Vinegar Tits

Heath Ledger

A shame. Such a talented actor. I really loved him in Brothers Grimm, and he was very good in Brokeback Mountain.

I'd never hear of him.

I daresay that he is more popular with the Australian bunch and people who watch the soaps on channel 5.

I created a facebook group dedicated to him last night. After an hour it had about 35 members, not checked it yet as i am at work and facebook is blocked there.

Guest Guest_dave_*
I'd never hear of him.

I daresay that he is more popular with the Australian bunch and people who watch the soaps on channel 5.

he was globally famous-you must have been on the moon fr the past few years if you never heard of him!

I'd never hear of him.

he was globally famous-you must have been on the moon fr the past few years if you never heard of him!

Windsor pops out for coffee, and misses the Martian Broadcasting Company's showing of Brokeback Mountain

marsnz6.jpg

Never heard of him.

He didn't have any major film roles though did he? He big one would have been this batman film but that's not out yet. I don't watch Home and Away either. I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain either.

Never heard of him.

He didn't have any major film roles though did he? He big one would have been this batman film but that's not out yet. I don't watch Home and Away either. I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain either.

Well Windsor, there's loads of people whose deaths get posted on the DL that I'd never heard of, so you've got company. I believe the biggest grossing film he was in was A Knight's Tale. Monster's Ball was pretty widely seen, although he didn't have a major role in it. But the fact he was nominated for an academy award for best actor last year means he should be fairly well-known around the world. Made the cover of the Metro and Torygraph this morning, plenty of others as well I'd imagine.

The good news is that Batman can rest easy now that The Joker's finally dead.

• Like 1

Just such a shame that he died so young. If it is drug related than its especially sad after Brad Renfro.

marsnz6.jpg

DDT will be pleased to know they found Fossett on GoogleMars. Doesn't look like Nigel Havers is with him though.

Pah! The only "proper" Joker in my eyes died on New Year's Day 1994

As to Ledger - the only film I ever saw him in was A Knight's Tale. It was sh*t. I hadn't heard of him before that film & until today, I hadn't heard of him again. I had no idea he was in Batman or Home & Away or Brokeback Mountain or anything else along those lines.

I think this is one of those generation defining deaths.

To teenage girls, this may be the biggest death since River Phoenix.

To most of those under 30 (except, of course, Windsor), his name will have some recognition at the very least.

To those over, say, 55, I wouldn't be surprised if they went "Heath who? Heathcliff, did you say?"

He was also in Mel Gibson's The Patriot, Ned Kelly, Casanova, Candy & I'm Not There.

Never seen anything he's been in. Brokeback Mountain was overly hyped so I didn't bother with it.

Am wanting to see "I'm Not There" which will probably be the only movie I'll see that he crops up in.

Never seen anything he's been in. Brokeback Mountain was overly hyped so I didn't bother with it.

Am wanting to see "I'm Not There" which will probably be the only movie I'll see that he crops up in.

I don't think I've seen a film with him in, but I had heard of him and it was a shock...

As to Ledger - the only film I ever saw him in was A Knight's Tale. It was sh*t. I hadn't heard of him before that film & until today, I hadn't heard of him again. I had no idea he was in Batman or Home & Away or Brokeback Mountain or anything else along those lines.

To most of those under 30 (except, of course, Windsor), his name will have some recognition at the very least.

To those over, say, 55, I wouldn't be surprised if they went "Heath who? Heathcliff, did you say?"

Agreed. After the initial shock my next reaction was "Which one is he again?". I tried to watch "A Knight's tale" but is was awful

He must be bigger than I thought.

There was a group of girls mourning him in the exam hall this afternoon.

One said that she wanted to go to his funeral until her friend pointed out that it would probably be held in Australia. :P

Article from the Daily Mail

A couple of comments (well, quite a few)

I read the report to see what Jack Nicholson said, and there was no other substance to it all - the quote at the top- is it!

How, precisely, is either picture on the set of his last film, "cutting a tragic figure?"

The below was the only informative - if somewhat speculative - part of the article:-

"He had a stint in rehab last year when he was treated for heroin," a source told The Daily Mail, adding that Ledger was increasingly introverted at the time of his death. There are claims the strain of playing the Joker in the new Batman film may have proved too much for the star – in a recent interview, he told how the role of a “murderous psychopath” had left him “sleepless and exhausted”. He is also said to have recently suffered pneumonia. He was only sleeping around two hours a night, with reports speculating his reliance on sleeping pills led to his "accidental overdose". A housekeeper at Ledger's New York City apartment made the shocking discovery of his body face down on a bed at 3.20pm local time on Tuesday afternoon.

