DevonDeathTrip

Edward Kennedy/Curse of the Kennedys

Sorry to drift off topic, but here's what was on offer at the inauguration lunch:

Starter - Stew of sea scallops, shrimp, lobster and black cod in a cream sauce, baked in a terrine covered with a puff pastry.

Main Course - Winter veg medley of asparagus, carrots, brussels sprouts and wax beans served with duck and pheasant

Dessert - Cinnamon apple sponge cake.

I'm not sure about the starter, unless it was cooked properly, 230 of America's great and good could be stricken with awful food poisoning.

humm.. I'm starting to wonder the same thing!

• Like 1

Sorry to drift off topic, but here's what was on offer at the inauguration lunch:

Starter - Stew of sea scallops, shrimp, lobster and black cod in a cream sauce, baked in a terrine covered with a puff pastry.

Main Course - Winter veg medley of asparagus, carrots, brussels sprouts and wax beans served with duck and pheasant

I'm not sure about the starter, unless it was cooked properly, 230 of America's great and good could be stricken with awful food poisoning.

Seafood always dodgy. I blame the Chappaquiddick scallops.

Senator Robert Bryd has also been removed from the lunch due to health reasons.

So Byrd & Kennedy down.. who else was at this function & more importantly, which DDP player works at the catering company providing the luncheon? :pop:

They both now regret exclaiming in the sixties "Black president? Over my dead body"

• Like 1

Senator Robert Bryd is relatively well and ok according to the bbc. Not sure about Ted. Now we know why GW Bush left very quickly...

Senator Robert Bryd is relatively well and ok according to the bbc. Not sure about Ted. Now we know why GW Bush left very quickly...

Ted apparantly suffered convulsions, so who knows

Byrd was taken out as he was upset by what was happening with Ted

The French went into the menu in a little detail, as the French are wont to do, apparently it is based on Abraham Lincoln's tastes. He adored apples. Oh and the Merlot and Sauvignon is not French, forcement.

Kennedy has had a "massive and long-lasting seizure".

The French went into the menu in a little detail, as the French are wont to do, apparently it is based on Abraham Lincoln's tastes. He adored apples. Oh and the Merlot and Sauvignon is not French, forcement.

What are wax beans? It is a different American name for a something like a runner bean, or are they something we don't eat at all over here?

Sorry to wander even further off topic.

Ted apparantly suffered convulsions, so who knows

Byrd was taken out as he was upset by what was happening with Ted

Sen. Robert C. Byrd's office says the 91-year West Virginian decided to leave an inauguration luncheon after Sen. Edward M. Kennedy was stricken, but not because of any medical problem of his own.

Spokesman Mark Ferrell said that Byrd was sitting at the Capitol luncheon with Sen. Kennedy when the Massachusetts senator took sick.

Ferrell said, "Sen. Byrd did not have a medical issue - he is just fine."

Ferrell added: "Sen. Byrd made the decision to leave the luncheon once Sen. Kennedy was being taken from the room by medical personnel. Sen. Byrd is currently in his own office in the Senate Hart Building and is doing fine, though remains very concerned about his close friend Ted Kennedy."

Kennedy's son Ted Jr. just reported from hospital, that his father is awake, alert, and "will be just fine, just not in the place he would like to be today."

What are wax beans?

A variety of string bean having yellow pods. Also called butter bean

Kennedy's son Ted Jr. just reported from hospital, that his father is awake, alert, and "will be just fine, just not in the place he would like to be today."

Well if it's a choice between a swanky luncheon and hospital I know what place I'd like to be at

Even if is okay, I can't imagine that this bodes well for the long term. :pop:

I heard on the radio news this morning that Ted Kennedy got carted off in an ambulance from one of Obama's congratulatory dinners after being sworn in.

Actually I was expecting Castro to die first ...

um....he ain't croaked yet......

Did Teddy and Byrd leave before dessert? If so, could I have theirs?

