Death in Vegas

Time Added

Tony Grealish

Ex Brighton captain dead at 56. He was also the uncle of the rapper Example.

• Like 1

Tony Grealish

Ex Brighton captain dead at 56. He was also the uncle of the rapper Example.

Captain of Brighton in the "...and Smith must score" final of 1983.

Anyone else notice that Chelsea scoring legend Bobby Tambling was in a wheelchair when he was at the match against Swansea?

Anyone else notice that Chelsea scoring legend Bobby Tambling was in a wheelchair when he was at the match against Swansea?

According to Wikipedia he "is currently suffering from Martorelli's ulcer, a painful leg condition and was admitted to hospital for three months in 2013. He left hospital and was able to travel from his home in Ireland to be the special guest of Chelsea at their home game against Swansea"

That's OK then, I thought it was something serious...

Former Grimsby and Southampton defender Kevin Moore has died on the day of his 55th birthday.

A brief visit among the Queen's Own Twitter shows that Sandy Jardine was too ill to make both Rangers' Division 3 trophy award and the end-of-season dinner. Looks like there could be some surrender coming up soon.

Burnley chairman Barry Kilby has announced his retirement, having recently been diagnosed with cancer.

In remission - http://www.burnleycitizen.co.uk/news/10286255.print/. Fellow OoO theme team pick Graham Hawkins is also in remission, which probably shows how much attention I pay my theme team, and how much I pay to my main team. One is top, the other is bottom.

Update on Bruno Metsu for any Francophones. "cancer de l'estomac qui l'a obligé à s'éloigner des terrains" means that his stomach cancer has spread, right? Because Google translate seems to suggest that it means his cancer has gone to a new country.

Ron Davies

The Southampton striking legend and Wales international has died on the eve of his 71st birthday.

Any news on Borgonovo's health? I see he wrote this praise of AC Milan coach Max Allegri last week so maybe not at death's door...

Mohammed Al-Khilaiwi, the 20th most capped footballer of all time and the left-back during Saudi Arabia's 1994 Cinderella run in the World Cup, dead of a heart attack at 41.

If anyone wants to update this post with the last two year's worth of death, feel free. Rene Llense is still with us though.

Spade wanted an update, so the masses have spoken, and an update we shall have. New "entries" in bold

Recent World Cup's:

2006: 1; Tchangai (Togo)

2002; 3; Lekgetho (South Africa), Matsuda (Japan), Foe (Cameroon)

1998: 6; Cargill, Malcolm (Jamaica), Cornejo (Chile), Yekini & Okafor (Nigeria), Khiliawi (Saudi Arabia)

1994; 7 Escobar and Gaviria (Colombia), Castillo (Bolivia), Foe (Cameroon), Mfede (Cameroon - also died this last week), Yekini (Nigeria), Khilawi (Saudi)

1990; 5; Klein (Romania), Escobar (Colombia), Glatzmeyer (Austria), Clijsters (Belgium), Mfede (Cameroon)

1986: 12; Cooper (Scotland), Hakim (Iraq), Bento, Damas and Antonio (Portugal), Scirea (Italy), Eriksen (Denmark), Clijsters (Belgium), Cuciuffo (Argentina), Socrates (Brazil), McDonald (N.Ireland), Smolarek (Poland)

1982: 13; Juanito (Spain), Daraselia (USSR), Drummond (Honduras), Dirceu (Brazil), Brotherston (N.Ireland), Scirea (Italy), Coeck (Belgium), Socrates (Brazil), Smolarek (Poland), Abega (Cameroon), Susloparev (USSR), Shengelia (USSR), Vojacek (Czechoslovakia)

1978; 21; Torok, Kocsis and Peicani (Hungary), Pepi (France), Toninho, Dirceu, Mendoca and Chicao (Brazil), Pezzey and Happich (Austria), R Rojas (Peru), Nejazi (Iran), Scirea (Italy), Russmann (Germany), Akid (Tunisia), Juanito and Migueli (Spain), Deyna and Mazur (Poland), Flores (Mexico), Flohe (W.Germany)

There are no survivor players of the first 3 World Cup's in the 1930's, though French squad member Rene Llense is still alive from the 1934 World Cup

• Like 1

Was Sandy Jardine in the Scotland 82/86 squads? I know he's not dead yet but...

No, a bit earlier than that, 1974 & 1978. He's the most likely candidate I'm aware of who could join the 1978 list. All of the other ill footballers are from yonder, although there's a few '74 alumni struggling.

Is this including squad players? Okafor was also in the Nigeria squad in 1994

Ah. I'm thinking of Davie Provan when recalling those Spain/Mexico squads...

Weird that Khalawi's death hasn't been reported outside of Arab press at all, what with his cap record. You'd have thought one of The Guardian's dudes would have chipped in with a blog post or something. Arabic footballers probably the least sexy out there, with the exception of Australasia.

Is this including squad players? Okafor was also in the Nigeria squad in 1994

No, because there's a Costa Rica reserve goalie from 2006 who killed himself shortly after the tournament.