chicago103

Each Year's Most Significant Death.

Mark Hollis for me. I know he's not as big a name as Doris Day, Carol Channing, Keith Flint, Peter Tork, Scott Walker, etc but his death is still a sad surprise. He seemed to me an active and healthy person.

• Like 2

Since my year of birth.

Worldwide:

2000: Sir Alex Guinness

2001: Jack Lemmon

2002: Queen Mother

2003: Johnny Cash

2004: Ronald Reagan/Marlon Brando

2005: Pope John Paul II

2006: Saddam Hussein

2007: Benazir Bhutto

2008: Paul Newman/Heath Ledger

2009: Michael Jackson/Brittany Murphy

2010: Dennis Hopper

2011: Amy Winehouse/Elizabeth Taylor

2012: Whitney Houston

2013: Margaret Thatcher/Paul Walker

2014: Robin Williams

2015: Christopher Lee

2016: David Bowie

2017: John Hurt

2018: Stan Lee

2019: Karl Lagerfeld

In Russia:

2000: Yuri Klinskikh (the rock star)

2001: Georgy Vitsin (an actor)

2002: Sergey Bodrov Jr (a young and promising actor)

2003:  Leonid Filatov (an actor)

2004: Klara Rumyanova (an actress)

2005:  Georgy Zhzhonov (an actor)

2006: Lyubov Polishchuk (an actress)

2007: Boris Yeltsin (an alcoholic president)

2008: Alexander Abdulov (chainsmoking actor)

2009: Oleg Yankovsky (an actor)

2010: Vladislav Galkin (a young, but alcoholic actor)

2011: Lyudmila Gurchenko (an actress)

2012: Eduard Khil (Mr Trololo)

2013: Mikhail Kalashnikov 

2014: Anatoly Kuznetsov ( an actor)

2015: Eldar Ryazanov(filmmaker)/Zhanna Friske(pop star)

2016: Vladimir Zeldin (an actor)

2017: Alexey Batalov (an actor)

2018: Oleg Tabakov (an actor)

2019: Alexei Leonov/Yulia Nachalova (pop star)

• Like 1

Most significant deaths since 2003 from an American perspective (so don't get offended if you disagree :D): 

2003: Bob Hope & Katharine Hepburn 

2004: Ronald Reagan

2005: Pope John Paul II

2006: Gerald Ford 

2007: Benazir Bhutto (runner up: Anna Nicole Smith)  

2008: Paul Newman & Charlton Heston (tie) (runner up: Heath Ledger) 

2009: Michael Jackson, Walter Cronkite, & Ted Kennedy (tie) 

2010: Robert Byrd

2011: Steve Jobs & Elizabeth Taylor (tie) (runner up: Kim Jong-il)  

2012: Neil Armstrong (runner up: Whitney Houston) 

2013: Nelson Mandela (runner up: Margaret Thatcher) 

2014: Maya Angelou & Robin Williams (tie) 

2015: BB King (runner up: Leonard Nimoy) 

2016: Muhammad Ali (runners up: Prince, David Bowie, Carrie Fisher, John Glenn, Fidel Castro, Antonin Scalia, George Michael, and Nancy Reagan)

2017: Jerry Lewis

2018: George H.W. Bush (runners up: Aretha Franklin, Stan Lee, and John McCain) 

2019: Doris Day 

• Like 2

On 29/12/2019 at 06:45, gcreptile said:

Tough year, I don't know if there was any A+ death. A- yes, tons of B-list people, probably even more than average, if you look at all the dead drol favourites and DDP hits.

But whose death was in the news for more than a day?

Lagerfeld, Doris Day, Mugabe maybe.

Let's be honest, the most covered deaths were al-Baghdadi and especially Jeffrey Epstein.

For me personally, Scott Walker. 

It's sort of similar to 2010 or even 2012.  A lot of deaths, but not really any that were super high profile.  

When I was going through the 2010 obituaries, I couldn't really think of any names that stood out.  I only picked Robert Byrd b/c he was the longest serving United States senator at the time of his death.  Though I was also tempted to pick Dennis Hopper, who was certainly the highest profile celebrity death in 2010 (aside from Gary Coleman who received more media coverage due to his untimely death).  

Ditto for 2019.  While we lost quite a few celebrities, not many in terms of trailblazers.  Most of the actors we lost for example were character actors and we didn't lose a lot of Hollywood A-listers.  That is not to diminish their accomplishments, but in terms of losses in the entertainment business, most were B-grade actors/actresses or were supporting character actors (e.g. Robert Forster, Danny Aiello, etc.).  Besides Doris Day,  the biggest name actors to pass away this year were probably Peter Fonda, Albert Finney, Valerie Harper, and Rutger Hauer.   And Fonda and Harper were the only two were received significant media coverage (though Hauer definitely got the most coverage from social media and among younger people b/c was probably more well known to the Generation X and millennials whereas Fonda and Harper had more name recognition with the Baby Boomers).

