maryportfuncity

Widow(er) Shopping

Widow of Chinese Supreme People's Court President Xie Juezai, Wang Dingguo, has died prematurely at 107.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I wasn't aware that Tony Hancock's second wife, Freddie, is still alive. Now 90 years old. 

• Like 1

Death Notice of Lady Teresa Carter (nee Greengoe) aged 89: http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/244288/carter

Widow of the Labour Peer Lord Denis Carter, cockney boy made "good" and elevated to the Peerage by Neil Kinnock, later to become Chief Whip in the Lords for the party appointed by Tony Blair. He died way back in 2006.

• Like 1

On 30/05/2009 at 01:09, DevonDeathTrip said:

The pleasingly named Janet Banana, widow of Zimbabwe's former President Canaan Banana, sought political asylum in the UK in 2000. She seems to have gone to ground a bit since then. This article from 2002 says she was living on £10 a week and her Wiki page says she became a UK citizen in 2006.

This article, reporting the death of Michael Banana, would indicate that Mrs Banana is still alive, given that President Mnangagwa has offered her his condolences on the death of her son.

• Like 1

Yeah, it got disproved

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jcc said:

This is not correct.

Following up on this, she's had a stroke. Obviously she's not 100% but she is talking and moving. Speech is slurred but recovering. 

• Like 1

Dead or not, please let’s never dump Rita Marley in the “widows” thread.

She’s a big musician in her own right. It’s a bit like flinging June Carter Cash or Ike Turner in here.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jcc said:

Following up on this, she's had a stroke. Obviously she's not 100% but she is talking and moving. Speech is slurred but recovering. 

Video of Rita Marley from yesterday here.

You’re correct, definitely a stroke but looks like it was suffered some time ago. It’s robbed her ability to speak. Probably not in any immediate danger but someone we should be keeping an eye on. When they’re that bad in the first instance they can often reoccur.

I think this isn't the first time she's been wrongly reported to have died.

On 09/01/2021 at 09:22, CastAway said:

A widow for over 80 years. There can hardly have been anyone in the world with a parent (logically a father) born so long ago as her husband, but a spouse to have had a partner born so long ago when one died in 2020 has to be a record breaker/creator?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

A widow for over 80 years. There can hardly have been anyone in the world with a parent (logically a father) born so long ago as her husband, but a spouse to have had a partner born so long ago when one died in 2020 has to be a record breaker/creator?

Probably yes. In that category "biggest lifespan of either spouse". 1843-2020

Anna Nicole Smith also had this huge age difference, but of course, she died very early herself.

• Like 2

Joanne Rogers, widow of Fred Rogers, dies

Also noted in Dead of 2021

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Patricia Rooney, the widow of former U.S. Ambassador to Ireland Dan Rooney, has died. She was 88. Patricia Rooney was also the mother of Art Rooney II, president of the NFL`s Pittsburgh Steelers.

https://www.steelers.com/news/steelers-mourn-the-loss-of-patricia-rooney-88

Also her grandniece is the actress Rooney Mara star of the Us remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CaptainChorizo said:

Also her grandniece is the actress Rooney Mara star of the Us remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

As well as the actress Kate Mara.

Just remembered that Buddy Holly's widow is still alive currently aged 88, as is his older brother, Larry, who is 95. Feels very weird to me (almost John Tyleresque) given the length of time since Buddy Holly died. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Just remembered that Buddy Holly's widow is still alive currently aged 88, as is his older brother, Larry, who is 95. Feels very weird to me (almost John Tyleresque) given the length of time since Buddy Holly died. 

I reckon Holly would still be alive today if not for the crash. Ditto Ritchie Valens. The Big Bopper would have died at some point in the 1990s.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Death Impends said:

I reckon Holly would still be alive today if not for the crash. Ditto Ritchie Valens. The Big Bopper would have died at some point in the 1990s.

I think the answer to that largely depends on if Holly got into drink and drugs in the 1960s. If he'd stayed out of that scene, then I agree he'd probably still be alive as his parents both lived into their 80s and his siblings lived to be 79, 89 and 95 (still alive) so there's decent longevity in the family. In contrast, the Big Bopper's two children both died in their mid 50s so I reckon he would have died in the 1980s. Incredibly Valens would only be 79 if he had survived so might well still be going. It's certainly a counterfactual. 

Rebecca Kotane, widow of ANC stalwart Moses Kotane, prematurely dead at 108.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1