maryportfuncity

Widow(er) Shopping

5 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Dr. Joseph Stothert, the husband of the sitting mayor of Omaha, Nebraska, Jean Stothert, has died of a self-inflicted gunshot.

https://www.klkntv.com/man-found-dead-on-mayor-stotherts-property-her-husband-has-reportedly-died/

Good thing she was sitting when she heard the news.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Excuse my pedantry but shouldn’t you have to BE a widow/er to be posted here, rather than having the event that made you a widow give you access to this thread?  Otherwise literally EVERY death could be posted here if they left behind a spouse.

Anyway, she wasn’t a widow until her spouse died.  What she was was a mayor.  This post is in the wrong thread and that’s that.  I’ve no idea where it should be but I know where it shouldn’t.

Sir Charms! :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sir Charms said:

Excuse my pedantry but shouldn’t you have to BE a widow/er to be posted here, rather than having the event that made you a widow give you access to this thread?  Otherwise literally EVERY death could be posted here if they left behind a spouse.

Anyway, she wasn’t a widow until her spouse died.  What she was was a mayor.  This post is in the wrong thread and that’s that.  I’ve no idea where it should be but I know where it shouldn’t.

Who's "she"? The cat's mother? 

5 hours ago, Sir Charms said:

Can't believe we actually agree on something.

6 hours ago, Sir Charms said:

I'm not having much luck with this thread, but the answer to your question is 'yes'. In my attempt to avoid the last issue I had with this thread, i.e. not using it for someone less-than-famous who had passed after their spouse had already died, this entry might've been more appropriate in the 'Deaths of 2021' thread or the 'Fringes' thread or even the 'Political Frailty' thread. In my mind I was thinking "well, her husband's now dead, so she's a widow, so the entry belongs here". But, the thread's implication is she must already be a widow and be the one dying.

John Le Carre's widow Valerie Eustace has died aged 82, just 2 months after Le Carre himself.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

I'm not having much luck with this thread, but the answer to your question is 'yes'. In my attempt to avoid the last issue I had with this thread, i.e. not using it for someone less-than-famous who had passed after their spouse had already died, this entry might've been more appropriate in the 'Deaths of 2021' thread or the 'Fringes' thread or even the 'Political Frailty' thread. In my mind I was thinking "well, her husband's now dead, so she's a widow, so the entry belongs here". But, the thread's implication is she must already be a widow and be the one dying.

All deaths should go in 'Deaths of 2021' regardless.  You can cross-post if there's an obviously appropriate niche thread.

Maybe we should have one for "Americans who are only notable in their own back yard".

4 hours ago, Toast said:

Maybe we should have one for "Americans who are only notable in their own back yard".

That'll never work.

Brits and other Euro's won't know them anyway so won't post them at all and every single American thinks any countryman they know is equally famous anywhere on the planet.

• Facepalm 1

How many widows and widowers of people who have been on Deathlist are alive? Atleast Mugabe's, Zsa Zsa's and McCain's other halves are still alive.

2 minutes ago, arghton said:

How many widows and widowers of people who have been on Deathlist are alive? Atleast Mugabe's, Zsa Zsa's and McCain's other halves are still alive.

Probably tons, and especially of those who died early of cancer, i.e. Gord Downie's and Leah Bracknell's partners. Also Pinochet's widow.

46 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Probably tons, and especially of those who died early of cancer, i.e. Gord Downie's and Leah Bracknell's partners. Also Pinochet's widow.

Anne Buydens, Kirk Douglas's widow is still with us and would obit when the time comes.

Andres Segovia, the first DL hit and only 1987 hit, left behind a widow born around 1939 or 1940 (According to a nytimes obituary, she was 22 when they married in 1961, according to many other sources they got married in 1962): Emilia Magdalena Corral Sancho. Couldn't find much information on her with a quick search. Another obituary says she was 52 at the time of his death, meaning she would have been born around 1935. Dead or alive?

While researching today's death anniversaries, I discovered that Pauline Hailwood, widow of Mike died last June. She'd been suffering with cancer for a number of years, and was 76.

(If everyone already knew, just ignore).

On 06/03/2021 at 19:09, arghton said:

Andres Segovia, the first DL hit and only 1987 hit, left behind a widow born around 1939 or 1940 (According to a nytimes obituary, she was 22 when they married in 1961, according to many other sources they got married in 1962): Emilia Magdalena Corral Sancho. Couldn't find much information on her with a quick search. Another obituary says she was 52 at the time of his death, meaning she would have been born around 1935. Dead or alive?

Born 1940, now known as Emilia Segovia, Marquesa de Salobreña.

15 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Born 1940, now known as Emilia Segovia, Marquesa de Salobreña.

47 years his junior, there's many famous electric guitarists would love to match that!

On 06/03/2021 at 10:23, Handrejka said:

Anne Buydens, Kirk Douglas's widow is still with us and would obit when the time comes.

Dead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adrian0719 said:

Dead.

Anne Buydens QO from The S*n.

On 30/05/2009 at 02:09, DevonDeathTrip said:

The pleasingly named Janet Banana, widow of Zimbabwe's former President Canaan Banana, sought political asylum in the UK in 2000. She seems to have gone to ground a bit since then. This article from 2002 says she was living on £10 a week and her Wiki page says she became a UK citizen in 2006.

The Banana has been peeled at 83:

https://news.pindula.co.zw/2021/07/29/former-first-lady-janet-banana-dies-aged-83/

I recall she had a spell of ill health not too long ago, 2018/19.

• Like 2

Shehu Shagari's widow Hadiza dead at 80 from COVID-19.

• Like 1

Louise King, the widow of F1 Ferrari driver Peter Collins has died aged 89.

Meeting at the instigation of Stirling Moss, Collins proposed two days later, and they married a week after they first met. They were married for only 18 months before Collins was killed, crashing at the German Grand Prix at Nürburgring in 1958. 

King subsequently resumed her acting career, appearing on stage at the request of Peter Ustinov, as well as taking parts in British TV.

• Like 1

Death Notice for Philippa Mather (nee Bewicke-Copley), widow of the former Tory MP for Esher Sir Carol Mather (who died in 2006): http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/252081/mather-philippa-selina

I can't quote the post of Carol Mather's death on the Forum, I think it's in a locked thread.

Philippa Mather was the daughter of the 5th Baron Cromwell.

• Like 3

On 08/01/2021 at 16:43, YoungWillz said:

Tommy Lasorda being reported dead just after release from hospital:

That's my pitch anyway.

Let's see if it's true.

Jo Lasorda, widow with no staying power, dead: https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/09/21/jo-lasorda-wife-of-dodgers-legend-tommy-lasodra-passes-away-at-91/

• Like 2