harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Nobel Prize In Death

I have a feeling there used to be a thread for this, but it seems to have been decommissioned. So, here are the currently-still-breathing-and-over-85 (subject to wiki accuracy, of course) Nobel Prize laureates, all handily wiki-linked. Not household names, I grant you, but probably obit-worthy for the more discerning ‘pooler all the same.
Many have been discussed in other threads, but I thought it’d be nice to drag them in under one umbrella. I’ve probably missed one or two; I’m not the most diligent of researchers

Physics: when will they quark it?
Willis Lamb (Canadian Paul‘s very own CL-S), 94.
Chen Ning Yang, 85.
Charles Townes, 92.
Aage Bohr (son of Nils), 85.
Nicolaas Bloembergen, 87.
Leon Lederman, 85.
Jack Steinberger, 86.
Norman Ramsey, 91.
Hans Dehmelt, 85.

Chemistry: soon to be inert?
Frederick Sanger, 89.
John Cornforth, 90.
William Lipscomb, 87.
Herbert Hauptman, 90.
Jerome Karle, 89.
Paul Boyer, 89.
Jens Skou, 89.
William Knowles, 90.
John Fenn, 90.

Literature: the final chapter?
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, 89. (7-time DL laureate i.e. someone you‘ve heard of)
Jose Saramago, 85.
Doris Lessing, 88.

Only three, but they often receive it later in life, for a body of work.

Peace: RIP? (hell, this stuff writes itself)
Norman Borlaug, 93.
Nelson Mandela, 89.

Not many, as it’s often given to organisations or not given at all. That paragon of peace Kissinger doesn’t turn 85 till May.

Medicine: Nurse, the screens!! sicktherm.gif
Thomas Weller, 92.
Andrew Huxley (Aldous‘s half-brother), 90.
Francois Jacob, 87.
Har Khorana, 86.
Christian de Duve, 90.
George Palade, 95.
Rita Levi-Montalcini, 98 (oldest living laureate old.gif )
Renato Dulbecco, 93.
Rosalyn Yalow, 86.
Jean Dausset, 91.
Robert Furchgott, 91.
Edwin Krebs, 89.
Joseph Murray, 87.
Baruj Benacerraf, 87.
Don Thomas, 87.
Edmond Fischer, 87.

Quite apt that the docs have the most living OAPS. Also, lots more of them, as they seem to work in teams more than other scientists.

Economics: cashing their final cheque?
Ronald Coase, 97.
Maurice Allais, 96.
Paul Samuelson, 92.
Ken Arrow, 86.
Larry Klein, 87.
James Buchanan, 88.
Douglass North, 87.
Leo Hurwicz, 90.
Tom Schelling, 86.

(Acknowledgements: the lost Magere Hein for this and the equally disappeared Life Begins at 5 for this.)

• Like 1

Cracking list Harry and good thread topic, all colour-coded and fancy like. My pick to give my DPP list a touch of class this year was Maurice Allais. To be honest I know f**k all about him apart from the fact that he's French, old and brainy. I did read up on him in December but that was oh so long ago.

Another of my favourites is Ronald Coase who I do know a bit about and whose theories have become quite popular of late. They're old growing these Nobel types, the Deathlist equivalent to olive trees. I suppose it's because they are always exercising their brains.

Every good DDP team should have one alongside their Norman Wisdoms and Charlton Hestons, like meat and two veg.

He was supposedly very frail a couple years back, now nothing has been heard of him since. I know the minute that I take him off my DDP, he'll be a goner. Also had Charles H. Townes on the list the very first year, but took him off as he was apparently still getting around and, supposedly, still is. Not that it takes much to endorse a letter mind you, and James Van Allen carked it soon after providing an introduction for a book, but food for thought in any case.

Nice list by the way and very useful. I can't imagine a single prize winner escaping without at least one appropriate UK obit (granted, Joshua Lederberg hasn't gotten one just yet, but I suspect that given those that have arisen thus far, it will happen).

Indeed, a very well researched and presented list Harold. I have heard of exactly four of them. Can everyone anyone beat that?

This list is a worthy addition to our own research, clicking the links and reading for an hour would probably be much more enlightning than watching the lighweight tosh currently trading as Horizon on BBC 2.

The deadpooler(s) of Maryport salute this fine thread.

Indeed, a very well researched and presented list Harold. I have heard of exactly four of them. Can everyone anyone beat that?

