Godot

Art For Death's Sake

Grace Hartigan, abstract expressionist and a drinking buddy of Pollock, Rothko and the de Koonings, has died. Rolf Harris has yet to comment on the sad news.

Apparently, she once said...

I don't mind being miserable as long as I'm painting well.
  • Like 1

I see the Turner prize panel excelled themselves again.

I'm a bit late on this...2008 wasn't a great year. Anyway my gf and I, both fans of modern art and me a member of the Tate, popped in to the Turner Prize exhibition after seeing the Francis Bacon one (various pictures of ugly meat). At the end, there was a room with two large tables strewn with daubed paper - evidently it was a room where you could record your opinions of the exhibition. Both of us independently thought it was one of the entries. In my opinion, it should have won.

In case you think I'm pandering to the populist vote, I went to the Cy Twombly exhibition three times - loved it and even bought the t-shirt.

I'm a bit late on this...2008 wasn't a great year. Anyway my gf and I, both fans of modern art and me a member of the Tate, popped in to the Turner Prize exhibition after seeing the Francis Bacon one (various pictures of ugly meat). At the end, there was a room with two large tables strewn with daubed paper - evidently it was a room where you could record your opinions of the exhibition. Both of us independently thought it was one of the entries. In my opinion, it should have won.

In case you think I'm pandering to the populist vote, I went to the Cy Twombly exhibition three times - loved it and even bought the t-shirt.

Did they have any of these?

rolfharrist-shirt-onthe6thday.._1_106900_white_l.jpg

How tragic, though not for DDPers "A Lost Art", "Circling The Drain", "Keeper Of The Heads" and "Moldy Oldies"!

In this week's Sculpture News...

If you see a 50m-high white horse on the north Kent plains in the next year or so, don't worry, it's not the drugs.

A horse for our kingdom? I predict that chavs will do something horrible to the giant stallion, or someone will fall off it and die.

This ear business sounds like a lot of bollocks to me. A whole book on who cut it off? It beggars belief.

Well I've been looking all day but have yet to see LFN doing his bit for contemporary art with a stint on the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square. An opportunity lost? Surely not. I'll be watching.

More on the plinthers.

Well I've been looking all day but have yet to see LFN doing his bit for contemporary art with a stint on the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square. An opportunity lost? Surely not. I'll be watching.

More on the plinthers.

I saw this shinanigins on the early evening news tonight.

The usual "arty farty" explainations came trotting out, Mr Gormley going as far as to say "it will be like opening up a Pandora's box of ideas".

I think thats overstating it a bit.

The usual day release patients, wannabies and Britains got talent rejects will be spending their hour hogging the limelight with little talent but much crappola.

Im quite looking forward to reading about the poor deluded sap who gets the 3am slot being found, still in his Batman

costume ( originality is sooo important ) head shoved tightly up his own arse, sticking out of a bin outside Mr Slimeballs bookshop in Wardour St......or summat.

I think, dear Godot, I lack the knackers, the will and the sheer enthusiasm to have a bash.

Calling Banshees Scream, your moment has come!

More on the plinthers.

The usual "arty farty" explainations came trotting out, Mr Gormley going as far as to say "it will be like opening up a Pandora's box of ideas".

The usual day release patients, wannabies and Britains got talent rejects will be spending their hour hogging the limelight with little talent but much crappola.

Im quite looking forward to reading about the poor deluded sap who gets the 3am slot being found, still in his Batman

costume ( originality is sooo important ) head shoved tightly up his own arse, sticking out of a bin outside Mr Slimeballs bookshop in Wardour St......or summat.

I think, dear Godot, I lack the knackers, the will and the sheer enthusiasm to have a bash.

Perhaps that is the late friday night slot, Pandora opening her box.

As an aside, I spent a rather eventful night on Nelson's column having missed the last train "home" to um Reading it was at the time, all is fun in the folly of our youth, or summat. If I'd known ten years ago there was a fourth plinth then maybe I could have stolen his thunder, though quite frankly knowing to keep an eye on the time and a check on the imbibement level might have been more useful. Oh well, at least I now know how to spot a mountain dwelling Mexican.

More on the plinthers.

Perhaps that is the late friday night slot, Pandora opening her box.

As an aside, I spent a rather eventful night on Nelson's column having missed the last train "home" to um Reading it was at the time, all is fun in the folly of our youth, or summat. If I'd known ten years ago there was a fourth plinth then maybe I could have stolen his thunder, though quite frankly knowing to keep an eye on the time and a check on the imbibement level might have been more useful. Oh well, at least I now know how to spot a mountain dwelling Mexican.

Lucky old Nelson!!

Boom, Boom!!

Sorry, couldnt resist that one. :)

More on the plinthers.

There's a bloke dressed as a fish (trout, possibly) up there at the moment, reading some important-looking missive to the masses below. Which is nice.

The safety net is a wise option.

More on the plinthers.

There's a bloke dressed as a fish (trout, possibly) up there at the moment, reading some important-looking missive to the masses below. Which is nice.

The safety net is a wise option.

I'm trying to decide what is more pointless - the Plinthtan men (and women), or a series of Big Brother. Maybe if someone was doing something worthwhile, like juggling or football keepy-uppies for an hour, I'd be impressed. Currently there's some loonie with a bunch of signs shouting enthusiastically at people to take a picture. Classic attention whore behaviour. "Look at me, London/world, aren't I special?"

Maybe we should have "any one Plinther" as a DL nominee for the few weeks this colossal waste of everyone's time drags on.

It looks like the 50 per cent tax rate is working at last. Take up your bed and piss off. You'll not be missed.

Another fraudulent one-trick-pony tosser. Spencer Tunick had one idea and has been milking it ever since. Deserves to go in to the 101 gallery.

It looks like the 50 per cent tax rate is working at last. Take up your bed and piss off. You'll not be missed.

Now THAT is quality posting!! <_<

If she thinks moving to France will ease her tax burden, she may be in for a bit of a surprise. This health service costs you know.

Jeanne-Claude, who collaborated with her husband Christo in producing many works of massive scale art, has died of a brain aneurysm. :smiley_f:

06_surrounded_islands4.jpg

Also, English artist John Craxton has daubed his last surreal splattering. His work was described thus:

Cubism, Byzantine art, El Greco and the Greek painter Ghika as well as 19th-century Romantic landscape artists. .... He heartily disliked the label Neo-Romantic painter, which was often applied to him, and the farthest he himself would go in analysis of his art was to admit that he was a kind of Arcadian,a linear painterwho subscribes to that peculiar northern predilection for investing a visual language with some quality of mystery and enigma.

(I like the way an artist's speciality is often explained, the words are almost as bollocksy as how a wine critic describes a glass of sour fermented grape juice)

GMA%201257.jpg

Radio Four this morning mentioned the continued hold on active life enjoyed by 93 year old Leonora Carrington. 'Last living surrealist,' or summat.

Louise Bourgeious, she of the hair and the spiders...also the first female artist to have a solo retrospective at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
  • Like 1