul Mason, John McCain, Rev Sun Myung Moon, Shelley Morrison, Bess Myerson, Oscar Niemeyer, Zelda Rubinstein, Bob Schieffer, Chuck Strahl, Scott Weiland & Pres. Asif Ali Zardari of Pakistan.

Aiming to get 11 or more hits.

I really like Allison, Cecil, D'Oliveira, chemical Ali, Kristel and Moon as picks.

Good luck.

There are a plethora of dead pool competitions, for sure. But still, I like coming back to this Sun Wukong one. Think about it - it may take a bit of doing but it is a good test in itself.

Put together a list of 50 names - all persons of which, you have never before picked in other deadpools.

Yep, a list of all your best overlooked names and new names to you this year.

Anyone else want to have a go at this format can enter at any time. That's right any-time - just post your team of 50 and your game ends exactly at the end of the calendar year.

No fancy web site - but I'll do an interesting prize to any new "winner" to make up for that.

I'll take a paper copy of the entry so no one has a chance to quibble.

But with the recurring tally. It's intersting to see how many times a target has starved off death, and it's curious to see if they have more life in them as they painfully drag on. Like Suharto, or John Paul.

So as I said, 50 more names from my studies that I've never picked before....

Lauren Bacall(2014), Danny Baker, Kenny Baker (2016), Jacques Barzun(2012), Dave Brubeck(2012), Elliot Carter(2012), Claude Choules, Ronald H Coase(2013), Liz Dawn, Phyllis Diller(2012), Michael Douglas, Peter Falk, Aretha Franklin, James Garner(2014), Bryant Gumbel, Merle Haggard (2016), Olivia de Haviland, Denis Healey (2015), Bobby Heenen, Christopher Hitchens, Delores Hope, Whitney Houston (2012), John Hume, Guy Innes-Ker, Kathryn Joosten (2012), Mikhail Timofeyevich Kalashnikov(2013), Barbara Kent, Helmut Kohl, Jack La Lanne, Brian Lenihan, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Tom Lubbock, Nelson Mandela(2013), Dom Mintoff(2012), Roger Moore, Harry Morgan, Peter O'Toole(2013), Sara Payne, Steve Prescott(2013), Luise Rainer(2014), Helmut Schmidt (2015), Ravi Shankar(2012), Norman Spinrad, Owsley Stanley, Pat Summerall(2013), Desmond Tutu, Mike Wallace (2012) Russell Watson, Gene Wilder (2016) and Anna Wing(2013).

Aim to clear more than 11 hits during the year.

PS - 02/Jan/2011 - so it's just me again then!

PPS - 24/Jan/2011 - 2nd hit - now thats a better ratio than my main list!

PPPS - 15/Mar/2011 - 3rd hit

10 hits by the end of the year.

See post number 17 above - going for a re-launch of this game format.

You can join-in any time now.

Winner's Scoreboard.

1st - 9th Jan 2015 to 31st Dec 2015 - 16 hits - Captain Chorizo

2nd - 1st Jan 2014 to 31st Dec 2014 - 13 hits - Rotten Ali

3rd - 20th Jan 2008 to 31st Dec 2008 - 11 hits - Rotten Ali

=4th - 1st Jan 2013 to 31st Dec 2013 - 11 hits - Rotten Ali

=4th - 1st Jan 2015 to 31st Dec 2015 - 11 hits - Rotten Ali

=6th - 1st Jan 1989 to 31st Dec 1989 - 10 hits - Sun Wukong

=6th - 1st Jan 1995 to 31st Dec 1995 - 10 hits - Sun Wukong

=6th - 1st Jan 1997 to 31st Dec 1997 - 10 hits - Sun Wukong

=6th - 1st Jan 2011 to 31st Dec 2011 - 10 hits - Rotten Ali

=10th - 1st Jan 2009 to 31st Dec 2009 - 9 hits - Rotten Ali

=10th - 1st Jan 2012 to 31st Dec 2012 - 9 hits - Rotten Ali

Unknown - 1st Jan 2010 to 31st Dec 2010 - 6 hits - Rotten Ali

37th - 11th Aug 2015 to 31st Dec 2015 - 1 hit - Deathray

(about 24 Unknown Scores by Sun Wukong 1978 to 2003)

(updated 8th January 2016)

See post number 17 above - going for a re-launch of this game format. You can join-in any time now.

