Well, he's lasted much longer than I predicted. And I agree, BCAlum, that there is something admirable about someone who just wont quit in spite of insurmountable odds....even if it does infuriate some of the less patient DL'ers out there!

Mind you, if Swayze survives a few more problems and into say, May, he'll be getting into Eisenhower territory. Ike Eisenhower survived nine heart attacks, three strokes, pneumonia, fluid on the lungs and corrosive heart congestion and final died of a combination of the above just before his 80th!

My grandfather was similar - survived 6 heart attacks, and the seventh was only succesful because he was weakened from MRSA, pneumonia and a reaction to his angina and asthma medication not going well together!

It's not someone the forum would agree as being "evil" (unless you had to watch Ghost with your other half, I guess), so if he can get an extra few days out of his life then good for him. After all, I think we'd all be shocked if he's not on the success list by December 31st.

Well, he's lasted much longer than I predicted. And I agree, BCAlum, that there is something admirable about someone who just wont quit in spite of insurmountable odds....even if it does infuriate some of the less patient DL'ers out there!

Mind you, if Swayze survives a few more problems and into say, May, he'll be getting into Eisenhower territory. Ike Eisenhower survived nine heart attacks, three strokes, pneumonia, fluid on the lungs and corrosive heart congestion and final died of a combination of the above just before his 80th!

My grandfather was similar - survived 6 heart attacks, and the seventh was only succesful because he was weakened from MRSA, pneumonia and a reaction to his angina and asthma medication not going well together!

It's not someone the forum would agree as being "evil" (unless you had to watch Ghost with your other half, I guess), so if he can get an extra few days out of his life then good for him. After all, I think we'd all be shocked if he's not on the success list by December 31st.

Exactly what makes Patrick Swayze so brave? That he is holding on? Well, what else can he do? Lying down, feeling miserable and crying his eyes out until he dies?

No, really. Being terminally ill and facing it like a man might be considered an act of bravery, but how do we know Swayze actually does that? When his agent is dropping a statement, the odds of it being the truth are very slim, when Swayze himself is appearing in front of the camera all he has to do is to put on his happy yellow face for a split second and afterwards he can return to his own misanthropic self without us ever noticing.

I would even take this one step further: if you were dying and you would find it very difficult to accept your fate, would that make you weak or a coward? I'd say it would make you typically human.

Exactly what makes Patrick Swayze so brave? That he is holding on? Well, what else can he do? Lying down, feeling miserable and crying his eyes out until he dies?

No, really. Being terminally ill and facing it like a man might be considered an act of bravery, but how do we know Swayze actually does that? When his agent is dropping a statement, the odds of it being the truth are very slim, when Swayze himself is appearing in front of the camera all he has to do is to put on his happy yellow face for a split second and afterwards he can return to his own misanthropic self without us ever noticing.

I would even take this one step further: if you were dying and you would find it very difficult to accept your fate, would that make you weak or a coward? I'd say it would make you typically human.

It's not just that he is holding on, but how he is doing so. It really doesn't matter if Swayze is woeful anytime the cameras aren't on him: when he's out there, he's full of confidence, that he's a survivor, and there will be a cure one day, etc, and that passes on to others in the same condition.

If he was misanthropic about his disease, I'm willing to suggest he'd have died a long time ago. That he continues to speak about it, fight and continue to be is brave, because I've seen far too many people go "Oh I've got cancer and give up." My best friend's dad did that and died within weeks. Swayze's diagnosis at the outset would have been much more bleak than his dad, my grandfather, or any of the others we know. And yet he's outlived them all. And, despite knowing he's dying, and that there's very little he can do to prevent that, he's still speaking out and reaching out to fellow sufferers and their families.

That, I would say, goes far beyond what the average human is capable of when faced with such insurmountable odds.

If he was misanthropic about his disease, I'm willing to suggest he'd have died a long time ago.

Why would having cancer make someone hate humankind?

If he was misanthropic about his disease, I'm willing to suggest he'd have died a long time ago.

I don't know to be honest - I'm only responding to the post above me! I think he meant anger at the world or something like that?

Hello, my friend; You’re on my mind,

Because you're somehow ailing,

But your response to any challenge

Has always been unfailing.

So I’m confident you’ll win again;

Hang in there, and you’ll see;

You’ll be back on top in no time,

Tackling life courageously.

