Death in Vegas

Time Added

This report sets it straight:

"The former Golden Eaglets’ assistant coach, according to close relatives died of complications from COVID-19 on Tuesday night. 

It was gathered that Shofoluwe battled with COVID-19 at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital before his death.

Shofoluwe was earlier diagnosed of COVID-19 contrary to the speculation of a brain disease."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did he play in the same Swansea team as you?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Exu said:

Did he play in the same Swansea team as you?

Well he was a bit before my time. I may have passed him in the gents room though 

• Haha 1

I remember him playing for Swansea in a Welsh cup tie at Stafford rangers (work that one out!) when Swansea were flying high in the old division one. I've never seen so much phlegm projected at a single person! He handled it with dignity though (and a large bath towel)

Real Madrid legend Pachín, born Enrique Pérez Díaz, has died aged 82.

He played for Real Madrid between 1959 and 1968, making 148 appearances and scoring two goals.

He was part of the Real Madrid sides that won the European Cup in 1960, in the famed Hampden final against Eintracht Frankfurt and 1966 when they came from a goal down to beat Partizan Belgrade in Brussels.

Despite his glittering career at club level with Real, he only made eight appearances for the Spanish national side - two of which came at the 1962 World Cup in a 1-0 win over Mexico and a 2-1 defeat to eventual winners Brazil.

https://www.realmadrid.com/en/news/2021/02/10/official-announcement-passing-of-enrique-perez-pachin

Kenny Jackett stepping away from his duties at Portsmouth as of Thursday due to "a medical procedure" 

Its unknown what the medical procedure was

• Like 1

On 23/12/2020 at 13:45, drol said:

Italian football legend Mauro Bellugi has both of his legs amputated due to complications from COVID-19.

Dead

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drol said:

On 23/12/2020 at 06:45, drol said:

Italian football legend Mauro Bellugi has both of his legs amputated due to complications from COVID-19.

Dead

How would you even find that in a search?

With the news that Peter Lorimer is seriously unwell I am reminded that according to Wikipedia at least the referee who presided over that infamous Leeds v West Brom match from 1971 which cost Leeds the title, Ray Tinkler, is still going (born 1929). The incident is famous for Barry Davies' "and Leeds will go mad" commentary. Weird that the referee and the commentator appear to have survived most of the players involved as Geoff Astle features prominently as well. Tony Brown, the West Brom number 8 is still alive. 

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

With the news that Peter Lorimer is seriously unwell I am reminded that according to Wikipedia at least the referee who presided over that infamous Leeds v West Brom match from 1971 which cost Leeds the title, Ray Tinkler, is still going (born 1929). The incident is famous for Barry Davies' "and Leeds will go mad" commentary. Weird that the referee and the commentator appear to have survived most of the players involved as Geoff Astle features prominently as well. Tony Brown, the West Brom number 8 is still alive. 

Read the Peter Lorrimer thread yet? 

10 minutes ago, Beachy Head said:

Glen Roeder ex West Ham manager has died aged 65

EvVF6u-XMAgC-PJ.jpeg

Got players starting to croak from my first Panini album, which is an unfortunate life notch.

A nice guy from the accounts I've seen.

• Like 1

That's a bit of a shocker . I don't think his illness was public or did I just miss it?

28 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

That's a bit of a shocker . I don't think his illness was public or did I just miss it?

He had a brain tumour years ago. I guess it's one of those that can be treated but never cured and most of them get you in the end, sadly.

EDIT: I highly recommend this book, which deals with them in more depth - https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/mar/30/do-no-harm-stories-brain-surgery-review-henry-marsh

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NotTheNagsHeadReading said:

He had a brain tumour years ago. I guess it's one of those that can be treated but never cured and most of them get you n the end, sadly.

Yeah I remember him collapsing after a game at West Ham back in 2003, I suppose he has done well to live with the condition for almost 2 decades. 

• Like 1

On 09/09/2020 at 19:18, Ulitzer95 said:

Leeds United F.C.
Wiki UK football club, formed in Leeds, West Yorkshire in 1919, this record comprised of players from the 1971–72 FA Cup Final team, Jack Charlton was awarded an OBE in 1974, Eddie Gray was awarded an MBE in 1983
Mick Bates 19 Sep 1947 – Living

A certain Leeds forum I have been looking at for no reason in the last few minutes also reports that Leeds legend Mick Bates is "gravely ill".

What did they do to get promoted last season? Sign a deal with Mephistopheles?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/01/2021 at 13:01, RoverAndOut said:

Shrewsbury manager Steve Cotterill will watch their FA Cup 4th Round tie from his hospital bed after contracting Covid. Brief stay in intensive care but on the mend it seems. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55705684

Steve Cotterill back in hospital with Covid-related pneumonia. 

• Like 1

Phil Chisnall the last player to directly transfer between Man Utd and Liverpool way back in 1964

• Like 1