Banshees Scream

UFOs, Space Aliens and the like

9 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Ah yes, I've seen that of course, but so many of the variables are completely unquantifiable so much so that whilst still being used it's subject to a lot of variation and indeed criticism. It works as a starting point, but I would't use it personally as a counter-argument to the fermi paradox :S

ETA: this one in particular 

fp = 0.2 to 0.5 (one fifth to one half of all stars formed will have planets

No exoplanets at all had been confirmed at the time Drake wrote his equation. So that number could only be described as extremely speculative, since 1988 or so that's no longer the case.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the equation is wrong, simply that it's not definitive.

"simply that it's not definitive" its not meant to be its an estimation what might give some idea

as for fermi paradox there are so many other possibilities and variables that its more of a theory than a paradox and not a good one at that 

• Like 1

Sure but an estimation is not a calculation. I do not believe that Drake's equation can be used with any degree of certainty to assume that there is only one species of intelligent life per galaxy, it could be none, it could be many more.

"estimation is not a calculation"  you can use calculations to estimate and its probably not very accurate but this and thousands of other reasons make fermi paradox not a paradox as there are so many other options

Then we'll have to agree to disagree. I believe the Fermi paradox is just that, a paradox. And to me the most obvious answer is 'there is nobody out there' because if there were, we'd know. You believe differently.

But its all speculation since not one contact has proved verifiable, which at least is not off topic for the thread.

"You believe differently" I don't believe anything,  Fermi paradox is bad science,  its main purpose is to sound exiting

If you say so. I'm done.

On 06/12/2018 at 13:19, maryportfuncity said:

What do our other readers think?

I also think the wow signal is the closest thing to evidence we have for alien life. It was probably an alien probe hence the reason they can't find it in the same area.

Forget UFOs / greys its no coincidence that UFO sightings for the most part started during WW2 and afterwards continued. German experimental  flying tech (disk like objects) and the team behind it leaving to go to the USA after the war to continue research. 

The battle of los angeles I think they first realised aliens could be used as a scapegoat. USA's war nerves got the better of them and they started firing into the sky at a weather balloon killing 5. UFO / alien hints put out afterwards to muddy the waters, divert blame and keep up morale.

The usa probably soon realised the flying saucer tech is not ideal to be manned by humans and got to the point were building robotic pilots was the only viable option.Those UFO's flying around the sky in the middle of the 20th century were probably some of the first drones.

• Like 2

Driving back home across 30 miles of I-10W swamp (Atchafalya Basin) and there were three bright white lights out at a distance, on the ground, and little excuse for them being there seeing as electricity is unlikely in the area etc.  Asked my daughter what she thought it was, of course she determined quickly it was an alien craft, seeing as we saw a wierd purply rainbow colour in the sky above the Mississippi River 15 min earlier it helped explain the whole set of events.
SC

One of the more substantial UFO cases - three witnesses, physical effects etc. - The Cash Landrum encounter from late 1980 (actually happened the day after the most widely accepted date for the Rendlesham Forest case) is the subject of the latest Skeptoid podcast. It's one of those - like the 1976 Tehran incident - that leaves the debunkers breaking sweat though Brian Dunning does give it a good mauling in the podcast.

On 06/12/2018 at 21:13, En Passant said:

'there is nobody out there' because if there were, we'd know.'

What out there? There's no such thing as "out there" because space isn't real.

airplanes_and_spaceships.png.2305bb4a9893745aeaaae37a09fc87ee.png

• Like 1

We should have invented singularity travelling now - I blame Nixon.

Drones is your third data point.

Drones aren't real. No drones, no UFOs, no aliens, nothing.

""We're all hypnotized into thinking that there's something out there... No space, no time, no gravity, no electromagnetism, no particles. Nothing...” – great physicist John Wheeler (who worked with Einstein) in his 2002 interview for the New York Times

56 minutes ago, bladan said:

Drones aren't real. No drones, no UFOs, no aliens, nothing.

