harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Nobel Prize In Death

There is zero chance of him making 2018.In facrt there is a near zero chance of him making August now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

There is zero chance of him making 2018.In facrt there is a near zero chance of him making August now.

It's very unlikely he'll make out the week. One thing for sure is that liver cancer is a silent killer...

I predict he dies today/tonight around 10:30 PM UK Time (4:30 PM where I live)

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:48, Spade_Cooley said:

BEIJING (AP) — The hospital treating imprisoned Chinese Nobel Peace Prize laureate Liu Xiaobo said Monday his condition is now critical and doctors are in "active rescue" mode for China's best-known political prisoner.

The First Hospital of China Medical University said in a statement that Liu, who has liver cancer, is suffering from a severely swollen stomach, low blood pressure and poor kidney function.

An MRI scan also revealed growing cancer lesions. The lesions have caused localized bleeding in his liver, the statement said.

:vulture:

There's a less technical word they could have used instead of all that medical jargon-  dying !

First peace laureate to die in custody since Carl von Ossietzky in 1938.

• Like 1

So the Chinese doctors who said that he cannot leave the country anymore were right. Or would it really have changed anything if they had flown him out of the country a week ago?

4 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

So the Chinese doctors who said that he cannot leave the country anymore were right. Or would it really have changed anything if they had flown him out of the country a week ago?

Chinese doctor: He can't leave the country.

German doctor: No, he can.

Chinese doctor shoots Liu in the head: It's clear he can not.

• Like 1

He didn't last as long as Bowie when his illness was declared terminal. I do like him though, trying to peacefully advocate for democracy in China. RI:rip: 

• Like 2

On 5/2/2008 at 15:31, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Dead

• Like 1

It's that time of the year, and we can add Michael Rosbash, Michael W Young and Jeffrey C Hall to the list of folk guaranteed an obit in nearly every country in the world, after winning the Medicine Nobel Prize for mapping out the body clock.

None of them look like troubling the Reaper for a fair while, being aged 67-72 and not being rock stars or thespians, but into the pantheon they go.

Of course, I'm always most interested in the Lit Prize, which can't possibly go to someone worse than fucking Dylan. Alongside perennial favourites Murakami (he's alright, I guess) and Margaret Atwood (important and influential, but rather dry prose), the bookies favourite this year appears to be Ngugi Wa Thiong'o, whom I have never heard of, but as a Nigerian author and playwright apparently massively influential and read in his homeland, he is clearly a far better choice than Bob fucking Dylan.

Oh, and the Peace Prize is always good for top quality LOLs...

That'd annoy someone on here. I forget who.

1 hour ago, msc said:

It's that time of the year, and we can add Michael Rosbash, Michael W Young and Jeffrey C Hall to the list of folk guaranteed an obit in nearly every country in the world, after winning the Medicine Nobel Prize for mapping out the body clock.

None of them look like troubling the Reaper for a fair while, being aged 67-72 and not being rock stars or thespians, but into the pantheon they go.

Of course, I'm always most interested in the Lit Prize, which can't possibly go to someone worse than fucking Dylan. Alongside perennial favourites Murakami (he's alright, I guess) and Margaret Atwood (important and influential, but rather dry prose), the bookies favourite this year appears to be Ngugi Wa Thiong'o, whom I have never heard of, but as a Nigerian author and playwright apparently massively influential and read in his homeland, he is clearly a far better choice than Bob fucking Dylan.

Oh, and the Peace Prize is always good for top quality LOLs...

As a lit major still doing my masters last year, that was a travesty and I don;t think we spoke about anything else for a week. One of my profs thought it was deserved, but no one ever liked them so no one cared.

I hope Atwood wins it, tbh - her prose is great IMO, though some of her books are difficult to read more than once (still haven't been able to re-read Handmaid's Tale after I first read it, it's freaking horror from where I'm standing)

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

White Helmets for the Peace Prize would be my guess.

Watch them give it to some government that came to a ceasefire with some militant group again.

(Over/under on Trump tweeting about Obama's Nobel when he doesn't win?)

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I'd imagine Kim Jong-un would be a bit of an outside bet...

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, themaninblack said:

I'd imagine Kim Jong-un would be a bit of an outside bet...

Well, he's united the world's leaders against him, so he's got that going for him (to be fair, so does Trump to a lesser extent)

On 02/10/2017 at 19:37, Spade_Cooley said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/05/nobel-peace-prize-2017-who-are-the-likely-nominees

List of favourites for nominees/winners for the Peace Prize - I agree the White Helmets are probably the front runners (especially after the Netflix documentary was nominated for an Oscar, and all the drama with a couple of the participants being unable to come to the Oscars because of the travel ban), but I think both Francis and the ACLU are potentially entertaining candidates as well. Francis being the first Pope to win would be fun, especially after all the infighting that's supposedly (and likely) happening in the Church.

Other winners already announced: Kip Thorne, Rainer Weiss, and Barry Barish won for Physics, and Richard Henderson, Joachim Frank, and Jacques Dubochet took it home for Chemistry. Doesn't look like any are in danger of croaking this year or next, at the very least, though we all know that can change quickly.

Literature goes to 62 year old Kazuo Ishiguro so it will be a few years before we can use the headline The Day of Remains.

16 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Literature goes to 62 year old Kazuo Ishiguro so it will be a few years before we can use the headline The Day of Remains.

I should probably pick up something by him, sometime.

Better choice than Bob Dylan.

• Like 2

Just now, msc said:

Better choice than Bob Dylan.

Still annoyed Atwood didn't win last year. Or this year.

25 minutes ago, RishCast said:

Still annoyed Atwood didn't win last year. Or this year.

I think if they had given it to her this year they may have been accused of popularism because of the high profile adaptation. She will win it sooner or later probably sooner.

7 hours ago, RishCast said:

Other winners already announced: Kip Thorne, Rainer Weiss, and Barry Barish won for Physics, and Richard Henderson, Joachim Frank, and Jacques Dubochet took it home for Chemistry.

Near certain my theme team's joker Ronald Drever would've shared the Physics award, had he not ruined his chances with the whole dying thing.

14 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Near certain my theme team's joker Ronald Drever would've shared the Physics award, had he not ruined his chances with the whole dying thing.

I'd guess so.