Vaagheid

Academy Award Winners

I often kick back and relax to an old school Japanese language movie. Tokyo Story is one of my Sunday afternoon faves. A glass of absinthe & tonic balancing on my well upholstered gut. I hope Setsuko makes it. I'll be stunned if she shuffles off this mortal coil at such a tender age.

A man after my own heart. :)

One more older foreign film actress:

Annie Girardot, born 1931, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2006. More of a B - film actress. Probably best known for "Traitement de choc" ("Shock Treatment") with highly controversial French film star Alain Delon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annie_Girardot

Dead. http://www.purepeople.com/article/annie-gi...-morte_a74967/1

Unique/joker for Poitou Team.

I only knew about her because I bought a cheap boxed set of 1970s Alain Delon films a few months ago and decided to look up all of the actors and actresses in them at the time but yesterday afternoon, on a sudden impulse, I went and bought the counterpart set of 1970s Jean-Paul Belmondo flicks. I'd better check out the actress in those ones, too...

Some info on the old girl here:

http://www.france24.com/en/20110228-actres...nce-cinema-film

Maybe, from the way they are talking about her, she wasn't merely a B-film actress after all. :)

• Like 1

Most of the ones I provided above are foreign language film stars. Perhaps the moderator could create a separate thread for that topic.

You could do that yourself, DJL... You might have to register, I'm not sure about that, which would add to your respectability anyway. You're a pretty heavy poster right now - which is fine with me, of course - but I'm sure the regulars like to know who they're dealing with.

Three days short of a year later, I am going to do just that! New thread on sexy foreign actresses will be split off in just a moment...

"Oscar-winning actress Reese Witherspoon is at home and recovering after being hit by a car while jogging in the beach community of Santa Monica."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-08/rees...ccident/2876904

Not driving quite fast enough. :scratchhead:

MY GOD, that's horrible...SHE won an Oscar???

"Oscar-winning actress Reese Witherspoon is at home and recovering after being hit by a car while jogging in the beach community of Santa Monica."

Yes, I was actually going to stick that news item in the "Daft Useless Bimbos" thread but then I read in the article that she has been an Academy Award recipient. ^_^ I guess she must have been on the right casting couches, if you get my drift...

Yes, I was actually going to stick that news item in the "Daft Useless Bimbos" thread but then I read in the article that she has been an Academy Award recipient. ^_^ I guess she must have been on the right casting couches, if you get my drift...

I do mate I do - lucky buggers...

* Not having watched "Walk the Line"

Film producer John Calley has died. Among the films he produced are The Da Vinci Code Angels and Demons and one of my favourite movies Eye of the Devil

Another one to add to the list is the producer John Calley, who received an honorary Oscar award in December, but he was too ill to attend the ceremony. That was enough for me to put him on my DDP team, but I still haven't managed to find out quite what is wrong with him.

I never did find out what was wrong with John Calley, so I reluctantly dropped him from this year's DDP entry. According to his Wiki page, he made this cryptic statement last year when he won his Oscar:

You’re very unhappy for a long period of time. And you don’t experience joy. At the end you experience relief, if you’re lucky

That could mean anything from mild depression to terminal cancer. If anyone ever finds out what's bothering him, please let us know.

Film producer John Calley has died. Among the films he produced are The Da Vinci Code Angels and Demons and one of my favourite movies Eye of the Devil

Oh balls. I dropped John Calley from my DDP squad at the last minute in favour of the seemingly indestructable Jim Stynes, who I'd hazard a guess will just make it to 2012.

I liked that obit, Calley comes across as a bit of a fragile character.