Just wait for the 'Dr Herbert A. Hauptman Snorted Blow Off My Tits' exposé in next week's Heat, Ronald.

Now I know what Harold has been doing since November. But 'I clap clap' because I could have never composed such a prize 'who are you? thread. I've heard of about '7' of these 'Nobel prize winners' but all around 'dominating the entire category' with never ending names you get a high rating for this by me. You did your homework.

You say I’m not the most diligent of researchers and I say 'April fools isn't for another 56 f****n days'

Excellent list Harold. I have a few additions and corrections.

Missing from your list are:

, 91.

, 85.

, 85.

Correcting the ages for:

, 92 (not 91).

, 88 (not 87).

, 88 (not 87).

You mention that Henry Kissinger will turn 85 in May. Shimon Peres, a Peace Prize recipient, will also turn 85 this year (in August). There are another seven 84-year-old Nobel Laureates who will be 85 in time for next year's DeathList and assorted dead pools. Might as well list them while I'm at it:

, 84.

, 84.

, 84.

, 84.

, 84.

, 84.

, 84.

Apologies if I haven't gotten the colors quite right. :party:

Sorry if I'm being really stupid here, but what about Harold Pinter, doyenne of numerous DDP teams, one time DL candidate if I'm not mistaken, and proud owner of his own thread! He may not be 85 yet but he's certainly not in the best shape.

Guest Guest
I can't imagine a single prize winner escaping without at least one appropriate UK obit (granted, Joshua Lederberg hasn't gotten one just yet, but I suspect that given those that have arisen thus far, it will happen).

It has happened.

Guest Guest
what about Harold Pinter, doyenne of numerous DDP teams.

Didn't realise old Harry (Harriet?) had undergone the op...

He was supposedly very frail a couple years back, now nothing has been heard of him since. I know the minute that I take him off my DDP, he'll be a goner. Also had Charles H. Townes on the list the very first year, but took him off as he was apparently still getting around and, supposedly, still is. Not that it takes much to endorse a letter mind you, and James Van Allen carked it soon after providing an introduction for a book, but food for thought in any case.

Nice list by the way and very useful. I can't imagine a single prize winner escaping without at least one appropriate UK obit (granted, Joshua Lederberg hasn't gotten one just yet, but I suspect that given those that have arisen thus far, it will happen).

As mentioned in The Dead by a guest, Willis has gone out like a lamb, CP.

Hooray, got one at last.

Edit: Telegraph obit.

Doris is lessing than enamoured with her Nobel Prize, as she's forced to spend all her days talking to Jenni Falconer and Dale Winton instead of getting on with the serious business of snuffing it writing books.

Feisty Doris apparently gives Alan Yentob an ear bashing on Imagine... on BBC1 tonight.

Or rather Doris Lessing gives some Work Experience kid an ear bashing while Yentob gets pissed down the pub on expenses, only to edit himself in later.

Feisty Doris apparently gives Alan Yentob an ear bashing on Imagine... on BBC1 tonight.

I wish they'd use the real Noddy for 'noddy shots'. (There is a real Noddy, right?)

Not many, as it’s often given to organisations or not given at all. That paragon of peace Kissinger doesn’t turn 85 till May.

Kissinger has now turned 85, his birthday was yesterday.

Sorry for double post, but oldest winner of a Nobel Prize, Leonid Hurwicz, has died aged 90, the age he received his Nobel Prize at: http://wcco.com/local/nobel.prize.stockholm.2.757017.html

That's a shame, he teaches at the university just a couple of miles from where I work

Sorry for double post, but oldest winner of a Nobel Prize, Leonid Hurwicz, has died aged 90, the age he received his Nobel Prize at: http://wcco.com/local/nobel.prize.stockholm.2.757017.html

That's a shame, he teaches at the university just a couple of miles from where I work

Not anymore. :P

On a serious note, I thought that he had been in a rest home for a few years before his death.

Prof. Peter Bullock

"World renowned soil expert ... won the Nobel prize in 2007 as a member of the Intergovermental Panel on Climate Change"

According to his Wiki page, George Palade has died. There wasn't much he didn't know about cells. (Biological cells, not prison cells.)

Lengthy article on literature NP-winner Saramago. Seems to have recovered from his near-death respiratory problems but has a hectic schedule upcoming. Go on, add a touch of class to your deadpool picks.

I suppose I should update the original list with the newly-85s, but meh. I'm not CP.

• Like 1