Sign in to follow this  
Banshees Scream

Johannes Heesters

I read on the German Wikipedia he's now one of the five oldest German men alive.

Guest Guest

It's not in his gift to decide that.Only God decides those things..

By the grace of God, Heesters makes it to 108.

The concert he had planned for his birthday has been postponed but is due to be rescheduled for some time within the next 10 years.

• Like 1

The concert he had planned for his birthday has been postponed but is due to be rescheduled for some time within the next 10 years.

"Long live Heesters!" His longevity is grand! Thanks to partying and of course his grandfather who reached this age to be precise. Clap clap .. and until next year ..

"Long live Heesters!" His longevity is grand! Thanks to partying and of course his grandfather who reached this age to be precise. Clap clap .. and until next year ..

Banshees you're not married to Zara Philips by any chance?

Isn't that a bit like saying "Lock up Charlie Manson"?

Guest Lars

Dutch-born German movie-legend and Singer Johannes Heesters rushed to Hospital on Saturday night. His family, including his actress-wife Simone Rethel (62) and actress-daughter Nicole Heesters are by his bedside, in a Hospital in the area of Starnberger See / Bavaria. Heesters, who turns 108 two weeks ago, is Germany’s last living big movie legend, he has a stardom since the 1930s likes US-Stars in Hollywood Robert Taylor, Cary Grant, James Stewart, Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy or Kirk Douglas. One of his living Film partner, from the 1930s, is Martha Eggerth (99). Also he is world`s oldest actor who's still working.

What's everybody elses opinions on Heesters being on the deathlist?

Would he be a legitimate pick, or would it be clutching at straws given his advanced age?

Would this be the equivalent of putting a 108 year old Bruce Forsyth on the list? Or did nobody (with the exception of Hitler, perhaps) take any notice of Heester's career until he was over the age of 100?

Would he be a legitimate pick, or would it be clutching at straws given his advanced age?

Would this be the equivalent of putting a 108 year old Bruce Forsyth on the list? Or did nobody (with the exception of Hitler, perhaps) take any notice of Heester's career until he was over the age of 100?

He's alive, he's a celeb (?) he's fair game.

Dutch-born German movie-legend and Singer Johannes Heesters rushed to Hospital on Saturday night. His family, including his actress-wife Simone Rethel (62) and actress-daughter Nicole Heesters are by his bedside...

His wife is only 62?! Bloody cradle-snatcher. <_<

• Like 1

Well, he may be better known now for being a very old actor, but he's still acting, so he's famous for something other than being ancient.

He wont get picked, because there's little chance of a British Obit. The BBC last covered him in 2008, last I checked no British papers have mentioned him in some time.

Well, he may be better known now for being a very old actor, but he's still acting, so he's famous for something other than being ancient.

He wont get picked, because there's little chance of a British Obit. The BBC last covered him in 2008, last I checked no British papers have mentioned him in some time.

I think he stands a good chance of getting an obit, papers like The Times or The Telegraph will publish one. As for the BBC, I feel he stands a good chance.

He won't make it till 2012.... According to this (Dutch) article he's already in critical condition... Highly doubt if he'll survives the next 11 days....

He won't make it till 2012.... According to this (Dutch) article he's already in critical condition... Highly doubt if he'll survives the next 11 days....

Ah well. That would solve the problem and settle an argument.

That article:

De toestand van Johannes Heesters heeft zich dinsdag 'acuut verslechterd' en is nu kritiek. Dat heeft zijn zaakwaarnemer Thomas Weiler aan het persbureau dapd meegedeeld. Zijn familie is bij hem.

De 108-jarige zanger en acteur werd zaterdagavond met spoed in het ziekenhuis opgenomen en ligt sindsdien op de intensive care. Drie weken geleden lag Heesters ook al enkele dagen in het ziekenhuis.

