Death in Vegas

Time Added

I'm sorry but if I was anyway involved in football I'd not be getting on a plane any time soon.

19 minutes ago, Deathray said:

I'm sorry but if I was anyway involved in football I'd not be getting on a plane any time soon.

33853e6d79a87f59ae838f8ae29f529f.jpg

• Haha 2

For a striker, he wasn't any good in the air.

* stolen, obviously......

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, the_engineer said:

I wonder if Cardiff will still have to pay for him? Very sad if confirmed.

Someone more knowledgeable than me might know but...

I'm guessing somewhere along the line there's likely a legal case and an insurance payout coming. If the money hadn't left Cardiff the selling club will have a policy on him, if it had Cardiff will be claiming and - either way - the most important factor on value of the payout will be the selling price agreed with Cardiff. That said, if his Cardiff deal had payments built in based on results, goals scored, sell-on clause etc. - it'll get messy.

15 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Someone more knowledgeable than me might know but...

I'm guessing somewhere along the line there's likely a legal case and an insurance payout coming. If the money hadn't left Cardiff the selling club will have a policy on him, if it had Cardiff will be claiming and - either way - the most important factor on value of the payout will be the selling price agreed with Cardiff. That said, if his Cardiff deal had payments built in based on results, goals scored, sell-on clause etc. - it'll get messy.

Transfer of ownership for insurance purposes does not necessarily have to match the timing of the cash flow, nor does the insurable value. I don't see any need for a legal case to resolve the insurance payout, they should pay out against the contract wording on transfer of ownership and a death certificate - it could get messy if no death certificate is issued.

The worst case scenario for Cardiff would be that their insurance policy requires notification of a player transfer before any policy would come into effect and it was still on someone's 'To Do' list when they went home on Monday - more likely though, bearing in mind sums involved, that all insurance values and policies in place are confirmed at time of contract signing in same way as a house and car.

7 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Transfer of ownership for insurance purposes does not necessarily have to match the timing of the cash flow, nor does the insurable value. I don't see any need for a legal case to resolve the insurance payout, they should pay out against the contract wording on transfer of ownership and a death certificate - it could get messy if no death certificate is issued.

The worst case scenario for Cardiff would be that their insurance policy requires notification of a player transfer before any policy would come into effect and it was still on someone's 'To Do' list when they went home on Monday - more likely though, bearing in mind sums involved, that all insurance values and policies in place are confirmed at time of contract signing in same way as a house and car.

My guess on the messy is down to two things

Record signing, so this ain't cheap and Cardiff have likely pushed the envelope on the payment to try and ensure top flight survival meaning the deal's likely based on payments along the way linked to his performance and possibly including a sell-on clause (possibly including some wording about what happens if they're relegated). Totally get the importance of wording in the contract, but some of the wording here likely starts by saying "In the event of..." or similar. The point being the actual net amount of the deal could well be a point of argument from the second he's confirmed to be floating face down and the sheer tonnage of money in that deal means it might be worth employing lawyers.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Record signing, so this ain't cheap and Cardiff have likely pushed the envelope on the payment to try and ensure top flight survival meaning the deal's likely based on payments along the way linked to his performance and possibly including a sell-on clause (possibly including some wording about what happens if they're relegated). Totally get the importance of wording in the contract, but some of the wording here likely starts by saying "In the event of..." or similar. The point being the actual net amount of the deal could well be a point of argument from the second he's confirmed to be floating face down and the sheer tonnage of money in that deal means it might be worth employing lawyers.

Wonder if it's possible nantes were still  insured for him and he became a cardiff player without having the chance to switch insurance over to cardiff city. Then that gets very messy. Insurance might be built into the contract,so cardiff  insured him as soon as him signed. I can see an agreement were cardiff pay a portion of the fee out of the insurance and nantes forget about the add ons if that's the case.

8 hours ago, the_engineer said:

I wonder if Cardiff will still have to pay for him? Very sad if confirmed.

You should only pay on the delivery of the goods!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Well, that went well.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Toast said:

Well, that went well.

Re their top flight survival, they're still in need of a decent striker and likely can't pay anything like they want to (even if the insurers cough up on this and the deal's simple it'll still take a while)

Neil Warnock - on the other hand - has form escaping relegation. It's likely to get uglier, more physical and - maybe - just functional enough to put two teams between them and the doomed Huddersfield Town

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Re their top flight survival, they're still in need of a decent striker and likely can't pay anything like they want to (even if the insurers cough up on this and the deal's simple it'll still take a while)

Neil Warnock - on the other hand - has form escaping relegation. It's likely to get uglier, more physical and - maybe - just functional enough to put two teams between them and the doomed Huddersfield Town

Despite Ranieri, Fulham look doomed too. So it's likely down to Cardiff and Newcastle (a bunch of Championship players somehow managed by a top manager) for the last spot imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, msc said:

Despite Ranieri, Fulham look doomed too. So it's likely down to Cardiff and Newcastle (a bunch of Championship players somehow managed by a top manager) for the last spot imo.

Aye, well

Officially "no hope" for Sala now - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46966424

23 hours ago, Deathray said:

In last 70 years about 2 professional footballers a year (140 total) have died in plane crashes - simply because footballers travel in teams this is mainly in chunks, so 8 in the Munich crash for example. This excludes all the support staff, managers etc who have died with them.

2 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

In last 70 years about 2 professional footballers a year (140 total) have died in plane crashes - simply because footballers travel in teams this is mainly in chunks, so 8 in the Munich crash for example. This excludes all the support staff, managers etc who have died with them.

Aye, but there's something to be said for the skilful way that teams like Carlisle and Accrington Stanley work hard to avoid qualifying for European competition or signing players so expensive they have to jet everywhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, but there's something to be said for the skilful way that teams like Carlisle and Accrington Stanley work hard to avoid qualifying for European competition or signing players so expensive they have to jet everywhere.

Yes I believe no Fort William player has ever been killed in a plane crash.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Yes I believe no Fort William player has ever been killed in a plane crash.

Although a Fort William shinty player has previously been killed by a train driven by his ex-girlfriend.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/321253/former-shinty-player-killed-train-driven-ex-girlfriend/

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Although a Fort William shinty player has previously been killed by a train driven by his ex-girlfriend.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/321253/former-shinty-player-killed-train-driven-ex-girlfriend/

He threw himself under the train knowing she was driving it, surely

On 02/01/2019 at 16:24, nantonian2013 said:

Rumours on Twitter from a couple of days ago (annoyingly I only came across them today, after the DDP deadline) that Dean Hoyle, Huddersfield's chairman, is "seriously ill". 

Speculation in the press and on the Huddersfield forum today that Dean Hoyle is trying to sell the club.  

8 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Speculation in the press and on the Huddersfield forum today that Dean Hoyle is trying to sell the club.  

I see that he is a unique in the DDP for some team called The Living End........

9 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

I see that he is a unique in the DDP for some team called The Living End........

Tap ins can get boring.  Sometimes you just need to shoot from the halfway line and hope for the worst. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Predicting big things for this plucky young upstart team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll take 'seriously ill' over 'seriously old' any day of the week.