Death in Vegas

Time Added

...I bet Tony greig never had to stick his keys in dogshit when doing a pre match pitch report.

• Like 1

Bob Wilson, not the Arsenal goalkeeper, but his namesake - also a goalkeeper - who played for no-hopers Aston Villa and Cardiff, before joining Exeter City, has died aged 77.  

• Like 1

Olegs Karavajevs, Latvia's most-capped goalkeeper during the 1990s, has died aged 59.

A bit of a football nomad to put it politely, he began his career in Kyrgyzstan in 1979 with Alga Frunze before moving to Uzbek powerhouses Pakhtakor Tashkent, returning briefly to Alga before his career took him to Kazakhstan with Kairat Almaty, SKA Khabarovsk in Russia, Daugava Riga in his homeland, back to Russia with Fakel Voronezh and then to OFK Belgrade in Yugoslavia. [Now Serbia]

He returned to Latvia to play for Olimpija Riga in 1993 before moving on again to Cyprus where he turned out for Evagoras Paphos and then again to Germany where he played for Carl-Zeiss Jena and FSV Zwickau, he wrapped up his career in his homeland firstly with the dominant Latvian side of the time - Skonto Riga before completing one final move to FK Riga in 1999.

https://rus.tvnet.lv/7079485/umer-byvshiy-vratar-sbornoy-latvii-po-futbolu

In total, he played 38 matches for the Latvian national team between 1992 and 1999.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Perhaps said:

Tommy Robson dead.

I did a little dance, well as much as one ethically can without it being in poor taste. And then realised it says Robson not Robinson.

• Like 1

But at least Scotland won for a change , so there is something to smile about ! (even though they played shit :facepalm:

On 01/12/2019 at 13:34, Etushispushingupdaisies said:

Vasily Kulkov dead. Hit for me in the AODP, thanks to @Etushispushingupdaisies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/01/2020 at 18:23, Gooseberry Crumble said:

A clarification from the police regarding Jordan Sinnott, seems his former club misspoke with their tweet although apparently he is seriously ill and in a coma after an assault. 

Sadly his current football club have confirmed that Jordan has now died in a subsequent tweet saying he passed away at 7pm this evening. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12898976/fiancee-tragic-footballer-jordan-sinnott-killed-night-baby-born/ 

The fiance of footballer Jordan Sinnott ,who fell pregnant just weeks before he died,  has given birth to their baby. 

I felt this news was more appropriate  here than in the celebrity births thread.

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Says he was diagnosed with COVID shortly before his death in there. Though his cause of death is mentioned as cancer complications, wonder if it was covid that lead to his death? 

38 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Says he was diagnosed with COVID shortly before his death in there. Though his cause of death is mentioned as cancer complications, wonder if it was covid that lead to his death? 

Quite possible - it might be like how I was taught Criminal law - anything shortening changes the cause of death.

Ângelo Martins, a centre half for the great Benfica side which won the European Cup in 1961 and then retained it the following year, has died aged 90.

Known more commonly by his first name, Ângelo spent the entirety of his professional career with Benfica between 1952 and 1965 - amassing 231 appearances and scoring 3 goals while also collecting twenty caps for the Portuguese national side between 1953 and 1962.

The central defender collected seven Portuguese titles, five Portuguese Cups and two European Cups with Benfica.

His death means that there are now just four survivors of Bela Guttmann's great double European Cup-winning Benfica side, defenders Mário João and Fernando Cruz, as well as winger José Augusto, who played in both finals while another winger, António Simões, only played in the 1962 triumph.

Of that 1961 final, there are still three survivors from the defeated Barcelona side, defender Martí Verges (86), Brazilian forward Evaristo (87) and Luis Suárez (85).

Perhaps [un]surprisingly, many of the Real Madrid side that lost in 1962 are still alive.

Goalkeeper José Araquistáin, defenders Pedro Casado (82), José Santamaría (91) and Vicente Miera (80), midfielders Rafael Batista Hernandez, known as Felo (83) and Pachín (81) and forwards Justo Tejada (87), Luis del Sol (85) and the legendary Paco Gento (86).

The only ones from that side who have died are arguably the two biggest names, Ferenc Puskas and Alfredo Di Stefano.

https://www.slbenfica.pt/pt-pt/agora/noticias/2020/10/11/clube-benfica-nota-de-condolencias-homenagem-e-eterna-saudade-angelo-martins

• Like 1

Ebbe Skovdahl, manager of the all-conquering (at least domestically) Brondby team of the 90s, dead at 75. He had less-successful spells in charge of Benfica and Aberdeen,  and was also uncle of the Laudrup brothers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Marius Zalikuas, Lithuanian footballer who played for Heart of Midlothian (2007-13), Leeds United (2013-14), Rangers (2014-15), has reportedly died aged 36.

He died after a "long illness". I guess it was a degenerative illness, maybe ALS, as he looks pretty still in some 2019 photos. In 2018 he was alright at his wedding, so I suppose it was relatively quick and tragic.

I knew he was ill. They’ve never said what it was. I presumed cancer? 

Another "dementia in football" article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/02/dementia-football-rife-game-not-doing-enough-to-help-chris-chilton-gary-chilton

I think, there's an avalanche of football players with dementia coming (as if we couldn't have guessed by the recent news). However, if you want another name for your lists, former Hull City / Coventry City player Chris Chilton, dementia for 8 years.

On 24/12/2019 at 00:35, Banana said:

I want to make a prediction... I believe 2020 will be the year of demented footballers.

Nobby Stiles

Gerd Muller

Ernie Moss

Stan Bowles

Jimmy Millar

Jimmy Calderwood

Frank Worthington

Matt Tees

Wout Holverda

Dave Serella

I'm gonna say at least half this list doesn't make it to 2021.

Matt Tees dead.

• Like 1

On 15/02/2020 at 23:02, Octopus of Odstock said:

Dave Watson (the ex-Sunderland, Manchester City and England player - not to be confused with the ex-Everton and England player) is the latest former footballer to fall foul of a type of dementia - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51507662

Sounds in the early stages currently.

Sounds like he has got a fair bit worse, 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwiGyqrJ4PHsAhXLQhUIHdAvBUwQxfQBCDAwAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Farticle-8922807%2FDave-Watson-won-65-caps-England-let-PFA-dementia-diagnosis.html&usg=AOvVaw21UcVBA9Q-Ijd0RdxjkEzb

He was diagnosed over 6 years ago so he might not have that many years left,