Zijn 108e verjaardag vierde hij op 5 december echter thuis. Een aanvankelijk gepland verjaardagsgala moest wegens zijn broze gezondheid worden afgezegd. De in Nederland geboren Heesters is volgens het Guinness Book of Records de oudste actieve acteur ter wereld.

Translation:

Johannes Heesters' condition has 'worsened acutely' and is now critical , according to spokesman Thomas Weiler to press agency dapd. His relatives have joined him.

The 108 y/o singer and actor was rushed to hospital last Saturday night and has been in intensive care since. Three weeks ago Heesters was in hospital for a few days as well.

December 5 he celebrated his 108th birthday at home. A planned birthday gala had to be cancelled due to his fragile health. Dutch born Heesters is, according to the Guinness Book of Records, the oldest performing actor in the world.

Difficult to assess this one. No medical details and a news agency that, according to their website, has been active for less than 4 months.

I could be wrong, but this sounds a bit dodgy. Mr Heesters will be on my DDP MMXII team, though, if he makes it to 2012. I think he's on final and I'm confident UK news sources will oblige when his time comes.

regards,

Hein

Guest Guest

Looks pretty much like the end to me.he would be a likely first hit in 2012 if he was on the list.For that reason I fully expect him to die no later than december 31.

Oh well then. If everybody else thinks he's a legitimate choice, he'll be going on my shadow - at least.

Guest Guest

My Dutch is not good so I'm relying on Google Chromes automatic translator here(which is far from perfect) so bear with me. This is a very rough translation of the latest news on Heesters ...

STARNBERG.

The great actor John Heesters concern is justified, because his condition remains critical. I changed nothing in its constitution, his agent said on Wednesday Jürgen Ross on request. Heesters continues to lie in the ICU. The 108-year-old had been admitted on the weekend of ambulance to the hospital and has since been held there.

He was already about three weeks after a dizzy spell a few days in the hospital, but was then released to his 108th To celebrate birthday with his family at his home in Starnberg. He lives there with his younger wife of 45 years, actress and author Simone Rethel.

Heesters originally wanted, the oldest active than true actors in the world, give a concert on his birthday in the southern Baden Breisach. The show was canceled, but it should be rescheduled. Just a new short film came out with him in the role of "Peter", and with the film adaptation of a story by Anton Chekhov ("Vanka holy night"), he already had the next project in mind. The magazine "Bunte" said the former "Ufa" movie star shortly after his birthday, he wanted to be at least 110 years old. (DAPD / dpa)

If he goes this year, I'm hoping he gets an obit as I have him on my list.

My Dutch is not good so I'm relying on Google Chromes automatic translator here(which is far from perfect) so bear with me. This is a very rough translation of the latest news on Heesters ...

Article in German:

Starnberg. Die große Sorge um Schauspieler Johannes Heesters ist berechtigt, denn sein Gesundheitszustand ist weiterhin kritisch. An seiner Verfassung habe sich nichts geändert, sagte sein Agent Jürgen Ross am Mittwoch auf Anfrage. Heesters liege weiterhin auf der Intensivstation. Der 108-Jährige war am Wochenende vom Notarzt in die Klinik eingeliefert worden und befindet sich seither dort.

Er lag bereits vor rund drei Wochen nach einem Schwächeanfall einige Tage im Krankenhaus, konnte aber dann entlassen werden, um seinen 108. Geburtstag mit seiner Familie in seinem Haus in Starnberg zu feiern. Er lebt dort mit seiner über 45 Jahre jüngeren Frau, der Schauspielerin und Buchautorin Simone Rethel.

