Death in Vegas

Time Added

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Report of the death of 70s era Bury player Alan Woolfall

Later played for Port Vale.

I'm a Port Vale fan as originally from Stoke-on-Trent. Alan Woolfall was before my time as I started following the Vale from the early 90's under the golden years with John Rudge as manager. Six seasons spent playing in The Championship (2nd tier) and 3 visits to Wembley in that time plus a spot of FA Cup giant killing knocking out Everton in February 1996 who were then the current FA Cup holders. 

• Like 1

On 26/09/2021 at 11:48, YoungWillz said:
On 16/09/2017 at 12:26, charon said:

Not exactly in the Spirit of the Thread, but might lead to a thread of its own after tomorrow.

The All Ireland fitba final is then, and it might bust the Curse of Mayo.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/1536512/all-ireland-winner-with-1951-mayo-team-blasts-claims-of-a-curse-as-nonsense-and-says-stephen-rochfords-men-will-beat-dublin-to-the-sam-maguire/

66 years of failure down to allegedly pissing off a priest on the way home after last winning it in 1951.

Interestingly from 'our' point of view, there are two elderly survivors from that team, and as long as The Curse lives, they would be highly obitable.

Padraig Carney and Paddy Prendergast.

Dubs win tomorrow and I might do one for them.

Yes, I'm shoehorning in here, sorry.

Of interest probably only to charon, ha, but Paddy Prendergast has died: https://westernpeople.ie/2021/09/26/death-announced-of-mayos-1951-all-ireland-hero/

Padraig Carney died in 2019.

Sub Mick Loftus is still alive according to the article

Shoehorning again: Mick Loftus has died. https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/dr-mick-loftus-former-gaa-president-and-last-surviving-member-of-mayos-1951-all-ireland-winning-panel-dies-aged-93-42444572.html

• Like 2

Bolivian football success is extremely rare. They've not qualified much for the World Cup and only won one Copa America, a quite remarkable achievement considering Brazil were World Champions and Argentina were regulars World Cup qualifiers. But Chile and Uruguay refused to take part in an event held in Bolivia.

One of the key players of that team, Renan Lopez, died last month, aged 83. https://www.lostiempos.com/deportes/futbol/20230310/luto-futbol-nacional-fallece-historico-renan-lopez,. Bolivian records re. former players is rubbish, but he's at least the fourth of the squad to die  (Alcocer, Ugarte, Aramayo definitely dead).

• Like 3

Long-time Hartlepool United goalkeeper Kenny Simpkins died on the 1st March. Also played for Wrexham, but it was a 5 year spell at Hartlepool that he'll be best remembered for, being a key part of the the side - Brian Clough's first managerial position. One of his team-mates was John McGovern, later to follow Clough and become Nottingham Forest's European Cup winning captain.

Simpkins, who played for the Welsh U-23 team, also scored a goal in one of the 121 matches he played for 'pool. Due to a massive injury list, he was picked to play up-front, scoring in a 3-2 win over Port Vale.

Hartlepool are about to be relegated to the National League, where Wrexham, Simpkins' other former club, have been promoted from today.

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/people/tributes-paid-to-hartlepool-united-goalscoring-goalkeeper-ken-simkins-after-his-death-aged-79-4045986

On 21/04/2023 at 14:14, YoungWillz said:

Report of the death of 70s era Bury player Alan Woolfall

Later played for Port Vale.

Fake news? Zero reports elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Fake news? Zero reports elsewhere.

Apparently confirmed by Peter Farrell who he played with in the 70s. The report is from a former Bury press officer.

For you and Steve, I always state that these are reports, and by doing so I do not and never confirm the veracity of the reports - but I do make a judgement on what I report as to the likelihood of it maybe being more true than not. If it turns out they aren't dead, that's for others to confirm.

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Apparently confirmed by Peter Farrell who he played with in the 70s. The report is from a former Bury press officer.

For you and Steve, I always state that these are reports, and by doing so I do not and never confirm the veracity of the reports - but I do make a judgement on what I report as to the likelihood of it maybe being more true than not. If it turns out they aren't dead, that's for others to confirm.

Steve's question related to an individual who is so obscure that I'm not surprised there are no mainstream reports.

Woolfall is not that obscure.

