Godot

Art For Death's Sake

Art critic Tom Lubbock writes about his degenerative brain tumor...

Dead.

That's DDP hit number 7...

2 hits in 10 days for my unofficial Shadow list. A bit new to this sort of thing, but that's a promising start.

Art critic Tom Lubbock writes about his degenerative brain tumor...

Dead.

Garn 2,. I've had a look at your DDP list and I think you might well be one of the favourites to win the competition this year. I'd put £10 on you at, say, 3-1. :burnash:

A few ageing artists I've at least heard of to add to the pot:

Cy Twombly, 80. (Twimbledon Common resident, would get an obit on sillynames.com)

I'm sorry if this is boring to most DLers, but I'd like to point out that Twombly has an exhibition at Tate Modern and that I consider him one of the premier C20th artists. Of course, he won't get Rolf-like column inches and he may not die for years, but the Deathlist is a broad church, I'd hope.

(Hmmm, I'd had a few drinks when I wrote that. I do rate his work, but maybe 'one of the premier C20th artists' is a bit OTT)

I'm sad to report that Cy Twombly has died, aged 83 :deathban: .

His work provoked a bit of a debate earlier in this thread. The now departed Lord Fellatio Nelson inexplicably struggled to get his head around what Twombly's tortured genius had to offer....

cy-twombly-1_1291031c.jpg

A few ageing artists I've at least heard of to add to the pot:

Cy Twombly, 80. (Twimbledon Common resident, would get an obit on sillynames.com)

I'm sorry if this is boring to most DLers, but I'd like to point out that Twombly has an exhibition at Tate Modern and that I consider him one of the premier C20th artists. Of course, he won't get Rolf-like column inches and he may not die for years, but the Deathlist is a broad church, I'd hope.

(Hmmm, I'd had a few drinks when I wrote that. I do rate his work, but maybe 'one of the premier C20th artists' is a bit OTT)

I'm sad to report that Cy Twombly has died, aged 83 :deathban: .

His work provoked a bit of a debate earlier in this thread. The now departed Lord Fellatio Nelson inexplicably struggled to get his head around what Twombly's tortured genius had to offer....

cy-twombly-1_1291031c.jpg

death of a legend..a true giant in his field.I'm amazed he wasnt on the list..

ps to prove what a massive loss this is to the world here is a BBC obit

I think Twombly may have ignored LFN's contribution to the greater good of society, which might be where LFN's indifference to CT's scribbles started.

Do we know for a fact that LFN has departed us? Kinda sad if he has.

That's a matter of opinion.

I think Twombly may have ignored LFN's contribution to the greater good of society, which might be where LFN's indifference to CT's scribbles started.

What? Do you mean no longer posting or do you mean that more permanent departure that happens to be the subject that ties this place together? I suspect the former, having become bored out of his brain by the daily drivel. He's not the only one. Will Rolf Harris get a mention here when he goes? What is Rolf Harris?

That's a matter of opinion.

Leave it, the man bought me beer and proved a most convivial companion.

What? Do you mean no longer posting or do you mean that more permanent departure that happens to be the subject that ties this place together? I suspect the former, having become bored out of his brain by the daily drivel. He's not the only one. Will Rolf Harris get a mention here when he goes? What is Rolf Harris?

Getting bored? Bring on the clowns...

ringling-brothers-clowns.jpg

:deathban:

Person with famous surname and downright miserable bugger when he used to ring the PA, Lucian Freud's paint has run dry.

Person with famous surname and downright miserable bugger when he used to ring the PA, Lucien Freud's paint has run dry. Bit odd that the NY Times can't spell his name right mind you, so possibly worth watching for a better and more accurate obit.

Of course he was a miserable bugger.

He was supposed to be an artist but couldn't paint to save his life...

Person with famous surname and downright miserable bugger when he used to ring the PA, Lucien Freud's paint has run dry. Bit odd that the NY Times can't spell his name right mind you, so possibly worth watching for a better and more accurate obit.

Of course he was a miserable bugger.

He was supposed to be an artist but couldn't paint to save his life...

here it is . a sad day for British art

his depiction of a nude Anne Widecombe was particularly enthralling

and who can forget his uncannily lifelike portrait of Her Majesty

Apparently his name was spelt Lucian rather than Lucien, which I always thought it was spelt. That probably explains why he was a miserable bugger when he used to ring ex-work...