Godot

Art For Death's Sake

There are three very famous elderly Austrian painters: 

Arik Brauer (1929)

Arnulf Rainer (1929)

Hermann Nitsch, the one with the animal sacrifices. (1938)

They have english Wikipedia entries, but I never saw their names on this forum & now I wonder if they are known outside of Austria. Will they get an obituary in a British newspaper? 

Rainer and Nitsch have both exhibited at the Tate so they'll QO no issue.

• Like 1

Performance artist Ulay (otherwise known as Frank Uwe Laysiepen (or maybe even Olay in his latter years)) has died aged 76.

I admit to being ignorant of his work (and very exisence) but reading his obit, his 'performances' strike me as a least a little bit bizarre.

• Like 2

Alan Turner, who drew on Surrealism, Abstract Expressionism and more in acclaimed paintings and drawings that could be humorous, disturbing or poignant, died on Feb. 8 at his loft in Lower Manhattan. He was 76.

The poet Lee Briccetti, his partner of almost 20 years, said the cause was progressive supranuclear palsy, a degenerative brain disorder. He had been in home hospice care for some years.

American realist and Color Field painter Wolf Kahn best known for his oil paint and pastel landscapes, dead at 92 years:

https://vtdigger.org/2020/03/16/vermont-artist-wolf-kahn-dies-at-age-92/

His prestigious awards included a Guggenheim fellowship and an Award in Art from the American Academy of Arts and Letters.

• Like 1

Glenna Goodacre, a noted sculptor whose creations included the Vietnam Women’s Memorial and the Sacagawea dollar coin, has died.  She was 80. Goodacre was also the mother of actress Jill Goodacre and the mother-in-law of musician Harry Connick Jr.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1443853/santa-fe-sculptor-glenna-goodacre-dies.html

19 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Bonkers japanese artist Yayoi Kusama, 91, sends a poetic message to the virus:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/apr/15/yayoi-kusamas-message-to-covid-19-disappear-from-this-earth

She would make a very unlikely centenarian.

We've seen centenarians like Mad Mike Hoare and Lawrence Ferlinghetti. That wouldn't be much stranger...

Critically acclaimed  and much honoured american painter  and sculptor Jasper Johns celebrates the milestone birthday of 90 today. 

:birthday:

Many Happy returns!

• Like 3

On 09/01/2018 at 12:00, ThePrematureBurial said:

A couple of famous artists who are still alive:

Carmen Herrera 1915

Gerhard Richter 1932

Arik Brauer 1929

Christo 1935

David Hockney 1937

There are also some younger artists who, I think, are exposed to considerable risks, since it became known that they were among Tony Podesta's favorite artists:

Marina Abramovic 1946 does just the usual satanist stuff, like spraying blood & other bodily fluids. The following painters/photographers however, have created some eye-catching artworks:

Patricia Piccinini 1965

Sam Taylor-Wood 1967

Anna Gaskell 1969

Margi Geerlinks 1970

Biljana Djurdjevic 1973

Two things may happen:

1.They may attract the attention of some weirdo obsessed by "Pizzagate".

2. The DOJ suddenly becomes adventurous & starts to investigate the Podestas & their ties to the Clintons. And we know that bad things happened to people with insider knowledge about  the Clintons...

Christo now dead

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, adrian0719 said:

Christo now dead

Meh, I had forgotten to post that he needed a cannula for breathing at the opening of a Berlin exhibition just last month.

https://www.berlin.de/ausstellungen/nachrichten/6161991-3041403-ausstellung-zu-projekten-von-christo-und.html

Then I knew his days were very limited, but this was much faster than I expected. Here is his Interview, just three weeks old!

• Like 2

Oh, not Christo.  That is a loss.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Oh, not Christo.  That is a loss.

ScreenHunter_83 Jun. 01 01.48.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Terry Quirk, artist who designed The Zombies album covers, reportedly dead

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, time said:

Terry Quirk, artist who designed The Zombies album covers, reportedly dead

Poor guy probably spent a lifetime being teased for his inability to spell Odyssey correctly. Rest in piece 

Jeanne Rynhart, Irish sculptor whose most famous work is probably the 'Molly Malone' statue outside the Dublin tourist office, has died aged 74.

She's also known for the Annie Moore statues, depicting the first immigrant to be processed at Ellis Island

See the source image

• Like 1

Illustrator Viktor Chizhikov has died aged 84. He was predominantly a children's book illustrator, but is best known for creating Misha, the mascot of the 1980 Summer Olympic Games.

See the source image

• Like 2