Cowboy Ronnie

The Fifteen Minutes Club

Trawling the net earlier I came across an article which mentioned Sacheen Littlefeather, who went onstage to accept Marlon Brando's best actor Oscar for The Godfather.

an honour she couldn't refuse

It got me thinking about a few others who truly earned Andy Warhol's 15 minutes of fame, and not a moment more.

Rosie Ruiz

you must take the A train

Kato Kaelin

you imbecile, not now Kato

Michael Knighton

I bet he can't keep it up much longer

Lisa Nowak

All play and Nowak

Other suggestions for the list welcomed. It would be interesting to see which, if any, get UK obits when they die

• Like 1

Knighton would definitely get a UK write-up. Just ask our Cumbrian correspondent about his involvement in Man United, Carlisle FC and UFO's!

Kato Kaelin likewise, as I, as a reasonably well-informed Brit remembered who he was without following your link. Nowak - probably, although I did have to look at the link before thinking "Ah Yes. Her."

Ruiz...no.

• Like 1

Knighton...... f****** c***!!!! He'd still be killed on sight by several of the Blue Army's militant wing.

Noticeable that his official site, which combined Sesame Street levels of literacy with claims that he was about to become a noted author has now vanished.

On a serious note.....shouldn't we combine this thread with my own little 'fringes of fame' number?

• Like 1

Knighton would definitely get a UK write-up. Just ask our Cumbrian correspondent about his involvement in Man United, Carlisle FC and UFO's!

Kato Kaelin likewise, as I, as a reasonably well-informed Brit remembered who he was without following your link. Nowak - probably, although I did have to look at the link before thinking "Ah Yes. Her."

Ruiz...no.

I think Nowak will depend on the timing (she should get one if she drops in the next 5 years, but if she dies in 30 years then no chance)

• Like 1

On a serious note.....shouldn't we combine this thread with my own little 'fringes of fame' number?

No, the people listed here were, for a brief shining moment, really famous, either in their home country or worldwide, and "truly earned Andy Warhol's 15 minutes of fame". I doubt anyone had heard of or will remember any of the people in that other thread MPFC, who were a bit too far out on the fringes of fame.

• Like 1

I am pretty certain I have posted this before but this

promptly faded into obscurity after this show. Though he has survived the eunuch linch mob so he probably has many years to go before he pops his clogs. (Sorry I couldn't resist :rip: )
  • Like 1

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you the one and only Erica Roe!

Not so much Fifteen Minutes of fame, more like 40 Inches of fame. :rip:

Always good for a trip down Mammary Lane is our Erica.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you the one and only Erica Roe!

Not so much Fifteen Minutes of fame, more like 40 Inches of fame. :rip:

Always good for a trip down Mammary Lane is our Erica.

And then there was Michael Angelow, the chap who went starkers during a test match in 1975

Leg before wicket...

_38239085_angelow150.jpg

• Like 2

On 22/02/2008 at 06:10, Cowboy Ronnie said:

Trawling the net earlier I came across an article which mentioned Sacheen Littlefeather, who went onstage to accept Marlon Brando's best actor Oscar for The Godfather.

an honour she couldn't refuse

It got me thinking about a few others who truly earned Andy Warhol's 15 minutes of fame, and not a moment more.

Rosie Ruiz

you must take the A train

Being reported that Boston Marathon cheater Rosie Ruiz passed away with no fanfare on July 8th.  She was 66.

https://www.letsrun.com/news/2019/08/rosie-ruiz-the-most-famous-marathon-cheat-in-history-has-died-at-age-66/

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/west-palm-beach-fl/rosie-vivas-8774911?fbclid=IwAR2GYzB_3Ru9yBEzG5o6MR5DwRsT5_vwrBTWFNJc_UWlZ5drSkkqxOveJT0

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alt obits guy said:

Wow!  
How is this even possible? 
Not a bigger name WORLDWIDE for a week or so.  And die and no one in the media noticed?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Wow!  
How is this even possible? 
Not a bigger name WORLDWIDE for a week or so.  And die and no one in the media noticed?

Surprised me.  Just lived a very low key life afterward, but still.  Washington Post has now picked the story up. Dominoes should begin to fall as it breaks wider.

(Edit:  ESPN has picked it up. https://www.espn.com/olympics/trackandfield/story/_/id/27350707 

)

• Like 1

Sacheen Littlefeather receives a public apology from the Academy and will be a guest of honor at the event;

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/sacheen-littlefeather-oscars-apology-1235198863/

No real health news. Her husband died of cancer last year, just one of many people close to her who recently died.

• Like 3

Sal Durante, who caught Roger Maris' record-breaking 61st home run, has died. He was 80. The home run broke Babe Ruth's Major League single-season record. Durante was 19 when he nabbed the ball. His death was announced by Roger Maris Jr.

https://www.silive.com/sports/2022/12/sal-durante-the-si-resident-who-found-the-limelight-after-catching-roger-maris-61st-homer-has-died.html