Death in Vegas

Time Added

2 hours ago, Perhaps said:

Former Aston Villa player Gordon Cowans diagnosed with Alzheimer's aged just 62.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8994905/Aston-Villa-legend-Gordon-Cowans-opens-footballs-dementia-scandal.html

This was announced back in March (see link) , but to be fair to you, maybe this resurfaced again after Mike Bailey's diagnosis https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/gordan-cowans-aston-villa-sid-17890941.amp

• Like 1

On 09/03/2020 at 19:11, Grande Pablo said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/11132919/aston-villa-gordon-cowan-alzheimers/

Gordon Cowans diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s.

He’s a friend of a friend & saw him about 3 or so years ago, & it was so sadly obvious he had some form of difficulty.

He’s now brave enough to go public & should be admired.  Cracking player for us in his day, & woefully underused by England.

Feel slightly hypocritical on having him on my list today.

Not sure how all this anti-heading stuff will end up, but it's a real shame nonetheless.  Cowans was a genius with the ball at his feet & rarely recall him heading the ball!

A few veteran managers who seem worthy of consideration: 

Frank O'Farrell - Manchester United (born 1927)

Tommy Docherty - Manchester United, Scotland and Chelsea (to name a few) (born 1928)

Billy Bingham - Everton & Northern Ireland (born 1931)

Gordon Lee - Everton & Newcastle (born 1934)

John Sillett - managed Coventry City to FA Cup glory (born 1936)

Jimmy Melia - took Brighton to 1983 FA Cup Final (born 1937)

Wilf McGuinness- Manchester United (born 1937)

Ron Atkinson- West Brom, Aston Villa, Sheffield Wednesday & Manchester United (born 1939) 

Terry Neill - Arsenal & Spurs (born 1942) 

• Like 1

Legendary Senegalese player Papa Bouba Diop has died per African Football account Sandals for Goalposts.

Means the 2008 FA Cup Final lists have now lost one player each. I'm not sure if that's the most recent FA Cup Final where there is a deceased player on both teams but I'd imagine it must be. 

(Whittingham for Cardiff, Diop for Portsmouth) 

German player Erich Haase died last week at 88:

https://www.wz.de/sport/fussball/wuppertaler-sv/wuppertaler-sv-idol-erich-haase-gestorben_aid-54761461

Notable for making the national team of both German states, well, at least the "B Elf" as we call the second row, in West Germany.

Former DDP pick, too.

• Like 1

Mohamed Abarhoun, a member of Morocco's 2012 Olympic squad, has died of stomach cancer aged 31.

The defender, who earned 7 caps for the Moroccan national side in 2013 and 2014, played domestically for Moghreb Tetouan before moving to Portugal to play for Moreirense and spent the 2019-2020 season at Caykur Rizespor in Turkey.

He fell ill in February of this year and was released by Rizespor at the end of the season, although the club supported him financially throughout despite his leaving the club.

https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2020/12/327619/moroccan-football-player-mohamed-abarhoun-dies-from-cancer-at-31/

• Like 1

On 02/12/2020 at 17:26, MarcJWallace said:

Mohamed Abarhoun, a member of Morocco's 2012 Olympic squad, has died of stomach cancer aged 31.

The defender, who earned 7 caps for the Moroccan national side in 2013 and 2014, played domestically for Moghreb Tetouan before moving to Portugal to play for Moreirense and spent the 2019-2020 season at Caykur Rizespor in Turkey.

He fell ill in February of this year and was released by Rizespor at the end of the season, although the club supported him financially throughout despite his leaving the club.

https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2020/12/327619/moroccan-football-player-mohamed-abarhoun-dies-from-cancer-at-31/

For fans of zero-hit DDP team Color Me Abbad, I think Mohamed Abarhoun is the first person to die this year that got a QO and would, theoretically, have broken the DDP record for earliest hit alphabetically.

32 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:
Victor Ponedelnik, who scored the winning goal for the USSR at the 1960 UEFA Euro, has died. He was the last surviving member from that squad.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/L-ancien-attaquant-sovietique-viktor-ponedelnik-est-mort-a-83-ans/1202351

(French language obit)

Played in the 1962 World Cup and was the last playing survivor of that squad. Only two squad members remain from that team now.

• Like 1

Out of interest, how many of the USSR 1966 World Cup squad who made the Semifinal are still going? 

55 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Out of interest, how many of the USSR 1966 World Cup squad who made the Semifinal are still going? 

Ponomaryov

Afonin

Khurtsilava

Sabo

Danilov

Sichinava

Porkjuan

Malofeyev

Markarov

Kavazashvili

10 out of 22, not too bad. 

A number of them died in their 50's through alcoholism, judging by causes of death. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Ponomaryov

Afonin

Khurtsilava

Sabo

Danilov

Sichinava

Porkjuan

Malofeyev

Markarov

Kavazashvili

10 out of 22, not too bad. 

A number of them died in their 50's through alcoholism, judging by causes of death. 

Probably better than England which is quite shocking when you consider the wealth of the two countries over this period. 

On 13/07/2020 at 13:05, Grim Up North said:

Update on DDP pick Ernie Moss from end of May

He had corona virus but he's recovered.

Ernie Moss must be pretty far gone if his daughter posts stuff like this:

I mean, he's not dead yet...

59 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Ernie Moss must be pretty far gone if his daughter posts stuff like this:

I mean, he's not dead yet...

He's in a care home so she's probably not able to visit him - might be nothing more than that.

Top DDP tip - he's a certainty to die in 2021 because I've dropped him from my team.

My father -in -law was at death's door on Monday night. My brother-in-law starting posting all sorts of crap on Facebook about saying goodbye etc. The bleedin phone was ringing off the hook for the next 2 hours with everyone commiserating with us at his passing and us telling people that he wasn't actually dead.

I can see the funny side to it, but I'm not going to tell the missus that!

• Haha 1

Motjeka Madisha, defender for South African sides M Tigers, Highlands Park and most recently the decorated Mamelodi Sundowns, has tragically been killed in a car accident aged 25. 

Madisha also had 13 caps and one goal for South Africa between 2015 and 2020. 

https://briefly.co.za/90701-mojeka-madisha-passes-hours-sundowns-celebrate-anniversary.html

• Like 1

Gerard Houllier has died...

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

46 minutes ago, time said:

Gerard Houllier has died...

Real shame he was a true gentleman 

That's a big one but had heart problems for years, didn't he have a mild heart attack when at Liverpool?