chicago103

Each Year's Most Significant Death.

I'm scared to ask if there could be a bigger one.

Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, Iggy Pop are all contenders.

And BTW, why does everybody think Bowie is the biggest death of the decade?

He's probably tied with Amy Winehouse.

However, Whitney Houston was definitely the biggest of the decade so far.

I'll probably make a poll on January 1, 2020.

But now that I said the idea, somebody's going to do it today even though new contenders could be added.

Neil Armstrong is a top contender for that.

• Like 1

But now that I said the idea, somebody's going to do it today even though new contenders could be added.

They're all big and I have a problem on who is the biggest of them. Whitney, Amy, Bowie and Prince were all superstars and by my opinion all tied. Only Madonna could be the death of this decade. I don't think that even Elton or George Michael could go over the four mentioned.

Queen Elizabeth II , Prince Philip, Fidel Castro , George Bush Sr,Jimmy Carter ,Desmond Tutu ,Stephen Hawking ,Muhammad Ali, Billy Graham,Clint Eastwood , Pope Benedict , Pope Francis , Mikhail Gorbachev , Sean Connery ,Roger Moore are some possible contenders in terms of worldwide fame, reognition and age.

• Like 1

Biggest of the decade so far I would say are:

1)Neil Armstrong

2)Osama Bin Laden

3)Nelson Mandela

4)Margaret Thatcher

5)David Bowie

6)Amy Winehouse

7)Prince

8)Whitney Housten

9)Robin Williams

10)Kim Jong Il

Queen Elizabeth II , Prince Philip, Fidel Castro , George Bush Sr,Jimmy Carter ,Desmond Tutu ,Stephen Hawking ,Muhammad Ali, Billy Graham,Clint Eastwood , Pope Benedict , Pope Francis , Mikhail Gorbachev , Sean Connery ,Roger Moore are some possible contenders in terms of worldwide fame, reognition and age.

Only those darkened. Hardly that Benedict, Moore or Gorbachev would be bigger then Bowie. We'll have to wait for 2020 to judge.

Biggest of the decade so far I would say are:

1)Neil Armstrong

2)Osama Bin Laden

3)Nelson Mandela

4)Margaret Thatcher

5)David Bowie

6)Amy Winehouse

7)Prince

8)Whitney Housten

9)Robin Williams

10)Kim Jong Il

I have to disagree with some of these. Thatcher for instance. She is important but hardly in top 10. Kim, Bin Laden and Armstrong also important but not that much. Keep in mind that this is the view of a non British person.

Only those darkened. Hardly that Benedict, Moore or Gorbachev would be bigger then Bowie. We'll have to wait for 2020 to judge.

If you don't mind me saying so, I am really surprised that someone from a former Communist state would think that Bowie's death would be more significant than Gorbachev's.

If you don't mind me saying so, I am really surprised that someone from a former Communist state would think that Bowie's death would be more significant than Gorbachev's.

I was born in 93. Yougoslavia died in 91. They don't teach us in school that Tito is an eternal leader, god king and so...we barely even mention him. His streets are being renamed and everyone is trying to forget last century. Gorbachev means nothing to me and my parents thought he's dead for years now.

• Like 1

Pope Benedict will get a hell of a load of coverage worldwide as the Pope is a massive world figure that few people in the world will not know.The fact he retired will make it less significant but it will still be huge.Gorbachev similarly is a massive figure in world politics so the output of coverage will be huge.Moore will get a lot of coverage and is known the world over but he will maybe not get as much coverage as Bowie I conceed.

In UK terms the biggest two would be the Queen or Prince Phillip.That is guaranteed newsflash territory even in this day and age.

• Like 1

If Scott Walker,Laurie Anderson ,Tom Waits or one of The Residents died that would surpass Bowie and Prince for the avant garde/experimental music fans

• Like 1

Pope Benedict will get a hell of a load of coverage worldwide as the Pope is a massive world figure that few people in the world will not know.The fact he retired will make it less significant but it will still be huge.Gorbachev similarly is a massive figure in world politics so the output of coverage will be huge.Moore will get a lot of coverage and is known the world over but he will maybe not get as much coverage as Bowie I conceed.

In UK terms the biggest two would be the Queen or Prince Phillip.That is guaranteed newsflash territory even in this day and age.

They would get a treatment like Thatcher had. News but not breaking like Prince or Bowie. Queen on the other hand would be bigger than Ben. But both would get live funeral. Jackson type of a thing.

My predictions for the biggest deaths from May onwards:

May:Peter Sallis

June:Martin Landau

July:Muhammad Ali

August:Val Kilmer

September:Ken Dodd

October:George Bush senior

November:Paul Gascoigne

December:Nobby Stiles

My predictions for the biggest deaths from May onwards:

May:Peter Sallis

June:Martin Landau

July:Muhammad Ali

August:Val Kilmer

September:Ken Dodd

October:George Bush senior

November:Paul Gascoigne

December:Nobby Stiles

It would get me 3 hits. But I thought Val is cancer free now.

I think prince is the biggest.

Guest Arsewipe

Whilst he was more popular and (probably) more well known than Bowie in the USA, Bowie had a much bigger worldwide audience in my humble opinion.

Bowie trumps Prince for me.

And me. It's a close call though.

• Like 1

For an Estonian, I must say:

1. Bowie
2. Cruyff

3. Prince

Scalia makes the top 5 from an American point of

view.

Guest Bowie

Bowie's death is the biggest of the year so far, narrowly ahead of Prince.