Speaking of social media, if we go by Twitter and other social media news sites, one could argue that Luke Perry and Juice WRLD were the most significant deaths of 2019 b/c they received the most coverage on social media -- at least anecdotally speaking.  

• Like 1

RIP Taylor as the most significant death of 2019. ;)

1 hour ago, BCAlum2000 said:

When I was going through the 2010 obituaries, I couldn't really think of any names that stood out.

Tony Curtis, Leslie Nielsen, Ronnie James Dio and JD Sallinger all died in 2010.

• Like 1

On 29/12/2019 at 05:56, Death Impends said:

On a personal level for me, Caroll Spinney.

On a personal level for me, Tim Conway.

32 minutes ago, Prophet said:

Tony Curtis, Leslie Nielsen, Ronnie James Dio and JD Sallinger all died in 2010.

So true.  Especially Leslie Nielsen, one of my favorites!  

It's only August, but we definitely have two contenders for Most Significant Death of 2020 along with three runner ups:

John Lewis & Kobe Bryant (runner ups: Chadwick Boseman, Regis Philbin & Kirk Douglas) 

7 hours ago, BCAlum2000 said:

It's only August, but we definitely have two contenders for Most Significant Death of 2020 along with three runner ups:

John Lewis & Kobe Bryant (runner ups: Chadwick Boseman, Regis Philbin & Kirk Douglas) 

In America, it’s Kobe and it’s not even close.

• Like 1

On 31/08/2020 at 01:46, Doc said:

In America, it’s Kobe and it’s not even close.

Well, the most significant death of 2020 goes to Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.   Runner ups would be John Lewis, Kobe Bryant and Chadwick Boseman.   

• Facepalm 1

No question this is the most significant death of the year because of it's potential political and legal ramifications.I would go so far as to say it might be the most significant death since that of Pope John Paul 2 in 2005 !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

No question this is the most significant death of the year because of it's potential political and legal ramifications.I would go so far as to say it might be the most significant death since that of Pope John Paul 2 in 2005 !

Aye, I'd go with that - game on with regard to the other high profile totterers, then

• Like 1

As an European I'd say Kirk Douglas. Kobe wasn't that known atleast where I live.

• Like 3

In America, Kobe’s death is the most significant death culturally. RGB death is the most significant death politically. IMO, I would say RGB death is the most significant.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DeathClock said:

In America, Kobe’s death is the most significant death culturally. RGB death is the most significant death politically. IMO, I would say RGB death is the most significant.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg 

• Like 1

The most significant death so far this year has to be 

VERA LYNN

• Like 2

23 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

The most significant death of 2020 is Sean Connery.......for me that is. 

I would say he's definitely up there...

2020 is a tough choice for most significant celebrity death, but I still have to say...

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is the most significant death.  

Honestly, it's a five way tie if one thinks about it between RBG, Kobe Bryant, Sean Connery, John Lewis, and Chadwick Boseman.  

27 minutes ago, BCAlum2000 said:

I would say he's definitely up there...

2020 is a tough choice for most significant celebrity death, but I still have to say...

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is the most significant death.  

Honestly, it's a five way tie if one thinks about it between RBG, Kobe Bryant, Sean Connery, John Lewis, and Chadwick Boseman.  

Connery was global, the rest not as much.

I'd heard of Bryant and RBG but they were not as famous as Connery to me and most of the Planet would tend to agree.

I think I've asked this before, but in what way was 'person x's death significant?

Those of you touting Connery as the most significant death of the year, how is it significant? Why is it more significant than Bader Ginsburg?

16 minutes ago, time said:

I think I've asked this before, but in what way was 'person x's death significant?

Those of you touting Connery as the most significant death of the year, how is it significant? Why is it more significant than Bader Ginsburg?

He was a global film star, a greater amount of people would identify him from a picture than RBG.

It doesn't really matter what she did or how powerful she was because she did not reach out as far as Connery did via his films.

Well that's my theory.

7 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

He was a global film star, a greater amount of people would identify him from a picture than RBG.

It doesn't really matter what she did or how powerful she was because she did not reach out as far as Connery did via his films.

Well that's my theory.

I get all that, I just don't see how or why his death is significant, unless on a personal level. He wasn't delivering any new output, and hadn't for a number of years. All his old stuff is still out there, freely available - his death hasn't changed that - so unless he was coming round for tea every Sunday, I can't see what makes his death is significant. 

Ginsburg, on the other hand, was still involved in law-making at the highest level, in one of the most powerful countries in the world. I'd call her death significant, at least to Americans, but perhaps, by extension, to the general western world.

Maybe its down to differing opinions on what 'significant' means to different people.

• Like 1