IKYWN

Paul Gascoigne

Why didn't they think of this 10 years ago?

Poor guy. Stick a 6 pack of Shandy in his hand. He gets giddy then falls asleep for a nap at about midday. That's about the right drink for his mental age anyway.

• Like 1

He'll be in line for a liver transplant in the next couple of years.

He'll be in line for a liver transplant in the next couple of years.

He is going the George Best route, I have no doubts.

• Like 1

I think there's no doubt Gazza will die young, but whether it will be this year or not is uncertain. He might be a wasted pick, but we might just get lucky.

Sad, but somewhat inevitable, to see Gazza on this part of the site.

I'd love to be wrong but he's been picked for a couple of my teams this year.

Guest Guest

he's still alive and well (sort of)

he's still alive and well (sort of)

If he's well, where does unwell start?

• Like 1

Guest Tox1415

A collapsed lung isn't that life-threatening, had one myself and all it takes is a whacking great needle into the lung cavity...

(slumps onto desk)

It's very fatal without the needle though.

A collapsed lung isn't that life-threatening, had one myself and all it takes is a whacking great needle into the lung cavity...

(slumps onto desk)

Argh, I can't stop myself....

You cannot have "very fatal". It's either fatal, or it isn't. See also...."nearly unique"....

Ahhhh, that's better.

• Like 3

(slumps onto desk)

Argh, I can't stop myself....

You cannot have "very fatal". It's either fatal, or it isn't. See also...."nearly unique"....

Ahhhh, that's better.

I guess he meant to say "almost invariably fatal" or something.

What's the matter with nearly (or rather, almost) unique though? If there're only two copies of something (say, an ancient greek coin or a special aeroplane model), one of them is almost UNIque.

"unique (adj.) 1. being the only one of its kind

Example sentence: everyone's fingerprints are unique.

You can use absolutely, totally or almost with unique in this meaning."

http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/unique?q=unique

• Like 1

What's wrong with it, at least in my view is, if there's another one, it's not unique and that's that. Doesn't really matter what the item in question is, coins, planes, anything. Two of them and unique is out of the ballpark.

Sure in common usage everyone understands this as "extremely rare" and trying to find superlatives to convey the meaning of "almost unique" possibly isn't that straightforward, hence its use, but to me, it sounds as bad as "nearly infinite", which is yet another can of worms.

Oddly enough I'm not really a grammar nazi (my own english isn't up to that close an inspection for a start), just some common uses grate a little.

Edit to add: I did look up your linky, and whilst I cannot argue that they do have almost listed, I still do not like it ;)

What's wrong with it, at least in my view is, if there's another one, it's not unique and that's that.

Yeah, I agree, almost unique is not unique, just like an almost fatal incident is not fatal, or almost identical dresses differ in something.

Since I studied a bit of mathematical analysis, "nearly infinite" feels way worse to me. One can define the concept of being "near" a number (like zero or one), and sometimes one has to use that when dealing with limits etc. But you can't be near infinity unless you like non-standard analysis.

'Kid'll read it but he won't learn anything from it; he never does.

'Kid'll read it but he won't learn anything from it; he never does.

Don't be too harsh on the Kid. He is very young and if one day he is writing something and stops and thinks If I had written that on the Deathlist I would have been crucified and he changes it then our work will be done.

All of us make mistakes on occasion.

• Like 1

What's wrong with it, at least in my view is, if there's another one, it's not unique and that's that.

Yeah, I agree, almost unique is not unique, just like an almost fatal incident is not fatal, or almost identical dresses differ in something.

Since I studied a bit of mathematical analysis, "nearly infinite" feels way worse to me. One can define the concept of being "near" a number (like zero or one), and sometimes one has to use that when dealing with limits etc. But you can't be near infinity unless you like non-standard analysis.

I've been thinking about this a bit in the depths of what passes for my grey matter (yes that's sad, I know, I know....)

What happens if you apply this mathematical analysis to two of something?

Surely if there are two of something then one of them is now only 50% of those in existence, and 50% isn't almost or even nearly 100%.

(Perhaps I should find a member whose views I vehemently disagree with and insult them, it seems to make for far more interesting reading for third parties..).

But 50, rounded to the nearest hundred, is 100, not zero.

Therefore if there are two of something it should be OK to say almost unique.

Anyway, uniqueness can very well exist in many places when you consider the sub atomic, biological and molecular levels. Until you hanker down to this oxygen atom is identical this other oxygen atom, except its position in the universe, then you start to lose your will to live... And the ability to question correctly anything and everything in existence.

• Like 1

Why would you round 50 to 100? Don't follow that at all.

Besides, it appears that the dictionary people already say it is OK to use it, I'm simply being recalcitrant, contrary and perhaps overly stubborn in my dislke of it.

Any number can be exact or rounded. If I could now write down the amount in Pounds Stirring that equates to the UK national debt then I am going to use a rounded number. Understanding the question, my best informed answer would be 1.4 Trillion Pounds.

A number so large it often confuses so many people into believing the lie that the UK economy is well and the Governmment know what they are doing.

Try and find an exact figure for this amount and I expect it will still be rounded and never quantified to a single pence amount it very could be on a given exact moment in time it very well, will be.

Edit...

Wiki quotes it to be £1.5 Trillion

But references an article from the Office for National Statistics which puts it thus:

"While the deficit in 2013/14 has fallen by a third since its peak in 2009/10, the continued reliance on borrowing has seen public sector net debt reach £1,457.2 billion, or 79.5% of GDP in November 2014."

So their best figure is rounded to £200 million. And 14 months out of date.

Express this in a graph, extend it forward six months and Gazza will no longer be able to afford a bottle of Vodka and 20 tabs.

Too dense, still don't get it. Particularly with regard to percentiles, 50% rounded to 100% makes an absolute mockery of using a percentage in the first place to my eyes.

Ah, but a percentile is not a percentage. I won't bother you with the details.

Spoilsport, I'll just have to go and look it up now.

Anyway, in that case, rounding a "percentage" from 50% to 100% makes no sense to me.

Spoilsport, I'll just have to go and look it up now.

:D

Anyway, in that case, rounding a "percentage" from 50% to 100% makes no sense to me.

Ehrm, :scratchhead:

To me neither.

GUYS, GUYS, PLEASE. This is too much for my Red-Bull-addled mind on a Saturday morning. Let's just go back to 'what a lad that Gazza is', ok?

• Like 3