Kind thoughts and words on the internet,

from adoring fans numbering millions,

would mean so much more for Patrick,

than they would for Robbie Williams.

I don't know to be honest - I'm only responding to the post above me! I think he meant anger at the world or something like that?

In fact, I did.

It's not just that he is holding on, but how he is doing so. It really doesn't matter if Swayze is woeful anytime the cameras aren't on him: when he's out there, he's full of confidence, that he's a survivor, and there will be a cure one day, etc, and that passes on to others in the same condition.

If he was misanthropic about his disease, I'm willing to suggest he'd have died a long time ago. That he continues to speak about it, fight and continue to be is brave, because I've seen far too many people go "Oh I've got cancer and give up." My best friend's dad did that and died within weeks. Swayze's diagnosis at the outset would have been much more bleak than his dad, my grandfather, or any of the others we know. And yet he's outlived them all. And, despite knowing he's dying, and that there's very little he can do to prevent that, he's still speaking out and reaching out to fellow sufferers and their families.

That, I would say, goes far beyond what the average human is capable of when faced with such insurmountable odds.

Ah, I'm sure you're right about Swayze's performance, I never realised he was so outspoken and optimistic. If he managed to convince you, I'm sure he's not acting it. But my point was: does it make your best friend's dad less brave now that he wasn't able to cope with his fate as well as Swayze? Anyone would consider it unfair to get an incurable form of cancer - especially when you're as young as that. I think it's not up to me to decide whether the way one is handling his disease is brave or not. If you struggle to come to terms with it, it could make you bitter and misanthropic (as in: it's so unfair, why me and not one of those losers around me?!). I think that reaction would be quite human.

As a matter of fact: accepting your fate and making the best of your remaining time is all you can hope for. That's not bravery, it's sheer luck to have such character and composure.

And to anyone who has lost a dear one after a long and brave struggle with cancer, I'm not taking the piss with your beloved mum, dad, friend etc., I just feel very uneasy with the way any sick, dying or dead celeb is glorified. If the man was a jerk, a mediocre actor or an imbecile by life, the sheer fact that he is ill or dead does not make him a hero, a nice chap or a fine actor. (Hmm, where can I find the Heath Ledger-thread?)

Yes, Yvonne, please try and write something original.

Yes, Yvonne, please try and write something original.

Never mind, Yvonne, I'm sure Paddy will soon be scampering merrily over that Rainbow Bridge. Or does he have to be a chihuahua or a goldfish for that?

Please mister pneumonia go away.

you don't have time to feel bad today.

you have work to do and things to say

And simply don't have time to play.

Even though you're not feeling your best

With a little time, good care and rest-

It won't be long until the happy day

When you're feeling fine in every way.

Patrick - the majority of people want you to recover

please get well soon

I have an inkling that someone's taking the piss now.

please get well soon

<_<

Keep up the good work, Yvonne. Don't let the buggers get you down.

In a hospital bed lies Patrick Swayze,

Wearing fine silk pyjamas made in Paisley.

A bout of pneumonia? Or so says he,

Man-flu more likely. God! He's lazy.

So fear ye not Yvonne, I'm never hazy,

He won't be pusing up a daisy,

Neither here nor in the suburbs of Royston Vasey.

Don't worry, I'm in work and in no hurry to give it up <_<

please get well soon

I'm confused. Is the poem being addressed to mister pneumonia, as the first line suggests, or Patrick Swayze? You can't have it both ways, Yvonne.

The Mr. Men should introduce a "mister pneumonia", who'd always be coughing and spluttering all over people, and causing those who already had some other illness to drop dead. The kids would love him.

Guest ...

A man lays dying in a hospital bed

As he waits for a cure.

His wife enters the room and she closes the door.

She lives with his confidence,

And she worships his soul,

They want a miracle to unfold,

But time is taking it's toll.

Oh, they want to live again,

They want to walk the streets together,

Out in the streets of life once again.

But a man is laying in a hospital bed

As he waits for a cure.

His wife lets go of his hand as she walks out the door.

And as she walks down the hall,

Her spirit grows dim and her hands grow cold.

His eyes are full and brave,

And his mind is firm and bold.

But the statistics say,

That soon he'll be in a grave.

And his wife is walking the streets all alone.

For f**k's sake, is this really the place for all this morbidity?

please get well soon

I'm confused. Is the poem being addressed to mister pneumonia, as the first line suggests, or Patrick Swayze? You can't have it both ways, Yvonne.