""We're all hypnotized into thinking that there's something out there... No space, no time, no gravity, no electromagnetism, no particles. Nothing...” – great physicist John Wheeler (who worked with Einstein) in his 2002 interview for the New York Times

Yeah, but...

It'd be fair to say quite a few of us more skeptical UFOlogists (assuming there's even such a thing) are enjoying the mis-match between what was believed when Gatwick was closed and what is now believed about the amount of drone activity. The whole furore might be a useful insight into the way a little evidence can make a lot of story and - therefore - an insight into the way people report vivid UFO events that others nearby don't even notice.

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Yeah, but...

It'd be fair to say quite a few of us more skeptical UFOlogists (assuming there's even such a thing) are enjoying the mis-match between what was believed when Gatwick was closed and what is now believed about the amount of drone activity. The whole furore might be a useful insight into the way a little evidence can make a lot of story and - therefore - an insight into the way people report vivid UFO events that others nearby don't even notice.

No space, no time, no particles, no Gatwick. UFOs don't exist because nothing exists. This solves the Fermi paradox too.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 06:19, charon said:

airplanes_and_spaceships.png.2305bb4a9893745aeaaae37a09fc87ee.png

The first commercial airliner, the Farman Goliath, flew in 1919, just over 15 years after the technology was developed. 57 years, 7 months after the first spaceflight as you say, Branson and Musk are still trying to make little baby steps towards commercial spaceliners. Not that I want to go up in one anyway.

A few years ago I saw an UFO, probably one of those TR-3B Black Triangles because it had no wings. It was absolutely huge and had one blinking red light. It was flying low and I could hear the sound of nuclear engines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-3_Black_Manta

2 hours ago, bladan said:

A few years ago I saw an UFO, probably one of those TR-3B Black Triangles because it had no wings. It was absolutely huge and had one blinking red light. It was flying low and I could hear the sound of nuclear engines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-3_Black_Manta

It's hardly a UFO if you identified what it was. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

It's hardly a UFO if you identified what it was. 

Yes - I should have posted in the Aerospace and Astronomy.thread

6 minutes ago, bladan said:

Yes - I should have posted in the Aerospace and Astronomy.thread

Unless you have 12 megapixel close up photo's please don't. :rolleyes:

Discussion of some UFO cases in South Australia, including the Knowles family encounter. There is a Youtube video at the bottom of the page featuring an interview with the Knowles clan by DeathList favourite Derryn Hinch. Thoughts, @maryportfuncity ? :sherlock:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-23/curious-adelaide-ufo-sightings-across-australia/9466950

1 hour ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Discussion of some UFO cases in South Australia, including the Knowles family encounter. There is a Youtube video at the bottom of the page featuring an interview with the Knowles clan by DeathList favourite Derryn Hinch. Thoughts, @maryportfuncity ? :sherlock:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-23/curious-adelaide-ufo-sightings-across-australia/9466950

One of the strangest UFO cases ever - though there are a few truly strange but non-paranormal explanations doing the rounds including them being unwitting victims of a paramilitary attack: https://steemit.com/ufo/@williambuckley/knowles-family-ufo-mystery-solved

A scientific explanation grounded in some observable phenomena suggests potentially the local "min min" light; which would mean a lot of the other things observed were down to some mass hysteria in the car: http://users.adam.com.au/bstett/PaMinMinSolved97.htm

• Like 1

10 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

One of the strangest UFO cases ever - though there are a few truly strange but non-paranormal explanations doing the rounds including them being unwitting victims of a paramilitary attack: https://steemit.com/ufo/@williambuckley/knowles-family-ufo-mystery-solved

A scientific explanation grounded in some observable phenomena suggests potentially the local "min min" light; which would mean a lot of the other things observed were down to some mass hysteria in the car: http://users.adam.com.au/bstett/PaMinMinSolved97.htm

Cool, thanks! I remember all the media circus around the Knowles case when I was a kid and it really intrigued me at the time.

I have always wanted to see the Min Min phenomena - might have to drive out into one of the areas where it is spotted one of these days. BTW, my father observed ball lightning a few times when he was young.

• Like 1