DevonDeathTrip

Edward Kennedy/Curse of the Kennedys

Well done TH. I just noted 10 minutes ago now from CNN but did not have my computer switched on - drat - still more points for me - I need to revise a few things around the top of my spreed-sheet.

Giants aways fall with a noise.

Ted Kennedy is dead, this is huge. He might even trump Michael Jackson's death, the death of every Kennedy brother since JFK has been huge, RFK was probably surpassed by MLK Jr.'s death for 1968 though. At the very least Ted Kennedy's is a close #2 for sure. The summer of death began with a bang (Michael Jackson and others) and ends with a bang (Ted Kennedy) and depending on what your personal definition of the end of summer is it is still not over. Maybe 2009 is one of those years not just known for one big death but several, but I never recall a summer where so many prominent people have died, usually more die around the holiday season. This is also the second Kennedy death in August! Eunice Kennedy Shriver died just two weeks ago on August 11th!

I never recall a summer where so many prominent people have died

The summer of 2003 was pretty impressive. The bigger names who died between the 21st of June and 21st of September that year included: Leon Uris, Lester Maddox, Denis Thatcher, Strom Thurmond, Katharine Hepburn, Buddy Hackett, Barry White, Buddy Ebsen, Carol Shields, Bob Hope, Sam Phillips, Gregory Hines, Idi Amin, Charles Bronson, Warren Zevon, Leni Riefenstahl, Edward Teller, John Ritter, Johnny Cash & Sheb Wooley. I think 2009's got a way to go yet to match that list.

Guest Reg

There's people on te pitch ...they think it's all over ... it is now!

Yesterday the Ashes and today .... Ted's ashes.

Damn! I originally had three Kennedys on my provisional DDP top 20 for this year, and look which one I chose to leave out!

It'll be all Ted Kennedy all the time for the next few days.

Woke up to this news this morning and from the way the BBC reporter was going on you'd have thought the Queen had died.

Just a quick comment on the site, is this the fourth death that will be marked as 'details to follow'? I appreciate people are busy, might be ill etc but it is getting frustrating now.

If Kennedy is the 7th hit of the year (according to the home page) does that mean that Novak's not really dead? Or not important enough?

Ah well - thats two Kennedy's I've got in a month. Lets hope Ted's ex-wife takes the news hard and hits the bottle again.

PS. Isn't he the 8th death?

Incidently - having updated the files I lost when my hard drive died...

Ted Kennedy is the 8th success of 2009.

He is the 182nd death since 1987.

The 2009 list is now in 14th place shared with 1998 out of a possible 23 lists.

Does this make him the only one of Joe and Rosie's boys to die in his sleep? One out of four ain't bad I suppose.

Next to MJ, probably the biggest loss this year (along w/ Walter Cronkite).

Ted Kennedy was a force to reckon w/ in US politics. For 40 plus years, Ted Kennedy was a staple in the United States senate and politics in general. Presidents come and go, but Ted served our country (the US) through approximately 10 presidencies from JFK to Barack Obama.

Government politics won't be the same w/o Ted Kennedy. He's left a huge void that will be impossible to fill.

Thank you for your 40 plus years of public service, Ted. Although you've experienced some dark moments in your life which you have never quite been able to live down, you're a powerful example of redemption. It is your strength, your integrity, and your leadership that has kept the US Senate strong.

Thank you for your 40 plus years of public service, Ted. Although you've experienced some dark moments in your life which you have never quite been able to live down, you're a powerful example of redemption. It is your strength, your integrity, and your leadership that has kept the US Senate strong.

He can't hear you.

He's dead, you great tit.

Government politics won't be the same w/o Ted Kennedy. He's left a huge void that will be impossible to fill.

Completely irreplaceable, until the next Senator for Massachusetts replaces him.

Completely irreplaceable, until the next Senator for Massachusetts replaces him.

Which Kennedy do you think will fill his shoes?

They were fighting over the seat before he died.

I think they should pick Sarah Kennedy.

Nah, it's still Jane Goony, all the rest didn't manage to milk it for long enough. Although the Jackson family are posthumously making up for that.

Oh and as Windy said, motion seconded.

Ted Kennedy was a force to reckon w/ in US politics. For 40 plus years, Ted Kennedy was a staple in the United States senate and politics in general. Presidents come and go, but Ted served our country (the US) through approximately 10 presidencies from JFK to Barack Obama.

I think they should pick Sarah Kennedy.

How about Ray Kennedy?

You forgot to thank him for supporting funding of the IRA and blowing up all those nasty English people over the last 30 years.

I don't think he'll be even in the top 5 significant deaths come year end.

I vote for Alan Kennedy (colleague of Ray).

You forgot to thank him for supporting funding of the IRA and blowing up all those nasty English people over the last 30 years.

Or what about Gordon Kennedy? His work on the National Lottery show all those years ago was just inspirational.

Or what about Gordon Kennedy? His work on the National Lottery show all those years ago was just inspirational.

No, depending on your age, Dr. Karl Kennedy or one of his sons Mal or Billy.

21402_8b1a9c5f-494b-4567-b59a-268b39ccbf2b.jpeg

kennedy-malcolm.jpg

dr_house_20.jpg