Vaagheid

Academy Award Winners

Well, Paul Newman isn't meant to be too well and of course we are all waiting on Sydney Pollack...

If somebody could find the generosity in their heart to present a list of every living Academy Award winner it would make my selective ordeal much easier. It is more then enough trying to figure out who was awarded what. These days the thought of being selective brings on much pressure. I enjoy doing it, but it drives me out of my mind.

Luise Rainer would be a good bet. Double Oscar winner in the 1930s, she is now 97. Also Gloria Stuart is 96, she won best supporting actress for playing Rose in Titanic (1997).

Luise Rainer would be a good bet. Double Oscar winner in the 1930s, she is now 97. Also Gloria Stuart is 96, she won best supporting actress for playing Rose in Titanic (1997).

She didn't win, she was only nominated, Kim Basinger beat her for her role in L.A. Confidential.

I mentioned here why I think Robert F. Boyle will make it to 100. Luise Rainer was not only doing, but looking, fantastic a year ago, though I admit I haven't heard anything lately. Pollack is the obvious choice, but I think a long time ago someone made a list of all the living 80 or 85+ Academy Award Winners. Probably some good ones there if you've got the time to sift...

I mentioned here why I think Robert F. Boyle will make it to 100. Luise Rainer was not only doing, but looking, fantastic a year ago, though I admit I haven't heard anything lately. Pollack is the obvious choice, but I think a long time ago someone made a list of all the living 80 or 85+ Academy Award Winners. Probably some good ones there if you've got the time to sift...

Oh, I didn't realise that. I couldn't find it. So if you can give me a link to this list, I'll look at it.

The first post in the series is here, but now that I've seen it again for the first time in almost two years, it's not very helpful at all. Aside from being two years out of date and spread across multiple pages of the thread, it doesn't list their ages and lists EVERYONE who's still living who won the award, without discriminating for health or even age. But it might be a good place to start, since it does give you lists with the deceased ones eliminated. Perhaps you can produce something along the lines of 'arry's list of colourful, but old Nobel laureates. Academy Award winners, like Nobels, are all but guaranteed an appropriate obit.

Sigh... Academy Award winners of a certain age/illness:

Best Actor

Ernest Borgnine b. 1917

Richard Dreyfuss b. 1947 (Depression)

Robert Duvall b.1931

Gene Hackman b.1931

Charlton Heston b.1924

Anthony Hopkins b. 1937 (Heavy Drinker)

Paul Newman b. 1925

Jack Nicholson b. 1937 (Lifestyle)

Sidney Poitier b. 1927

Maximillian Schell b. 1930

Best Actress

Luise Rainier b. 1910

Joan Fontaine b. 1917

Jennifer Jones b. 1919

Olivia de Havilland b. 1916

Joanne Woodward b.1930

Elizabeth Taylor b. 1932

Patricia Neal b. 1926

Liza Minelli b. 1946 (Drink & lots more!)

Ellen Burstyn b. 1932

Maggie Smith b. 1934

Louise Fletcher b. 1934

Best Supporting Actor

Karl Malden b. 1912

George Chakiris b. 1934

George Kennedy b. 1925

Sir Michael Caine b. 1933

Sir Sean Connery b. 1930

Martin Landau b. 1931

Best Supporting Actress

Celeste Holm b. 1917

Eva Marie Saint b. 1924

Dorothy Malone b. 1925

Shirley Jones b. 1934

Rita Moreno b. 1931

Estelle Parsons b. 1927

Cloris Leachman b. 1926

Olympia Dukakis b. 1931

That's the actors & actresses - I am sure someone can put together a list of directors, cinematographers, other notables & Honorary Award winners.

From the above, prime candidates would be: (In no particular order):

Holm, Kennedy, Malden, Neal, Smith (if cancer fight goes badly), Rainer, de Havilland, Fontaine, Jones, Schell, Newman (if he DOES have cancer), Borgnine & Heston.

Patricia Neal has also suffered depression and anorexia in the past, don't know if that is still relevant though.

My top picks would probably have to be

1: Liz Taylor

2: Karl Malden

3: Maggie Smith

4: Jack Nicholson Well it is usually someone you dont expect.

Well, of all people with an award, it was actually Abby Mann in the end.

If public demand is high & I get time (both doubtful), I might put all the other possibles with an Academy Award.

Widmark, of course, did not win an Oscar, but was nominated all those years ago...

edit:

removed

Edited by Vaagheid

Horton Foote, who won Best Adapted Screenplay for To Kill a Mockingbird and Best Original Screenplay for Tender Mercies has died at 92.

Guest HullAlum1986
Doctors gave Robin Williams weeks to live.

Couldn't find a thread for the man so placed it here.

We haven't had a famous American celebrity die since PLEASE INSERT RANDOM NAME HERE so I'd say that it's about time... Apparently, more famous racehorses have died recently than famous celebrities. :rolleyes: Heck, the most famous celebrity to have passed away in the last month or so is PLEASE INSERT RANDOM NAME HERE!

If/when Robin Williams passes away...it will truly feel like the end of an era. Williams is a great character actor. Not the biggest name out there, but a pretty cool guy. His most memorable roles to me are the loudmouthed twat out of Take That! Honestly, I'd much rather see Fidel Castro or Kim Jong-il die. Those two are my real big hits of 2009.

Hopefully this isn't a case of the media once again hyping a celebrity's "imminent" demise. At least the media didn't try to hype it up with the whole "Williams is gonna die in a matter of days" thing that the media did with the likes of Patrick Swayze, Ed McMahon, and Farrah Fawcett. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this looks to be yet ANOTHER example of a celebrity teasing us with news of "OH no!!!! This celebrity is imminently dying! It turns out to be exaggeration from the media, ONCE AGAIN.

Again, I'm sick and tired of these celebrity rags trying to exploit our obsession with moribund celebrities by using attention grabbing headlines like, "EXCLUSIVE! THIS CELEBRITY IS ABOUT TO DIE SOON!" They said that for Patrick Swayze, Michael Jackson, and now Robin Williams!

I hate these f&^%ing tabloid rags. They try to tease us with exclusive coverage of, ""THIS CELEBRITY IS ABOUT TO DIE SOON!" when it turns out the celebrity was hospitalized for a relatively minor procedure.

I'm really sick and tired of these bull$hit articles. I guess it's a desperate attempt to sell newspapers by trying to appeal to people's obsession with the moribund, especially if they're celebrities.

There's been a spate of articles lately proclaiming that all these famous celebrities are about to die soon. Yet we haven't exactly had an avalanche of celebrity deaths lately... I figure that this is an extremely slow year for celebrity deaths. Last year we'd seen the likes of Brad Renfro, Heath Ledger, Bernie Mac, Paul Newman, Tim Russert etc. virtually all the celebs who have died in 09 were unknown to me and my generation.

I'm thinking, "Who the f*** cares?"

Must've been a very slow day for news.

Guest Davy Jones' Locker

Slightly off-topic as she is not an Academy Award winner but I have just learned about one French actress, Danielle Darrieux, very famous in her home country, who was born in 1917 putting her up there with Joan Fontaine and Olivia De Havilland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danielle_Darrieux

Judging from her filmography, she is still active but might be an interesting one to watch. Any chance of a UK obit for someone like that?