2008      Stephan Martiniere (b.1962)

2010      Shaun Tan (b.1973)

2012      John Picacio (b.1969)

2014      Julie Dillon (b.1982)

2016      Abigail Larson (b.1988)

2018      Sana Takeda (b.1977)

2019      Charles Vess (b.1951)

2021      Rovina Cai (b.1988)

The reason there are big gaps is that Michael Whelan won it 13 times between 1980 and 2002. All post 1977 winners are surviving.

• Like 1

Several tweets reporting the death of American abstract expressionist artist Harold Garde (wiki), aged 99.

Was still working as recently as July.

• Like 4

San Francisco artist Fred Martin (wiki) dead at 94 or 95 according to the China Academy of Art on Twitter:

• Like 3

Not dead, but Vojo Stanić, ancient painter of Montenegro will be 99 in a few months and seems quite frail, needs help holding a knife in this picture from February. Also smokes cigars daily. Known for his paintings with cafes, coasts, homes, streets  etc with some surreal details in them. 

vojo.thumb.jpg.9acebd368c5fdeb8f024153af17f1c5a.jpg

No idea how famous he is but he's had an English Wikipedia page since 2005 and is one of the most famous Montenegrin painters ever. Some quotes:

I'm not in a hurry to the other world, and especially not to heaven, because in hell, probably, everything that is forbidden happens. So all my friends are waiting for me there.

I love life and I'm sorry that I'm going to die. If it ever happens to me, and it looks like it will.

large.jpg.baa3bd6e1f4eb249b129bbcb03847213.jpg

Sergey Anufriev, Honoured Artist, Chairman of the Regional Branch of the Urals, Siberia and Far East of the Russian Academy of Arts, passed away at the age of 62 in Krasnoyarsk.

Art historians define his style of work as "Siberian Neo-Archaean".

Works: artgod.rurahusdv.rukulaika.ruarticle on creativity

gnkk.ru

700000.jpg

• Like 1

On 22/04/2022 at 17:11, arghton said:

Juhani Palmu hospitalised again (around the fourth time this year) around a week ago with chest pain and kidney failure. He's also been put into a nursing home against his wife's will. Tough guy, he's got atleast 3 or 4 different serious diseases but seems to be indestructible and survives every hospitalisation

Juhani Palmu made a few rare public appearances recently.

palmu.png.15de1c8b8e47a4968f9d020681e74184.png

Doesn't look that bad, but according to this article last week he "didn't react to anything happening around him and looked like he was in very poor health".

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, arghton said:

Juhani Palmu made a few rare public appearances recently.

palmu.png.15de1c8b8e47a4968f9d020681e74184.png

Doesn't look that bad, but according to this article last week he "didn't react to anything happening around him and looked like he was in very poor health".

Can someone make a quick summary of all his health issues ? I red them somewhere and he reminds me of Zsa Zsa 

On 17/12/2022 at 17:10, Lafaucheuse said:

Can someone make a quick summary of all his health issues ? I red them somewhere and he reminds me of Zsa Zsa 

Diabetes, stroke around 2011, heart attacks, prostate cancer, urinary tract cancer, bladder cancer (twice), other heart problems, UTIs, kidney failure, long history of alcohol use and smoking. Probably tens of hospitalisations in the last decade. Possibly suffering from dementia.

two house fires (2017 & 2021) + complications: was intubated after his 2017 fire and had to have some fingers and toes amputated, after his 2021 house fire suffered two cardiac arrests in intensive care and was in critical condition and hospitalised for three months. Had to have his left leg and multiple fingers amputated.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 4

1 minute ago, arghton said:

Diabetes, stroke around 2011, heart attacks, prostate cancer, urinary tract cancer, bladder cancer (twice), other heart problems, UTIs, kidney failure, long history of alcohol use and smoking. Probably tens of hospitalisations in the last decade. Possibly suffering from dementia.

two house fires (2017 & 2021) + complications: was intubated after his 2017 fire and had to have some fingers and toes amputated, after his 2021 house fire suffered two cardiac arrests in intensive care and was in critical condition and hospitalised for three months. Had to have his left leg and multiple fingers amputated.

It sounds like a bad joke. Damn poor guy, immortal potential right ?

• Like 1

Painter John Howard Sanden has died at 87:

https://patch.com/connecticut/ridgefield/obituary-john-howard-sanden-ridgefield-portrait-artist

He made kitschy portraits of patrician Americans who want to be the main focus in their own gallery, for example the Bush family and several African leaders.

• Like 1

Do you realized that is a bot-generated webscraper site and not an actual news site, right?

31 minutes ago, drol said:

Do you realized that is a bot-generated webscraper site and not an actual news site, right?

ArtNews? Or did he change the link since you posted that?

• Like 1

Abstract Expressionist and New Realist painter and filmmaker Alfred Leslie, who was influential during the 1960s, died at 95 years:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/27/arts/alfred-leslie-dead.html

He was known for such films as "Directions: A Walk After the War Games," "The Cedar Bar" from 2001, "Einstein's Secret" from 2008, and "The New York Story" from 1963.

• Like 3

San Antonio mural artist Jesse Trevino has died at 76:

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/san-antonio-jesse-trevino-death-17782096.php

A former Deathrace pick, he had the urgent thoughts and prayers a bit more than a year ago. He lasted quite long for that.

• Like 1

Camille Souter, British-born Irish abstract and landscape artist. She lived and worked on Achill Island and was a Saoi of Aosdána. She died aged 93. RTE

11 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Camille Souter, British-born Irish abstract and landscape artist. She lived and worked on Achill Island and was a Saoi of Aosdána. She died aged 93. RTE

Lol the examples they included in her obit.  That shite would get you expelled from art school.  

Lou Stovall, Washington DC artist and master printmaker, dies at 86.

• Like 2