The rest of the article is based on the reasons why he committed suicide (sezs the Mail) & a nice, upbeat, cheery picture for all of the family to see of his body being taken away - a picture that troubles me immensly, for whilst I have seen bodies in bodybags before - I think it's the reaction by the paparazzi that does it for me.

Here is a young man, who for whatever reasons, has died a very young & very public death, but is there REALLY any need for every member of the paparazzi to be straining every sinew to take a photograph of a recently deceased dad of one? Hmm... :P

This, along with the news that "Three Little Pigs" is too offensive nowadays to Halibuts, makes me despair of modern life, it really does.

Sorry, I didn't really mean to add much more on the chap - it was just a general observation..

This, along with the news that "Three Little Pigs" is too offensive nowadays to Halibuts, makes me despair of modern life, it really does.

Cheer up Triple O, Michelle Williams looks great in the photo from the article, boosted dare I say by an early pregnant glow.

heathandmichub5.jpg

• Like 1

Laurence Olivier to Dustin Hoffman on the set of Marathon Man, after Hoffman had told Olivier he had deliberately not slept for 3 nights to prepare for the torture scene

"Have you ever tried Acting, Dear Boy?"

There are claims the strain of playing the Joker in the new Batman film may have proved too much for the star – in a recent interview, he told how the role of a "murderous psychopath" had left him "sleepless and exhausted".

Spooky. I had the exact same thought trolling through the thread earlier.

Laurence Olivier to Dustin Hoffman on the set of Marathon Man, after Hoffman had told Olivier he had deliberately not slept for 3 nights to prepare for the torture scene

"Have you ever tried Acting, Dear Boy?"

There are claims the strain of playing the Joker in the new Batman film may have proved too much for the star – in a recent interview, he told how the role of a "murderous psychopath" had left him "sleepless and exhausted".

If I may offer a sample of the brief exchange of text messages Dave the Failed Policeman and I had post mortem yesterday;

Heath Ledger? Death Ledger.

Six-feet-beneath Ledger.

Needs-a-wreath Ledger.

Causing-his-poor-mother-undue-stress-and-grief Ledger.

Permanently-out-of-breath Ledger.

It help to pass a small part of the afternoon.

A couple of comments (well, quite a few)

I read the report to see what Jack Nicholson said, and there was no other substance to it all - the quote at the top- is it!

How, precisely, is either picture on the set of his last film, "cutting a tragic figure?"

The below was the only informative - if somewhat speculative - part of the article:-

"He had a stint in rehab last year when he was treated for heroin," a source told The Daily Mail, adding that Ledger was increasingly introverted at the time of his death. There are claims the strain of playing the Joker in the new Batman film may have proved too much for the star – in a recent interview, he told how the role of a “murderous psychopath” had left him “sleepless and exhausted”. He is also said to have recently suffered pneumonia. He was only sleeping around two hours a night, with reports speculating his reliance on sleeping pills led to his "accidental overdose". A housekeeper at Ledger's New York City apartment made the shocking discovery of his body face down on a bed at 3.20pm local time on Tuesday afternoon.

The rest of the article is based on the reasons why he committed suicide (sezs the Mail) & a nice, upbeat, cheery picture for all of the family to see of his body being taken away - a picture that troubles me immensly, for whilst I have seen bodies in bodybags before - I think it's the reaction by the paparazzi that does it for me.

Here is a young man, who for whatever reasons, has died a very young & very public death, but is there REALLY any need for every member of the paparazzi to be straining every sinew to take a photograph of a recently deceased dad of one? Hmm... :P

Sorry, I didn't really mean to add much more on the chap - it was just a general observation..

Its the way the modern media operates. Most 'news' consists of speculation, denial and bogus statistics than can mean anything. Maybe we as contributers to a website devoted to celebrity death shouldn't preach about the morbid facsination this causes, but the media do seem to pounce on these stories and others of this type with particular glee. It is ironic that for someone who shied away from the grubbier aspects of the fame machine, should have such unwarranted attention on his death, but that's what we have in the modern 24 hr news, celebrity gossip era and there's nothing, short of a worldwide revolution or apocalypse, that we can do to stop it...

Guest So---

Is anyone except me, seeing him as a modern day Errol Flynn?

Astralian, Died Suddenly, Could have been a descent actor.

This could apply too the both off them.

and if you compare the roles:

Ledger: A Knights Tale, Casanova, Brothers Grimm

Flynn: Adventures Of Robin Hood, Don Juan, Santa Fe Trail

All over the top Heroic roles.

What do you think?

At around 11.30pm GMT last night my Heath Ledger memorial facebook group had over 700 members.

Agreed. After the initial shock my next reaction was "Which one is he again?". I tried to watch "A Knight's tale" but is was awful

Funny thing - his full first name was Heathcliff.