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Steve's question related to an individual who is so obscure that I'm not surprised there are no mainstream reports.

Woolfall is not that obscure.

Depends how you classify the Bury team of the 70s!

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Report of the death of DDP pick John Sainty, former Reading, Bournemouth and England Schoolboys striker: https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/23485264.former-southampton-fc-scout-john-sainty-died-aged-77/

Sad news. Ex Reading FC, but later a coach in the Hampshire area. It's a long time ago, but came across as a decent man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Sad news. Ex Reading FC, but later a coach in the Hampshire area. It's a long time ago, but came across as a decent man.

Apparently John Sainty died as far back as April 1: 

Shame it took so long for even a local report, though various clubs did report in the interim.

• Like 1

Tributes have been paid following the death of Cork City FC player David Saunders who passed away after his third cancer battle.

The talented player was one of the first to sign with Cork City's amputee team when it launched in 2017 and lined out for Ireland 38 times during his career.

SC

Tonight’s amputee league match:

Cork City FC v The Long John Silver Impersonators

• Like 1

Statue unveiled at Old Trafford to Sir Matt Busby's assistant Jimmy Murphy. Some of the attendees there

Notably Sir Alex Ferguson not there but did give a video message. Might be something might be not particularly given he's been at recent games so could just be a simple schedule conflict

Vicky Wright, daughter of legend Billy and Joy Beverley has died.

Dunno if it belongs on here or it has already been reported.

Don't care, either.

• Like 1

Saves having to argue she was famous enough in her own right for next year's DDP tbh.

• Like 2

2 minutos atrás, diego disse:

Arsenio Iglesias faleceu aos 92 anos, jogou por La Coruña, Albacete, Oviedo, Sevilha entre outros, e treinou Real Madrid, La Coruña, Compostela, Elche, Almeria, Hércules, Zaragoza, entre outros

https://www.dn.pt/desporto/morreu-arsenio-iglesias-antigo-treinador-do-real-madrid-e-deportivo-16298616.html

ArsenioIglesias.jpg

Sorry, I just saw it posted in another thread.

• Confused 1

On 03/05/2023 at 19:46, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Vicky Wright, daughter of legend Billy and Joy Beverley has died.

Vicky Wright is also a miss for my #1 Hits team. She was a member of "the Foxes", or "Little Foxes", a girl group comprising the Beverley Sisters' daughters: Vicky, sister Babette Wright, and cousin Sasha Felix (daughter of Teddie Beverley). They only released a couple of (non-charting) singles in their own right ('Crossed Line' and 'Golden Bodies', both in 1983), but technically had a #1 hit as part of "The Crowd", the 1985 charity ensemble who covered 'You'll Never Walk Alone' in aid of victims of the Bradford City stadium fire.

• Like 5

Néstor Matamala died on May 6 at the age of 82. The Chilean was a football coach with outstanding passages through Central America, being Honduran champion in 78-79 for Motagua, for Real España in 80-81, for Olímpia in 86-87 and coach El Salvador interim in the Copa 94 qualifiers,Died in Portugal

https://proceso.hn/fallece-en-portugal-el-exseleccionador-nestor-matamala/

Nestor-Matamala-696x476.jpg

• Confused 1

Viktor Djalilov died aged 71, the Uzbek was a football coach, In 1992, he was the coach of Politotdel, who were promoted to the Uzbek League, finishing the First League as runners-up, behind Shifokor Guliston, from 1995 to 1999 , Djalilov was the head coach of Navbahor Namangan . Navbahor won the Uzbek League in 1996 and the Uzbek Cup twice in this period and four times finished third in the league. In 1996, he was named Coach of the Year by the Football Association of Uzbekistan. He won this award twice more, with Pakhtakor in 2002 and Mash'al Mubarek (2005), he was coach of Uzbek under 23 national team in 2015

https://kun.uz/uz/news/2023/05/07/taniqli-futbol-murabbiyi-viktor-jalilov-vafot-etdi

m8OghhPvK4E2UGqM06X3-Bgr_7vbEV2l.jpg

• Confused 1

Alan Mullery (now 81) looked "very well" according to the commentator at tonight's game. That's just about the only positive I can fathom from a 5-1 drubbing at home. 

• Like 1