Godot

Art For Death's Sake

Forrest Fenn, an art dealer, who gained fame after hiding a treasure chest filled with gold, jewels and other valuables that drove hundreds of thousands of people to search remote corners of the U.S. West, has died. He was 90. 

https://helenair.com/outdoors/art-dealer-whose-treasure-sent-hunters-scouring-us-west-dies/article_8242ebe4-6bc5-5fa1-adc5-25ac2fcfde86.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_helenaironline

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Forrest Fenn, an art dealer, who gained fame after hiding a treasure chest filled with gold, jewels and other valuables that drove hundreds of thousands of people to search remote corners of the U.S. West, has died. He was 90. 

https://helenair.com/outdoors/art-dealer-whose-treasure-sent-hunters-scouring-us-west-dies/article_8242ebe4-6bc5-5fa1-adc5-25ac2fcfde86.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_helenaironline

There was some reference to him being in poor health earlier this year when he claimed the treasure had been "found", right?

7 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

There was some reference to him being in poor health earlier this year when he claimed the treasure had been "found", right?

Appears to be. I know he was included in one of the deadpools and someone made reference to the fact he could now 'die in peace'.

• Like 1

Death notice for German-born British sculptor Jacqueline Diffring (wiki), aged 100.

jacqueline-diffring-af5ee207-237b-4be8-9637-f3ddbec7995-resize-750.jpeg.675eca8aa59ace036f6e75dfe4553e0d.jpeg

Also the sister of Anton Diffring (wiki, 1916–1989), a familiar face in British film and television.

220px-Anton_Diffring.gif.9269c9a57bf5f63e1e277a7f0bdc31e0.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Movie poster artist Paul Crifo dead aged 98. Solely responsible for such film posters as Monty Python & The Holy Grail, The Great Gatsby (1974), Play it Again Sam & The Producers. He also collaborated on dozens more, included uncredited work on several Bond film posters.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Tracy Emin is in remission after she recently “had fucking cancer, and half [her] body chopped out”.

• Like 1

Sandy Dvore (IMDb), Emmy award winning graphic designer who designed the opening sequences for shows including The WaltonsThe Partridge Family and The Young and The Restlesshas died age 86.

• Like 1

Long Lister of mine I decided not to pick for this year.

Victor Ambrus, Hungarian born illustrator who illustrated many children's books - especially KM Peyton's books such as Flambards - has reportedly died:

More generally known as the illustrator on Channel 4's Time Team, where he visualised how places would have looked back at the time of the archaeology they were uncovering.

RIP and much respect.

Edit: Here's Victor at a Production meeting for Time Team regarding illustrations (essentially mostly being talked over, ha!):

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Long Lister of mine I decided not to pick for this year.

Victor Ambrus, Hungarian born illustrator who illustrated many children's books - especially KM Peyton's books such as Flambards - has reportedly died:

More generally known as the illustrator on Channel 4's Time Team, where he visualised how places would have looked back at the time of the archaeology they were uncovering.

RIP and much respect.

Edit: Here's Victor at a Production meeting for Time Team regarding illustrations (essentially mostly being talked over, ha!):

Welcome back YW. Hope all is well your end.

Arturo di Modica, the Italian scuptor of the Wall Street "Charging Bull" (amongst other works), has died aged 80.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, time said:

Arturo di Modica, the Italian scuptor of the Wall Street "Charging Bull" (amongst other works), has died aged 80.

one begets the other 

fearless.jpg

3 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

one begets the other 

fearless.jpg

Isn't the sculptor of that piece, Kristen Visbel, still very much alive?

1 minute ago, time said:

Isn't the sculptor of that piece, Kristen Visbel, still very much alive?

Yes. That was not my point. I am of an age that both sculptures are synonymous. For others maybe no. For me yes. You mention the bull statue in New Yorks' financial district I also think of this. That is all. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

Yes. That was not my point. I am of an age that both sculptures are synonymous. For others maybe no. For me yes. You mention the bull statue in New Yorks' financial district I also think of this. That is all. 

Ah, OK, I misunderstood; thought you were either suggesting that was also di Modica's work, or Visbel had also died.

When I see the chaging bull sculpture, I'm reminded of this one...

800px-Bull_Ring_Center_Bull.jpg

(eta: This is "The Guardian", situated outside Birmingham's Bullring shopping centre).

Edited by time
  • Like 2

And this one, where I went to get my jab the other day.

BronzeOx_Kassam.JPG

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, time said:

Ah, OK, I misunderstood; thought you were either suggesting that was also di Modica's work, or Visbel had also died.

When I see the chaging bull sculpture, I'm reminded of this one...

800px-Bull_Ring_Center_Bull.jpg

(eta: This is "The Guardian", situated outside Birmingham's Bullring shopping centre).

Incidentally, the sculptor of this work, Laurence Broderick is now in his mid-80s and would most likely (imho) get a qualifying obituary for most deadpools. No idea about his state of health mind.

30 minutes ago, Toast said:

And this one, where I went to get my jab the other day.

BronzeOx_Kassam.JPG

18 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

That looks like a lot of fuss - can't they just use a hypodermic needle stick it in your arm like everywhere else?

FTFY

Alexander Klee, grandson of Paul and a founder of Zentrum Paul Klee has died aged 80. He was also an artist in his own right, using the pseudonym Aljoscha Ségard

• Like 1