Guest Guest

one worth looking at is Anita Ekberg, who has had some health problems:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Anita_Ekberg

"Despite her condition not being considered serious, she has been put under observation in the facility", or so says that oracle of all truth, Wikipedia. <_<

Anita Ekberg, now "broke and alone", has appealed for financial help. :(

Ekberg, who has no family, says she desperately needs assistance with the bills as she recuperates in a care home after suffering a broken leg. She is unable to walk or look after herself and her plight has been exacerbated by the theft of jewellery and some furniture from her home, which to compound her misery, was recently damaged by a serious fire.

one worth looking at is Anita Ekberg, who has had some health problems:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Anita_Ekberg

"Despite her condition not being considered serious, she has been put under observation in the facility", or so says that oracle of all truth, Wikipedia. <_<

Anita Ekberg, now "broke and alone", has appealed for financial help. :(

Ekberg, who has no family, says she desperately needs assistance with the bills as she recuperates in a care home after suffering a broken leg. She is unable to walk or look after herself and her plight has been exacerbated by the theft of jewellery and some furniture from her home, which to compound her misery, was recently damaged by a serious fire.

Funny how someone who was so sexy in her heyday could end up alone. :(

EDIT: Anita hasn't actually won any Academy Awards in her own right so we should probably move this discussion about the old girl to the "Foreign Personalities of Screen, etc" thread, kindly mods...

Oscar -winning special effects 'wizard' Eileen Moran has died from ovarian cancer. she was 'in her mid-50s'.

Double Oscar-winning screenwriter Ruth Prawer Jhabvala has died aged 85. She won for A Room With a View and Howard's End.

She also won the Booker prize for her novel Heat and Dust.

Double Oscar-winning screenwriter Ruth Prawer Jhabvala has died aged 85. She won for A Room With a View and Howard's End.

She also won the Booker prize for her novel Heat and Dust.

The only person ever to win a Booker and an Oscar!

More importantly a unique hit for my DDP Theme Team!

Academy Award Winner Gabriel Axel (Best Foreign Film, Babbette's Feast) has died aged 95.

A unique DDP hit for The Last Picture Show (qualifying obit notwithstanding).

Ken Thorne Oscar winning tv and film Composer who's best known work is Superman II and III is dead at 90.

This is a list of living Academy A ward winners for Best Actor and Actress. All of these individuals are at least 80 years old. And yes, I do realize that the first two are already on the list. I am thinking that Sidney Poitier, Gene Hackman, and Joanne Woodward could be good candidates for a future DL.

Name

DOB

Award

Year

Film

Luise Rainer 1/12/1910

Best Actress 1937 The Great Ziegfeld

Best Actress 1938 The Good Earth

Olivia De Havilland 7/1/1916

Best Actress 1947 To Each His Own

Best Actress 1950 The Heiress

Sidney Poitier 2/20/1927

Best Actor 1964 Lilies of the Field

Gene Hackman 1/30/1930

Best Actor 1972 The French Connection

Joanne Woodward 2/27/1930

Best Actress 1958 The Three Faces of Eve

Robert Duvall 1/5/1931

Best Actor 1984 Tender Mercies

Ellen Burstyn 12/7/1932

Best Actress 1975 Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore

Shirley MacLaine 4/24/1934

Best Actress 1984 Terms of Endearment

Louise Fletcher 7/22/1934

Best Actress 1976 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Sophia Loren 9/20/1934

Best Actress 1962 Two Women

I heard today that an Oscar winning musician by the name of Sakamoto is cancelling work engagements due to "ill health" The only musician I can recall is a guy who had a hit in nthe 1960's with a little ditty called Suriyaki, but no doubt some film buff will inform us for what he won an Oscar

I heard today that an Oscar winning musician by the name of Sakamoto is cancelling work engagements due to "ill health" The only musician I can recall is a guy who had a hit in nthe 1960's with a little ditty called Suriyaki, but no doubt some film buff will inform us for what he won an Oscar

Ryuichi Sakamoto, who won the award for The Last Emperor, but is also well known for Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence. And he has throat cancer. :(

Could be him then because when I checked with the Guinness book of Hit singles, the Sakamoto I mentioned died in 1985

Oscar-winning (for Amadeus) make-up artist Dick Smith, dies aged 92.

He also made-up Marlon Brando as Vito Corleone in The Godfather.

He also made-up Marlon Brando as Vito Corleone in The Godfather.

Surely Johnson & Johnson should have got the credit for that?

• Like 1