What are wax beans?

A variety of string bean having yellow pods. Also called butter bean

Just the sight of wax beans makes me ill. I prefer regular green beans especially fresh with the healthy snap sound they make when broken in half. Mmm.... I'm salivating just thinking of green beans.

Well if it's a choice between a swanky luncheon and hospital I know what place I'd like to be at

Yeah I know what you meann.. Nothing is better than a nice lukewarm tray of hospital food (except for their Friday fish which is riddled with bones.....hmmm....fish is deadly, too bad Teddy didn't know that.

I heard on the radio news this morning that Ted Kennedy got carted off in an ambulance from one of Obama's congratulatory dinners after being sworn in.
Yes that is what AP has said as well.

Kennedy awake and being evaluated at hospital

by Associated Press

Tuesday January 20, 2009, 3:46 PM

Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass., battling a brain tumor, became ill at a post-inauguration luncheon for President Barack Obama on Tuesday and was taken by ambulance to a hospital.

Sen. Kennedy is awake and being evaluated at Washington Hospital Center.

"It looked like a seizure," said Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, who said he was with Kennedy until they reached the ambulance.

Sen. Chris Dodd, D-Conn., said Kennedy said, "I'll be ok, I'll see you later" as he was put into the ambulance.

"The good news is he's gonna be fine," Dodd added.

Kennedy, 76, had appeared in good health and spirits hours earlier when he stepped out of the Capitol and onto the inauguration platform where Obama took the oath of office.

Sen. Robert C. Byrd, 91, also left the luncheon early, but his office and others said his health was not the reason.

Byrd "is currently in his own office...and is doing fine, though he remains very concerned about his close friend, Ted Kennedy," said Mark Ferrell, a spokesman for the West Virginia Democrat.

Kennedy has suffered seizures since he was stricken and had surgery for his tumor last year, but it was not known what caused him to fall ill at the early afternoon lunch.

Former Vice President Walter F. Mondale said Kennedy was swapping stories with others at their table when "something happened. I don't know what it was, he just stopped."

"It was really kind of a shock to us all," he added.

Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-W., Va., told reporters the president rushed over to Kennedy's side.

"There was a call for silence throughout the room," he said. "The president went over immediately. The lights went down, just to reduce the heat, I think."

In his remarks, Obama said his prayers were with the stricken senator, his family and wife, Vicki.

"He was there when the Voting Rights Act passed, along with John Lewis who was a warrior for justice.

"And so I would be lying to you if I did not say that right now a part of me is with him. And I think that's true for all of us," Obama said.

Ah, I've heard of butter beans, what a strange thing to serve at a posh dinner. I have childhood memories of butter beans in soups, made when times were hard. If David Cameron ever becomes Prime Minister, he'll probably try and go one better by offering manglewurzel al dente as a main course.

Ah, I've heard of butter beans, what a strange thing to serve at a posh dinner. I have childhood memories of butter beans in soups, made when times were hard. If David Cameron ever becomes Prime Minister, he'll probably try and go one better by offering manglewurzel al dente as a main course.

Nah, it'll be Roast Ox stuffed with geese with the other Bullingdon Boys...

Inauguration dinner just before the puddings.

The new president is welcomed by Washington's elite.

That inauguration ceremony in full.

I'm wondering how many DL (or for that matter DDP) candidates were at the dinner, and whether there has ever been an occasion where so many have been in one place at one time. Looking down the list - Kennedy, Reagan, Ford, Graham?

On second thoughts a big state funeral might be more promising in that regard (unless they'd be too ill to attend).

Turns out Ted was just feeling a bit tired. If that's how he reacts to feeling tired, then it must be quite a pantomime just before he goes to bed every night.

I would be lying if I said right now a part of me is not with him.

What a tortuously constructed way to express his concern.

In fact, I think he wouldn't have been lying, as I seriously doubt that any of Barack's bits were actually with Ted.

• Like 1