Winner's Scoreboard.

1st - 1st Jan 2008 to 31st Dec 2008 - 11 Hits - Rotten Ali

=2nd - 1st Jan 1997 to 31st Dec 1997 - 10 Hits - Sun Wukong

=2nd - 1st Jan 1995 to 31st Dec 1995 - 10 Hits - Sun Wukong

=2nd - 1st Jan 1989 to 31st Dec 1989 - 10 Hits - Sun Wukong

5th - 1st Jan 2009 to 31st Dec 2009 - 8 Hits - Rotten Ali

6th - 1st Jan 2010 to 31st Dec 2010 - 6 Hits - Rotten Ali

7th (current game) - 1st Jan 2011 to 31st Dec 2011 - 2 Hits not out - Rotten Ali

(23 Unknown Scores by Sun Wukong 1978 to 2003)

ps = can I please have a mod or admin guy to change the name of this thread just back to "Sun Wukong's Deadpool Game"

Done

Patty Andrews(2013), Martin Bashir, Melissa Bell, Bruce Bennett(2007), King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand (2016), Jim Bowen, Pres George HW Bush, Max Bygraves, Lord Carrington, Frank Carson, Hugo Chavez(2013), John Demjanjuk, Bob Dole, Harlan Ellison, Annette Funicello (2013), Robin Gibb, Hugh Hefner, Geoffrey Hughes, Don Imus, Clive James, Etta James, President Yahya Jammeh (The Gambia), General Jaruzelski(2014), Billie Jean King, Ralph Lauren, Nelle Harper Lee(2016), Dame Vera Lynn, Sir Geroge Martin(2016), Bill Maynard, Russell Means, Walter Mondale, Denis Norden, Maureen O'Hara(2015), James Prior (2016), Fazl Haq Qureshi, Nile Rodgers, Peter Sallis, King Muhammad Zahir Shar of Afghanistan(2007), Boris Spassky, Eric Sykes, Frank Thornton(2013), Manuel Uribe(2014), Abe Vigoda(2016), Gen. Võ Giáp Nguyên(2013), Judge Wapner, Heman Wouk, Chen Xitong(2013), Adam (MCA) Yauch, Chuck Yeager and Efrem Zimbalist jnr.(2014)

Also I've drawn this list to have at least one team member with each respective 26 letters of the english alphabet.

Edit, 9 out of 50.

King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia(2015), M H Abrams (2015), Pope Benedict XVI, Tony Bennett, Sir Jack Brabham(2014), Willford Brimley, (Frank Cady(2012), Jasper Carrott, Jack Charlton, Van Cliburn, John Cole (jurno), Jean Claude Duvalier (2014), Doug Ellis, Queen Fabiola of Belgium(2014), Larry Flynt, Joan Fontaine, Joao Havelange, Hazel Hawke, Jenny Inman, Richard Isley, Ronald Isley, Quincy Jones, Kenneth Kaunda, Ray Kennedy, Stan Lee, Jonah Lomu(2015), Al Molinaro(2015) Willie Nelson, Bernie Nolan, Ken Norton, Arnold Palmer (2016), Jack Pardee, Bill Pertwee, Lester Piggott, Reg Presley, Dave Prowse, Sheikh Naim Qassem, Mark (Chopper) Read, Burt Reynolds, Alfredo di Stefano(2014), Nobby Stiles, Mary Tyler Moore, Gudrun Ure, Dick Van Dyke, Betty White, Michael Winner, Gough Whitlam(2014), Bao Xishun, Jimmy Young and Ethan Zohn

Edit 30th dec 2013 - Got just 11 out of 50.

So he did, thanks...