The Miser

Paul Newman

Depending on whom you believe, beloved actor Paul Newman is in a fight for his life with an undisclosed cancer. The National Enquirer, The Daily News, The Huffington Post and Showbiz Spy are all reporting that the 83-year-old legend recently underwent secret surgery for an unnamed cancer, and that the operation was successful.

Guest Guest_dave_*
Depending on whom you believe, beloved actor Paul Newman is in a fight for his life with an undisclosed cancer. The National Enquirer, The Daily News, The Huffington Post and Showbiz Spy are all reporting that the 83-year-old legend recently underwent secret surgery for an unnamed cancer, and that the operation was successful.

The story is a fake. Newman claims to be suffering from nothing more than 'athletes foot and hair loss'

The story is a fake. Newman claims to be suffering from nothing more than 'athletes foot and hair loss'

I wouldn't be so sure that the story's a fake. Such denials are par for the course in the PR biz and the tabloids are sticking to the story. If there's one thing the tabloids have a talent for, it's the "sad last days" stories. I'm betting there's something to it.

I wouldn't be so sure that the story's a fake. Such denials are par for the course in the PR biz and the tabloids are sticking to the story. If there's one thing the tabloids have a talent for, it's the "sad last days" stories. I'm betting there's something to it.

Well, he was extremely sprightly on TV when he was interviewed on Thursday & looking forward to the proposed merger of CART & IRL this year, and announced plans for the 2009 & 2010 season. If he's in his last days, then he's doing extremely well, that's all I can say.

I'd think we know if Newman was really ill, as he has too many fingers into too many pies, that if he WAS gravely ill, someone, somewhere would notice.

Well, he was extremely sprightly on TV when he was interviewed on Thursday & looking forward to the proposed merger of CART & IRL this year, and announced plans for the 2009 & 2010 season. If he's in his last days, then he's doing extremely well, that's all I can say.

I'd think we know if Newman was really ill, as he has too many fingers into too many pies, that if he WAS gravely ill, someone, somewhere would notice.

He's meant to be working on a new movie at the moment. I forget where I read about it. Can't even remember if he's just directing it or if he makes an appearance in it too. I'll try and find the news article.

edited to say:

my mistake, He's directing a stage production of "Of Mice and Men"

Guest ATS

He failed to turn up last week for his hole in the wall charity event. Newman set this up to raise

money for children with cancer and blood disease. This was put down to a bad back on his part

Not sure there's enough evidence for his own thread but I have a hunch that Omar Sharif may go before one of Newman and his cronies.

I have a very bad hunch about Paul Newman. I actually think that he will die within the next 2 months or so.

Hollywood has been hit pretty hard this year. Hollywood has already lost Heath Ledger, Roy Scheider, Anthony Minghella, Charlton Heston, and Sydney Pollack. If Paul Newman dies, it will truly be a dark year for Hollywood (it already is).

I know that I am way off topic here (what I have to say has nothing to do with death) but I was talking to friend of mine this afternoon (a one-time B-List celeb who I will inform the forum of if he goes into extreme bad health at any stage) about films, and Paul Newman occured to me as the only big Hollywood star who has never been in a bad film.

As to his current health I can only say that I agree with the previous posters who think he looks spry and healthy.

I'd happily argue that The Towering Inferno is no Citizen Kane.

Paul Newman occured to me as the only big Hollywood star who has never been in a bad film.

Newman's first film - The Silver Chalice - is a stinker.

Paul Newman occured to me as the only big Hollywood star who has never been in a bad film.

It was nominated for the Best Picture Oscar, plus doesn't Fred Astaire leap to his death in the arms of his implausibly young and gorgeous girlfriend? Cinematic gold.

It was nominated for the Best Picture Oscar, plus doesn't Fred Astaire leap to his death in the arms of his implausibly young and gorgeous girlfriend? Cinematic gold.

I think Fred was being a sex pest and the young lady in question 'accidentally' threw herself off the glass elevator to get away from him. Fred was later arrested on sexual misconduct charges by chief of police Richard Chamberlain but was killed when Red Buttons rammed a broomstick up his posterior before the trial. You're right, I've never seen it.

The mighty Killdozer paid 'tribute' to the 'genius' of Irwin Allen in their touching song Man vs Nature.

Sample verse:

On the television, a ship was sinking it seemed so real, but it was just a movie made by Irwin Allen (my, what a relief) and on this ship was Ernest Borgnine, brave in the face of certain death, he played a cop on a pleasure cruise, along with his wife, an ex-prostitute, Shelley Winters, she was on the ship, she was good too - but she died, as did Gene Hackman, a preacher, who gave his life so that others could live, he died shouting "how many more lives?!"

You're right, I've never seen it.

Neither have I and, while I'm not particularly keen to see this one, it's got me thinking that there are a whole load of films made in the 60s and 70s that are just never shown anymore.

At the risk of straying wildly off topic I wonder why the TV companies run endless repeats of stuff like "Clear and Present Danger" but never show films like Midnight Cowboy, Easy Rider, Straw Dogs, In the Heat of the Night, Blow-Up or the Hustler (back on topic)?

Nope, we'll stay off-topic for a while longer if you don't mind....

Why, when you're never further than 3 weeks away from a showing of Saving Private Ryan on Channel 5, do they never show such gems as Leonard Rossiter in Le Petomane? I recall this being on a couple of times as a kid, but for years, nothing. While I'm glad some charitable soul saw fit to put it on youtube, I want proper definition goddammit!

He's meant to be working on a new movie at the moment. I forget where I read about it. Can't even remember if he's just directing it or if he makes an appearance in it too. I'll try and find the news article.

edited to say:

my mistake, He's directing a stage production of "Of Mice and Men"

What did I tell you?

Paul Newman's agent says he does not have cancer (Paul Newman that is, not the agent :( )

Reports that the iconic film legend is not battling terminal lung cancer are "not true," the actor's rep Toni Howard says, shooting down a month's worth of rumors.

I think we need a bit more than a "not true" from his agent to discount the rumours altogether. Maybe he's suffering from terminal liver, stomach, pancreatic or brain cancer instead?

Edited post. Paul Newman is not dead. I fell for a fake story about him being killed in an aeroplane accident. Nothing to see here..

Edited post. Paul Newman is not dead. I fell for a fake story about him being killed in an aeroplane accident. Nothing to see here..

lol

You actually fell for a fake story about him being killed in a plane crash.

No offense, but I thought it was so obvious it was a hoax.

Okay, I admit I fell for these before....

I read an article that claims that Alberto Gonzales was going to be indicted for lying to Congress about the firing of the US Attorneys. Then the article admitted it was a hoax.

Anyway, back to Paul Newman. Newman's rep claims that Newman does NOT have "terminal lung cancer." But that's all he denied.

Paul Newman might still be ill with something else.

I've seen recent photos of him and he looks terrible. He was one of the most handsome men back in the 60s -- he definitely looks like he's out of it. Paul Newman is a great actor and I hate to see him die, but I just have a bad feeling about this.

He's definitely on my death list for 2009 if he survives this year.