harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Nobel Prize In Death

32 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

What is lailasnews?

That obituary looks less than serious.

Edit: Well, the media outfit is clickbait, but the tweets seem real.

I didn't find a better source or obit

He’s certainly dead, person who tweeted the news out is very credible: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chilean way said:

I didn't find a better source or obit

Another source from Society for Institutional & Organizational Economics

On 09/10/2019 at 11:10, Ulitzer95 said:

Correct. Arthur Ashkin was 96 when he was awarded it last year. He was supposedly too frail to go in person to collect his award.

... and less than a year later Nobel laureate Arthur Askin (wiki) has died aged 98.

That obituary went up 5 days ago. How on earth did nobody spot it? His Wiki page was only updated a few hours ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

... and less than a year later Nobel laureate Arthur Askin (wiki) has died aged 98.

That obituary went up 5 days ago. How on earth did nobody spot it? His Wiki page was only updated a few hours ago.

Potential for a 5th (!) DDP death on Sept 21st. If anybody but us notices...

Roger Penrose got it now for his work on black holes. Could it elevate him up to DeathList status? Maybe part of the calculations of the committee was that Stephen Hawking didn't get it.

On 26/09/2020 at 23:48, Ulitzer95 said:

Now let's see if Ashkin gets an indirect QO mention.

He's already been mentioned today on the BBC sites:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-54420240

But it does not say that he died.

6 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Roger Penrose got it now for his work on black holes. Could it elevate him up to DeathList status? Maybe part of the calculations of the committee was that Stephen Hawking didn't get it.

Penrose is an absolute legend and deserved it. I know him mainly through his works on tiling, which are fundamental to understand quasicrystals. 

• Like 1

I legit thought Roger Penrose won the Nobel Prize decades ago.

The Nobel prize for Peace has just been announced and you're not going to believe it, but President Donald J trump has NOT won it ! https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/09/nobel-peace-prize-goes-to-world-food-programme-for-fight-to-solve-global-hunger-13395392/ I know that will shock and stun many people.:o

11 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

The Nobel prize for Peace has just been announced and you're not going to believe it, but President Donald J trump has NOT won it ! https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/09/nobel-peace-prize-goes-to-world-food-programme-for-fight-to-solve-global-hunger-13395392/ I know that will shock and stun many people.:o

Oh what a surprise. Person who killed over 300k Americans with his incompetence doesn't get Prize for Peace. Surprised. :mellow:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Masatoshi Koshiba, a Japanese Nobel laureate for physics, has died. He was 94.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20201113_15/

Amazing character. For once, he was actually a bad student with low marks but fulfilled his goals anyway. He was known to be a die-hard fan of Final Fantasy, which is hard to believe about a man born in 1926.

• Like 4

On 05/02/2008 at 14:31, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I have a feeling there used to be a thread for this, but it seems to have been decommissioned. So, here are the currently-still-breathing-and-over-85 (subject to wiki accuracy, of course) Nobel Prize laureates, all handily wiki-linked. Not household names, I grant you, but probably obit-worthy for the more discerning ‘pooler all the same.
Many have been discussed in other threads, but I thought it’d be nice to drag them in under one umbrella. I’ve probably missed one or two; I’m not the most diligent of researchers

Physics: when will they quark it?
Willis Lamb (Canadian Paul‘s very own CL-S), 94.
Chen Ning Yang, 85.
Charles Townes, 92.
Aage Bohr (son of Nils), 85.
Nicolaas Bloembergen, 87.
Leon Lederman, 85.
Jack Steinberger, 86.
Norman Ramsey, 91.
Hans Dehmelt, 85.

Steinberger dead.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Steinberger dead.

Only 2 left alive now from the original list of 48 .Edmond Fischer and Chen Ning Yang .You can check if you want.

On 13/11/2020 at 04:26, alt obits guy said:

Masatoshi Koshiba, a Japanese Nobel laureate for physics, has died. He was 94.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20201113_15/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/masatoshi-koshiba-scientist-who-shared-2002-nobel-prize-in-physics-dies-at-94/2020/11/14/2f29f6ec-25cf-11eb-a688-5298ad5d580a_story.html

im posting this link because the one you posted ‘was moved or expired’ inside of four days leading me to think maybe it was a hoax.  It is not.  But here is a legit link.

SirCunto

8 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Only 2 left alive now from the original list of 48 .Edmond Fischer and Chen Ning Yang .You can check if you want.

Zhenning will be the last survivor without any doubt. He is still doing relatively well and is two years younger.

No, but media are always very slow with Nobel Prizes. He was living in Switzerland so local media were faster.

8 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

No English language obituary yet?

Nobel Prize winning scientist in 2020 so of course not. :banghead:

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

No English language obituary yet?

Well, he gets one from the New York Times now. Probably the only reliable English source for Nobel winners at this point tbh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Martinus Veltman, Dutch scientist who won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1999, reportedly has died. There are reputable reports from his family on Facebook and the scientific community, though no obituary as of yet. A DDP pick a few times. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Martinus Veltman, Dutch scientist who won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1999, reportedly has died. There are reputable reports from his family on Facebook and the scientific community, though no obituary as of yet. A DDP pick a few times. 

My dutch newspaper had a very in-depth obit: https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2021/01/06/een-voor-nederland-te-uitgesproken-gigant-a4026328. He always seemed like a nice guy to me, very smart and very stubborn. The obits mentions him wearing cowboy boots and driving a motor cycle. I read somewhere else he named his software (which would eventually  lead to his nobel prize) schoonschip to annoy non-dutchies cause it would be impossible to pronounce the ch, which makes a scraping g-sound in dutch.