Death in Vegas

Time Added

I don't think that the people who cover world events or rock icons dying in the news room are the same people on the Hull City beat, Roey.

Having said that, I didn't pick our Les this year out of a fear that his obit would be limited to the BBC regional pages. Same reason Keith Welch didn't make the cut, although Welchy's doing significantly better now apparently.

• Like 1

We'll know for sure if there are some suspicious obits.

"Tom Petty, who has died aged 66, was best known for the 1981 Hull promotion push..."

• Like 2

Probably before Joey's time: in 2002, CNN (?) accidentally put up their Reagan and Pope obits, only they were all based on the Queen Mum's obit, so refered to Pope John Paul II as being "the nation's favourite grandmother" and "fond of her whisky".

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 02/10/2017 at 20:35, dodrade said:

This reminds me of maryports comments as to how many old iconic footballers the committee could justify having on the list.My instinct is about 5 next year :Stiles (If he is still alive) Wilson Peters Muller and Bowles although Roger Hunt Greaves Banks St John, McNeill ,Chalmers ,Swan Gazza Ray Kennedy Paul Madelely Sansom Armfield Bonetti the Charlton brothers George Cohen and Worthington would all be good 2018 DL picks

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RishCast said:

Roberto Anzolin, Italian goalie who played for Juventus and the national team, has died at 79. (link to a translation from the Italian)

Start of his career, there was Lorenzo Buffon (who, bloody hell, is still alive - I thought he was long gone). End of it, Dino Zoff.  That's what I call shit timingt for an Italy career, really.

So I was looking up keepers of that time period and found Sarti died in June. Did a search on here to see if he'd been mentioned (if he hadn't it'd have been weird given Spade, drol, others). Not only was he, but in mentioning, Spade made the exact same reference about number of Italian keepers. Bah, late to every party.

• Like 1

Hull will be holding a minutes silence for Les Mutrie before their next home game.  Hoping this will get mentioned in the BBC text commentary, although slightly disappointed the national press have completely ignored his demise.

On 9/23/2017 at 18:00, msc said:

Possibly only of interest to me and Young Willz (though if he doesn't get a full BBC obit, I'll be having words) but have heard on the ground that the great man John Lambie is seriously ill. :(

Another update: treatment for said illness apparently not working. Sounds like cancer of some sort, in a 76 year old drinker.

On 21/08/2017 at 15:55, Spade_Cooley said:

Guido Rossi, the lawyer who took over at the Italian FA following the Calciopoli scandal in 2006 and was responsible for the stripping of Juventus' titles, dead at 86.

Another Calciopoli-related death for you: Aldo Biscardi, creator/host of long-running (in various formats) TV show The Monday Trial, in which the weekend's football events were analysed in painstaking detail over a period of four hours, dead at 86. He was implicated in the Italian match-fixing scandal, allegedly for taking instruction from Luciano Moggi on what topics to avoid during the show. He was suspended by the Italian journalist union as a result.

I have heard of him, possibly through mention in A Season with Verona? Either that or Castel di Sangro.

Goalkeeper Choirul Huda has tragically passed away after colliding with Persela team-mate Ramon Rodrigues.  The 38-year-old was in action for his side in the Indonesia Super League against Semen Padang when the incident happened during the first half.  The Indoensian footballer was the captain of Persela and played nearly 500 games for the club.

0:15 Video in article, no biggie, but you get to hear what a leg cracking a skull sounds like.
SC

• Like 1

Former Bristol Rovers Chairman Geoff Dunford dead at 66

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-41609571

The Dunford family are remembered fondly by many Gasheads for helping keep the club alive after taking over in 1986 with the club staring into the abyss - there was a very real chance that Rovers would have gone out of existence within the following 18 months.

11 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Manuel Sanchis, the father not the son, but also a European Cup winner for Real Madrid (in 1966), also a player for the national team, dead at 79:

https://as.com/futbol/2017/10/28/primera/1509217380_306117.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Sanchís_Martínez

Scored in 66 WC so the Fifa thread for him....

*along with the Maldinus and the Busquets,  him and his son won the European Cup/CL. The only 3 father/son combos to have done so...

Former Ajax and Vitesse centre-back Abubakari Yakubu dead at 36. He was part of the Ghana side that choked so badly in the 2006 Africa Cup of Nations that most of the team didn't feature in the World Cup six months later. 

He also featured in World Soccer magazine's "Best Young Team In The World" for 2003, alongside Fernando Torres, Andres Iniesta and John O'Shea.

18 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Former Ajax and Vitesse centre-back Abubakari Yakubu dead at 36. He was part of the Ghana side that choked so badly in the 2006 Africa Cup of Nations that most of the team didn't feature in the World Cup six months later. 

He also featured in World Soccer magazine's "Best Young Team In The World" for 2003, alongside Fernando Torres, Andres Iniesta and John O'Shea.

:lol:

Graham Rix (who fits into the modern climate, really) had a heart attack earlier this year, apparently. Maybe one to keep an eye on - he's 60, and doesn't seem destined for old age.

Former Standard Liege player Denis Dasoul, dead at 34 by getting hit by a lightning while learning how to surf:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4869809/football-denis-dasoul-dead-34-lightning-surfing/

Was also captain of the Belgian national youth team. His trainer died as well.

Former Celtic and Manchester United midfielder Liam Miller rumoured to be gravely ill.

• Like 1