The Mr. Men should introduce a "mister pneumonia", who'd always be coughing and spluttering all over people, and causing those who already had some other illness to drop dead. The kids would love him.

Particularly those children who ride Variety Club Sunshine Coaches? :banghead:

A man lays dying in a hospital bed

As he waits for a cure.

His wife enters the room and she closes the door.

She lives with his confidence,

And she worships his soul,

They want a miracle to unfold,

But time is taking it's toll.

Oh, they want to live again,

They want to walk the streets together,

Out in the streets of life once again.

But a man is laying in a hospital bed

As he waits for a cure.

His wife lets go of his hand as she walks out the door.

And as she walks down the hall,

Her spirit grows dim and her hands grow cold.

His eyes are full and brave,

And his mind is firm and bold.

But the statistics say,

That soon he'll be in a grave.

And his wife is walking the streets all alone.

This has to be a BS original. It's BS.

There once was a actor named Patrick,

who starred in many a big flick,

but then he got ill,

and along with WWI vet Bill,

could for some be a DDP hits hat-trick

Okay, that was crap. I blame stress. :banghead:

I used to work with a Welsh cook who absolutely adored Patrick Swayze.

Her name was Di.

Di the Welsh cook went absolutely crazy,

When anyone mention Patrick Swayze.

She dreamt so much of marrying the hunk,

Sadly now these dreams are sunk.

Cancer-ridden his end comes nearer,

Making the value of his autograph all the dearer,

Small consolation to Di the Welsh fan,

Who'd give her pension to save that man.

But she knows deep down there's no hope,

For Di the Welsh Cook she is no dope.

She knows that Swayze will surely die,

And his millions of fans will be left to cry.

If Di should discover the DDP,

She will be much enraged to see her VIP.

Such a popular pick on that website,

She will curse and swear and declare it shite.

Then with rolling pin firmly in hand,

And after getting sufficiently canned,

To Windsor's house she will storm,

To batter and briuse that sick worm.

Then she will pursue the one they call O-O-O,

His fate will equal that of the dead Do-do.

His computer destroyed and website offline,

Di the Welsh cook can finally recline.

She has avenged the death of her Patrick,

Although she makes her plans to kill her hatrick.

So if you chose the great Mr. Swayze,

Watch yourself and please be wary.

:banghead:

Well - thats a good chunk of my life I'm never going to get back.

Why are we writing poems anyway?

I used to work with a Welsh cook who absolutely adored Patrick Swayze.

Her name was Di.

Di the Welsh cook went absolutely crazy,

When anyone mention Patrick Swayze.

She dreamt so much of marrying the hunk,

Sadly now these dreams are sunk.

Cancer-ridden his end comes nearer,

Making the value of his autograph all the dearer,

Small consolation to Di the Welsh fan,

Who'd give her pension to save that man.

But she knows deep down there's no hope,

For Di the Welsh Cook she is no dope.

She knows that Swayze will surely die,

And his millions of fans will be left to cry.

If Di should discover the DDP,

She will be much enraged to see her VIP.

Such a popular pick on that website,

She will curse and swear and declare it shite.

Then with rolling pin firmly in hand,

And after getting sufficiently canned,

To Windsor's house she will storm,

To batter and briuse that sick worm.

Then she will pursue the one they call O-O-O,

His fate will equal that of the dead Do-do.

His computer destroyed and website offline,

Di the Welsh cook can finally recline.

She has avenged the death of her Patrick,

Although she makes her plans to kill her hatrick.

So if you chose the great Mr. Swayze,

Watch yourself and please be wary.

:banghead:

Well - thats a good chunk of my life I'm never going to get back.

Why are we writing poems anyway?

;) Nice work. Those uni fees that LFN is paying have gone to good use!

If he has a cremation, I suppose it would be Swayze ablaze....

There once was a actor named Patrick,

who starred in many a big flick,

but then he got ill,

and along with WWI vet Bill,

could for some be a DDP hits hat-trick

But as Patrick began to feel worse

Yvonne came to his aid with a verse

When he'd read it he said

"I can now leave my bed" -

And the next day he did, in a hearse.

If he has a cremation, I suppose it would be Swayze ablaze....

Doesn't "Swayze Blazey" have a better ring to it?

Or "Ghost Roast"?

Or. more realistically, "Crap Actor Incinerated"? :banghead: