Death in Vegas

Time Added

Just now, Octopus of Odstock said:

Well, yes, he had dementia for years. 

I know but usually the push notification doesn't mention cause of death for someone getting on in years - but now they doing so.

• Like 2

That’s two England G’s in 2020 so far.  I’d be watching my back if I was a living one.

21 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Alf Wood, who played for Manchester City, Shrewsbury, Millwall and Middlesbrough, has died aged 74.

And with a Qualifying Obit, the DDP will have reached 100 hits in the 2nd fastest time yet, behind only 2016.

1 hour ago, msc said:

And with a Qualifying Obit, the DDP will have reached 100 hits in the 2nd fastest time yet, behind only 2016.

I think a Q/O will be unlikely unless he died with the Virus and he makes a roundup.

If we still had football live coverage we'd soon have two QOs... now, I'm not so sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gcreptile said:

If we still had football live coverage we'd soon have two QOs... now, I'm not so sure.

Sport journalists currently have little to do but are mostly still working.

Report of the death of British born footballer John Rowlands, playing for lower league teams in England before playing in South Africa and the US:

Bob Hermann, one of the co-founders of the North American Soccer League and the soccer executive who launched the Hermann Trophy, given annually to the top college soccer players in the United States, has died.  He was 97.  Hermann helped create the National Professional Soccer League, a 10-team circuit in the U.S. and Toronto. After its inaugural 1967 season, the NPSL merged with the United Soccer Association and formed the North American Soccer League. The league folded in 1984.

https://www.avpress.com/news/hermann-soccer-boss-who-helped-found-nasl-has-died/article_7bb022a0-8121-11ea-972c-6f90ba22aa1e.html

Cardiff City fixture Jimmy Goodfellow dead at 76. Rumoured to be the 'rona, once again.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Dave Bacuzzi, player for Arsenal, Man City and Reading, dead at 79.

Oh no, another Reading FC passing this year. Not a good year at all. Dave became a travel agent I think later in life. 

• Like 1

An unnamed [presumably current] player for former French champions Montpellier is currently hospitalised with "Digestive and respiratory problems"

EDIT: L'Equipe has named the player as Junior Sambia  (23)

He is currently in intensive care after his condition deteriorated

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Montpellier-junior-sambia-hospitalise/1129331

Edited by MarcJWallace
Additional information

Former Bologna president (and subsequent honorary "president for life") Giuseppe Gazzoni Frascara dead at 84.  Was behind their stunning climb from bankruptcy in the third tier to that Robert Baggio/Giuseppe Signori side of the late 90s that nearly won the UEFA Cup, and was also one of the main finger-pointers at Juventus during calciopoli. 

The former Surinamese footballer Rinaldo Entingh has died of his injuries three days after being struck by a car in his native Paramaribo.

Entingh, who was 67, spent his entire career with the eminent Surinamese club Robinhood, forming a legendary attack with Roy George and Errol Emanuelson, the father of the former Ajax, Fulham, Roma and Netherlands winger Urby Emanuelson.

He won 27 caps for Suriname, scoring 5 goals in an international career that lasted from 1972 until 1985.

https://www.dbsuriname.com/2020/04/23/oud-topvoetballer-entingh-20ste-verkeersdode/

Jacques Vendroux, a French journalist with permission from the family to announce the death of Robert Herbin - 

Herbin, who was 81, had two spells as manager of Saint-Etienne.

His first, between 1972 and 1983 saw them collect four French titles and three French Cups and also saw his side finish as runners-up to Bayern Munich in Glasgow in 1976 in what was the final of Bayern's three successive European Cup wins in that era under Dettmar Cramer.

As a player, he also won five French titles and three French Cups with Saint-Etienne.

He was involved in 9/10 of Saint-Etienne's title-winning teams as a player and manager and won all 6 of their French Cups and 4/5 of their French Super Cups.

7 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Herrbin played twice in the 1966 World Cup for France as well.

A lot of that squad seem to have died in the last year or so. How many left?