Ursprünglich wollte Heesters, der als ältester aktiver Schauspieler der Welt gilt, an seinem Geburtstag ein Konzert im südbadischen Breisach geben. Der Auftritt wurde abgesagt, sollte aber nachgeholt werden. Gerade kam ein neuer Kurzfilm mit ihm in der Rolle des „Petrus“ heraus, und mit der Verfilmung einer Geschichte von Anton Tschechow (“Wankas heiliger Abend“) hatte er bereits das nächste Projekt vor Augen. Der Zeitschrift „Bunte“ sagte der einstige „Ufa“-Filmstar kurz nach seinem Geburtstag, er wolle mindestens 110 Jahre alt werden. (dapd/dpa)

Which translates to:

Starnberg. The great worries for actor Johannes Heesters are justified, for his health remains critical. When asked, his agent Jürgen Ross said Wednesday that his condition hasn't changed. Heesters is still in intensive care. An emergency doctor referred the 108 y/o to hospital by and he stays there since.

Three weeks ago he already was in hospital for a few days after an episode of weakness, but was released to celebrate his 108th birthday with his family, at home in Starnberg. He lives there with his 45 years younger wife, actress and author Simone Rethel.

Originally Heesters, considered the oldest active actor in the world, wanted to give a concert for his birthday in the southern Bavarian town of Breisach. The show was cancelled and is supposed to be held later. Just recently a short film was released in which he played the toll of "Petrus" [possibly St Peter, I can't be arsed to check -- MH] and with a roll in a film made of Anton Chekhov's story "Vanka" he already planned his next project. "Bunte“ [a German gossip weekly -- MH] said, shortly after his birthday, that the former "UFA" star wants to stay to at least 110 years. (dapd/dpa)

No news is good news, I presume.

regards,

Hein

doesn't look good for Heesters according to this article

Doch es ist immer fraglicher, ob der große Johannes „Jopie“ Heesters (108) noch einmal seine Augen öffnen wird.

Gestern teilte die Klinik in seinem Wohnort Starnberg (Bayern) mit, Jopies Zustand sei weiter kritisch. Auch sein Sprecher Jürgen Ross sagte, an seiner schlechten Verfassung habe sich nichts geändert. Heesters liegt auf der Intensivstation! Sein Herz schlägt nur noch schwach.

translates to:

But it is increasingly doubtful whether the great Johannes "Jopie" Heesters (108) to open his eyes again.

Yesterday, the hospital said in his hometown Starnberg (Bavaria), Jopie condition was more critical. His spokesman Juergen Ross said, had in his depressed state is not changed. Heesters is in intensive care! His heart beats feebly.

C'mon man, what's another eight days when you've survived 108 years?!!!

The suspense is killing me.

German weeky Stern wrote about our hero five hours ago:

23. Dezember 2011, 12:56 Uhr

Sorge um 108-Jährigen Entertainer

Schauspieler Johannes Heesters wird Weihnachten in der Klinik verbringen müssen. Es gehe ihm weiter schlecht, sagte sein Agent Jürgen Ross am Freitag der Nachrichtenagentur DPA. "Der Zustand ist unverändert kritisch." Am Wochenende war der 108 Jahre alte Schauspieler mit einem Rettungswagen ins Klinikum Starnberg gebracht und in der Intensivstation aufgenommen worden.

or in English:

23 December 2011, 12:56 CET

Worries about 108 y/o entertainer

Actor Johannes Heesters will have to spend Xmas in hospital. He's stilll in a bad way, agent Jürgen Ross told news agency DPA. "His condition is unchangedly critical." Last weekend the 108 y/o was taken to hospital by ambulance and admitted to the ICU.

It's difficult to predict, but as long as his health doesn't deteriorate, there's still hope.

Edit to add: suddenly I see the light of the blindingly obvious: he'll cark it at Christmas. I can already imagine the headlines. He's always been an attention whore.

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein
Prediction added.

Guest Guest

Latest update on his condition ...(translated)

Johannes Heesters must spend Christmas in hospital

His condition is "still critical"

Berlin (DAPD). The 108-year-old Johannes Heesters the Christmas holidays will obviously have to spend in the hospital Starnberg. Heesters' condition was "still critical," the agent said the actor, Jürgen Ross, on Friday, the news agency DAPD.