harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Nobel Prize In Death

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I think if they had given it to her this year they may have been accused of popularism because of the high profile adaptation. She will win it sooner or later probably sooner.

At this point I'm just wondering if she'll get it before she dies.

Because if it's the high profile adaptation thing that prevented it from happening, she's out of luck next year as well - for some reason there's a second season of Handmaid's Tale coming out, and Alias Grace came out in Canada recently, and will be out world-over November.

8 minutes ago, RishCast said:

At this point I'm just wondering if she'll get it before she dies.

Because if it's the high profile adaptation thing that prevented it from happening, she's out of luck next year as well - for some reason there's a second season of Handmaid's Tale coming out, and Alias Grace came out in Canada recently, and will be out world-over November.

I don't see her dying in the next 10 years.

28 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I don't see her dying in the next 10 years.

Fair enough, but she's nearly 80 now - old enough that it wouldn't really be a complete shocker.

(Also, relatively pointless, but if she'd won, I'm pretty sure she'd be the first winner who has written graphic novels, right?)

Isabella L. Karle, who was once told that chemistry was not a “proper field for girls” but went on to help her husband, Nobel laureate Jerome Karle, devise a pathbreaking method for determining molecular structure, died Oct. 3 at a hospice center in Arlington, Va. She was 95.   The cause was a brain tumour.
Jerome Karle  shared the 1985 Nobel Prize in chemistry with the mathematician Herbert A. Hauptman, also a colleague at the NRL, honouring “their outstanding achievements in the development of direct methods for the determination of crystal structures.” Isabella L. Karle, a crystallographer, received the National Medal of Science in 1995, bestowed by President Bill Clinton, among other major honors in her field.

Well she HELPED win a Nobel Prize....close enough. 
SC

Nobel Laureate Gunther Blobel dead at 81. https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fderstandard.at%2F2000074562591%2FMedizin-Nobelpreistraeger-Guenter-Blobel-gestorben&edit-text

Sure it's lung cancer and not long cancer, Google translate!

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Günter_Blobel

Mentioned here as a possibility for 2007:

Maybe a long long lung cancer?

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 11:02, YoungWillz said:

Paul D Boyer, co-winner of the 1997 Chemistry Prize, dead at 99. http://newsroom.ucla.edu/stories/in-memoriam:-paul-boyer-99-nobel-laureate-in-chemistry

DDP Pick.

Well, hello, Telegraph Obit: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2018/06/14/paul-boyer-nobel-chemistry-laureate-obituary/

Now, I do know that Jens Skou is name checked in this obituary, but I don't know if it mentions that he has died also. Anyone?

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Well, hello, Telegraph Obit: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2018/06/14/paul-boyer-nobel-chemistry-laureate-obituary/

Now, I do know that Jens Skou is name checked in this obituary, but I don't know if it mentions that he has died also. Anyone?

Yes, it does mention the fact that Skou has died. 

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

Yes, it does mention the fact that Skou has died. 

Could you quote the paragraph please?

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Could you quote the paragraph please?

This what it says: 

The third winner of the Nobel, the Danish scientist Jens Skou, coincidentally died five days before Boyer, also aged 99. He was awarded a share of the prize for explaining how a different enzyme used the ATP Boyer’s enzyme produced. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Joey Russ said:

This what it says: 

The third winner of the Nobel, the Danish scientist Jens Skou, coincidentally died five days before Boyer, also aged 99. He was awarded a share of the prize for explaining how a different enzyme used the ATP Boyer’s enzyme produced. 

If that's acceptable to Spade, I'll add him into the current round-up! Cheers.

I remember an entire discussion on this exact matter with wholly different conclusions.  Toward the end of last year.  Huh.  As they say ‘it is what it is’.

SC

2000 winner for medicine Arvid Carlsson has died at 95.

6 hours ago, drol said:

2000 winner for medicine Arvid Carlsson has died at 95.

How come he wasn't on the original list?

• Like 1

Only Nin Yang, Lederman, Steinberger and Fischer left from the original list.

Order in which they will go:

1)Fischer

2)Lederman

3)Steinberger

4)Nin Yang

9 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Uuuhh... unexpected hit in the Alt Obits pool for me! 

• Like 2