Death in Vegas

Time Added

Bath striker Alex Fletcher in critical condition after sustaining a head injury in a match on Tuesday.

BBC

• Shocked 3

Can't decide if I should post i here, The Dutch thread or Oldest Footballers but here goes

Cor van ser Gijp (Wiki), Dutch footballer who is the highest goalscorer of all time for Feyenoord, and the uncle of footballer Rene van der Gijp, dead at 91. He was part of the 1956 Dutch Olympic team but did not play any game in the tournament.

Former goalkeeper John Connaughton has died aged 73. Originally on Manchester United's books (7 seasons, 3 appearances), he moved to Sheffield United (2 seasons 12 appearances) then Port Vale (6 seasons 218 appearances), before finishing in non-league with Altrincham.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hibs striker Jimmy O'Rourke dead at 76

Played over 200 games for Hibs in a very successful period under Eddie Turnbull in early 70s

• Like 3

Gerhard Rodax, Austrian international who played for Atletico Madrid in the 90s, dead aged 57. He was ill, but has died through being hit by a train in what is being called a "tragic accident".

• Like 1

Francis Joseph, a cult hero at Wimbledon, Brentford, Sheffield United and Reading has died, aged only 62. Guessing stroke or heart attack as not known to be poorly. 

Gained cult status for his work effort 'Have a go Jo' 

Got a BBC obit no less, possibly as he was Wimbledon's first black player. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/football/63675271.amp

Only third Reading player to have played in the last 37 years to have died (Since I started watching them). 

More in depth interview only recently with him here:https://www.brentfordfc.com/en/news/article/kings-of-the-castle-francis-joseph

• Like 4

On 18/10/2022 at 06:12, Perhaps said:

Frank McGarvey's diagnosis doesn't sound too promising.

"I've been to the hospital and they've told me what's probably going to happen to me.

"This might be my last time to see them [Celtic], so if I can just thank them very much for everything.

"When you come to see your family for the last time maybe, it's sad."

Frank McGarvey has pancreatic cancer. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/frank-mcgarvey-heartfelt-celtic-thank-28518567

Should now be a Drop 40 candidate.

4 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Might be but his fame outside of Scotland is not that high.

Ah, but among deadpoolers, famous and famous for having cancer (FAFFHC) is enough. ;)

• Like 1

Karim Gazzetta, Swiss international, dead by suicide, aged 27.

3 minutes ago, time said:

Karim Gazzetta, Swiss international, dead by suicide, aged 27.

Had some caps for the Under 20s. Was playing in Bosnia at time of his death, which is a bit of a football backwater.

2 hours ago, msc said:

Had some caps for the Under 20s. Was playing in Bosnia at time of his death, which is a bit of a football backwater.

Going by his name and the fact Swiss football is very Balkan he might well have had heritage in Bosnia. 

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Going by his name and the fact Swiss football is very Balkan he might well have had heritage in Bosnia. 

I would have guessed Gazzetta Football Italia.

Norrie Davidson dead aged 88.  Famous Aberdeen striker in the 1950s, and scored the winner in the 1962 League Cup final for Hearts, but clearly his greatest famous was that he once played 9 games for Partick Thistle.

• Like 2

David Johnson has died aged 71.

The England Euro squad of 1980 is dying off at quite a rate with 7 now gone and two confirmed to have dementia. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

David Johnson has died aged 71.

The England Euro squad of 1980 is dying off at quite a rate with 7 now gone and two confirmed to have dementia. 

Ray Clemence, Ray Kennedy, Ray Wilkins, Trevor Cherry, Emlyn Hughes, Paul Mariner and now David Johnson I believe are the 7 from this squad who have now deceased. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Steve said:

Ray Clemence, Ray Kennedy, Ray Wilkins, Trevor Cherry, Emlyn Hughes, Paul Mariner and now David Johnson I believe are the 7 from this squad who have now deceased. 

Presume you mean Watson and McDermott as the two with dementia. Some of the other survivors notably Sansom and Hoddle have had some serious health scrapes as well. 

• Like 1

Does anyone else find it odd that Alan Hansen has sort of vanished after he retired from the BBC.?

4 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Does anyone else find it odd that Alan Hansen has sort of vanished after he retired from the BBC.?

Here he is during the summer. He's basically taken retirement to heart and mostly just golfs and chills now, apparently.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, msc said:

Here he is during the summer. He's basically taken retirement to heart and mostly just golfs and chills now, apparently.

I would, too! I wonder about (mostly famous) people who are seemingly unable to retire.

• Like 3

Not sure if ever mentioned on these forums before, I assume this is the right thread?

Japanese footballer/journalist Hiroshi Kagawa will be 98 next month. Probably most known for getting the FIFA Presidential Award from Sepp Blatter in January 2015 (last person to get that) and he already didn't look that great back then. This article from August seems to say that his health condition is quite bad.

kagawa.thumb.jpg.c44726d12f5df9304059540b6d75b4da.jpg

(Japan also has another similar but a bit younger and less known football personality Kazuo Nakajo (ja wiki) 96-year-old Hiroshima footballer later football journalist who covered the FIFA world cup eight times. Survived the Hiroshima atomic bomb 1.8 kilometres from the hypocenter)

• Like 2