Death in Vegas

Time Added

Algerian footballer Said Amara dead at 87

• Like 4

Keith Pontin, long-time Cardiff City centerback in the late 70s who also played twice for the Welsh national team (debuting in their 1980 4-1 win over England), dead at 64. He'd been suffering early onset dementia for five years but apparently hadn't been fingered by anyone on the forum (or presumably DDP) for it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Keith Pontin, long-time Cardiff City centerback in the late 70s who also played twice for the Welsh national team (debuting in their 1980 4-1 win over England), dead at 64. He'd been suffering early onset dementia for five years but apparently hadn't been fingered by anyone on the forum (or presumably DDP) for it.

Some of those types of picks are quite private and fall through the gaps. I'm reminded of former Peterborough manager Chris Turner dying in 2015 and winding up a unique on a theme team.

Amara was on my cup team (lots of "gravely ill" talk around March) but I blatantly forgot all about him for the Poker game.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/willie-hunter-tributes-paid-former-hibs-motherwell-and-scotland-player-2932936

Former Scottish football player  Willie Hunter has died aged 80.

He played for Scotlands national team  Hibs , Motherwell and was manager of Queen of the south and Inverness Caledonian. 

• Like 1

Gabriel Ochoa Uribe, the most successful coach in Colombian football history, has died aged 90.

A goalkeeper, he began his career with America de Cali, one of the biggest Colombian clubs in 1946 before moving three years later to Millonarios where he played alongside Alfredo di Stefano.

A brief sojourn to Brazil followed in 1955-56 where he played for America in Rio before returning to end his career at Millonarios where he eventually became manager in 1958.

In total, he won four Colombian titles and a Colombian Cup with Millonarios as a player.

As a coach, he won fourteen titles between three sides. 

Six with Millionarios in 1959, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964 and 1972

One with Santa Fe in 1966

And seven with America de Cali in 1979, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986 and 1990 He also managed Colombia on two occasions, at the 1963 Copa América and for a brief spell in 1985.

https://www.antena2.com/futbol/liga-aguila/luto-en-el-futbol-colombiano-muere-gabriel-ochoa-uribe

• Like 1

On 02/08/2020 at 17:38, msc said:

Some of those types of picks are quite private and fall through the gaps. I'm reminded of former Peterborough manager Chris Turner dying in 2015 and winding up a unique on a theme team.

Amara was on my cup team (lots of "gravely ill" talk around March) but I blatantly forgot all about him for the Poker game.

It will be interesting to see if and when the epidemic of early onset dementia cases among footballers ends. Do we expect lots of players from the 80s, 90s and 21st century to be dying over the next 20-30 years from dementia or will the fact they played with a less heavy ball save them from the fate of their predecessors? 

Balls from I'd say the late 80's onwards weren't as heavy so probably we'll still see some but won't see as many as we're seeing from players in the eras before then 

Ernie Phythian has died aged 78.

Played for Bolton, Hartlepools and Wrexham and was an England youth international. He scored 98 goals in 260+ appearances.

• Like 1

Tom Forsyth, Scottish defender who played for Motherwell (1967-1972) and Rangers (1972-1982), has died aged 71. He also made 22 appearances for the Scottish National team from 1971-1978.

Edit: BBC

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Tom Forsyth, Scottish defender who played for Motherwell (1967-1972) and Rangers (1972-1982), has died aged 71. He also made 22 appearances for the Scottish National team from 1971-1978.

Friend of the family...... R.I.P Tam. 

• Sad 1

Tam Forsyth was part of Ally's Army at the 1978 WC Finals, wasn't he?

So...thread?

31 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Passable manager too wasn't he (Hearts on the CV - albeit as assistant). I've got vague memories that he was one of those Scottish managers rumored to be in Carlisle's sights for a while before joining a few others on the list of dugout legends we never had (like Tommy Craig, Ian McCall etc.). 

9 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

So...thread?

Aye, as well as three league titles, four Scottish cups and two League cups. If you would like to reduce his entire notable playing career to his appearance at the 1978 World Cup then go ahead and post it there too. 

16 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

So...thread?

Feel free to start one. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Paul Bearer said:

Feel free to start one. 

Oh no, just thinking of BiblioG keeping tabs on FIFA World Cup players for Scavvy Hunt 3 - The Final Conflict.

There's already a thread for those guys....

15 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Oh no, just thinking of BiblioG keeping tabs on FIFA World Cup players for Scavvy Hunt 3 - The Final Conflict.

There's already a thread for those guys....

Do you know something about this round that I don't YW...? :unsure:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Do you know something about this round that I don't YW...? :unsure:

Oh no, nothing....:rolleyes::angel4:

• Haha 1

Tommy Carroll, Ipswich Town right back from 1966 to 71, has died aged 77.

Provoked a fight with Bobby Robson after being left out of the side in Feb 71, which lead to his departure from the club.

• Like 1

The family of goalkeeping hero Dai Davies have asked people to share memories and stories after he was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. He is now at Nightingale Hospice in Wrexham

The 72-year-old from Llangollen played for Swansea, Everton, Wrexham, Tranmere Rovers and Bangor City and made 52 appearances for the Wales national football team between 1969 and 1987.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/former-wales-everton-goalkeeper-diagnosed-18779850

Sounds like the poor fellow might not even last beyond this month.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, NotTheNagsHeadReading said:

The family of goalkeeping hero Dai Davies have asked people to share memories and stories after he was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. 

Sure!  I can share one.

SirC went to his physician and complained about pain in the area of his pancreas, and said physician (65 yrs old or so) left and returned with his Gray’s Anatomy from his med school days, all tanned and written in, and sat with SirC and discussed the pancreas at large for 10 minutes.

SirC

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/08/2020 at 05:08, Grande Pablo said:

Aston Villa hero dies after crippling battle with dementia
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mike-tindall-aston-villa-dementia-18748706

Mike Tindall - not the royal eggchaser but former Villa, etc.

Needs a QO.

Mike Tindall gets a mention here

• Like 1