chicago103

Each Year's Most Significant Death.

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I would say the Duke is the most significant SO FAR but hey, we're only in April… To say that he is the most significant of the decade seems inappropriate considering that the queen would be 104 in 2030, she'll probably die before so that would be the death of the decade. Besides, I can see prominent figures such as Tina Turner, Elton John, Clint Eastwood, Bill Clinton who would be great contenders for the most significant death of the decade or of the year (if one of them does die in 2021).

Fuck right off. Sabine Schmitz and Albert Roux beat the hell out of any of the other vague knowns so far. 

8 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

How do you figure?  Nearest I can tell he served no significant purpose to anything and, not that I'm a fan, but DMX moved the needle far more on this side of the pond.

Are you still at school? One globally known man

compared to somebody that couldn't carry a tune in a bucket so had to talk fast over a sound track ( that's rapping in a nutshell) who would have been well known to tone deaf english speakers  under the age of 30.  Fucking hell..

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

DoE is by far the biggest death of the 2020s in my opinion. While it wasn't unexpected, probably most of the people on this planet have at some point heard of him. I can't think of many over 80 year olds more known than him, except for Elizabeth, Gorbachev, maybe Carter, Harald V and Juan Carlos

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

compared to somebody that couldn't carry a tune in a bucket so had to talk fast over a sound track ( that's rapping in a nutshell) who would have been well known to tone deaf english speakers  under the age of 30.  Fucking hell..

Unfair comparison too - Philip was considered the son of God on at least one island (and oddly it wasn't even ours!). :lol:

(Actually, did you see the documentary about 20 years ago where some of the islanders came to London and got to meet Philip? Paraphrasing from memory, he told them that one day he would return to the spirit world, but then return again in another form, basically protecting their entire religion and culture against the inevitable  - which was more kind and tactful than some might think of him as a diplomat...)

• Like 2

Philip’s is the biggest death this year in the sense that the biggest fuss has been made over it, both on this forum and in the news (which goes directly against his wishes). But his death won’t have the biggest impact to many, it won’t be the biggest shock to many, it won’t be the biggest tragedy to many and it won’t be the biggest talking point for many.

So the question of ‘who is the biggest death’ is such an ambiguous one that no one can argue against other people’s answers to it.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

So the question of ‘who is the biggest death’ is such an ambiguous one that no one can argue against other people’s answers to it.

In other words, its the biggest bollocks reason to argue since that time someone started talking up how significant deaths were!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, msc said:

In other words, its the biggest bollocks reason to argue since that time someone started talking up how significant deaths were!

Yeah, scrap the thread, it's shite.:D

43 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

A. Phil's death has absolutely zero meaning to any non-death-poolers outside of Great Britain... and, I would have hoped, most within.

B. DMX's big hit (nearest I can tell, as I don't listen to rap) is from 2003 so the "still in school" jab is poorly thought out, from a timeline standpoint.

• Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

A. Phil's death has absolutely zero meaning to any non-death-poolers outside of Great Britain... and, I would have hoped, most within.

B. DMX's big hit (nearest I can tell, as I don't listen to rap) is from 2003 so the "still in school" jab is poorly thought out, from a timeline standpoint.

Ok, as an Italian here's my point of view: here EVERYONE knows who Prince Philip was, almost NO ONE knows who DMX was. That's it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Just now, Salmon Mousse said:

Aye, well, that puts into perspective how little the more mature of us know about (c) rap.

His death has made global news, GLOBAL news. The tributes have also come in from all corners of the world.

DMX would not have had two lines written in a Chinese newspaper.

'Significant' as has been said, could have more than one meaning but, essentially, it is about impact.

Phil death has had a greater global impact than the death of some rapper who, by your own admission, last had a hit 18 sodding years ago.

Honestly!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, drol said:

Ok, as an Italian here's my point of view: here EVERYONE knows who Prince Philip was, almost NO ONE knows who DMX was. That's it.

Which is understandable.  My original point was the Philip wasn't really "significant", whether he's well known or not.  Used DMX as an example because he just died as well and has, seems to me at least, to have garnered more attention in the US than the ancient royal.

10 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Which is understandable.  My original point was the Philip wasn't really "significant", whether he's well known or not.  Used DMX as an example because he just died as well and has, seems to me at least, to have garnered more attention in the US than the ancient royal.

USA population 330 million . Global population : 7.9 billion.

15 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Aye, well, that puts into perspective how little the more mature of us know about (c) rap.

His death has made global news, GLOBAL news. The tributes have also come in from all corners of the world.

DMX would not have had two lines written in a Chinese newspaper.

'Significant' as has been said, could have more than one meaning but, essentially, it is about impact.

Phil death has had a greater global impact than the death of some rapper who, by your own admission, last had a hit 18 sodding years ago.

Honestly!

Hmmm... he got a CGTN Africa (??) obit, which is the second more importanta in China after Xinhua. As a comparison, Phil got breaking news on Xinhua.

On 26/03/2021 at 20:10, Drewsky1211 said:

Following the trend started by @Life Is Beautiful, here's the most significant death(s) by year for the 1800s.

Bit late to the party – you've put a lot of work into your list and there's a lot I agree with, but it's still a very Anglo-American list. The first thing I noticed were the couple of US first ladies, but looking these years up there really hasn't been any significant deaths at all – I mean, I'd have picked slightly different unknown people, but it doesn't make a difference.

However … no Metternich (1859, with Alexander von Humboldt as a serious contender)? No Kościuszko (1817)? Or Pasteur (1895)? 1880 is another difficult year, I'd favour Flaubert or Offenbach if there wasn't the one true answer that is Emperor Norton.

1 minute ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

USA population 330 million . Global population : 7.9 billion.

Not to get technical but you forgot to remove the 330 million from the 7.9 billion. 

26 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Unfortunately, the UK is not as far up its own arsehole as the US but still pretty fucking far, and as such the press and people of a certain mindset (royalists, staunch patriots etc) have it in their heads that Philip’s death is the most important thing in the world right now.

DMX was very well known and has garnered attention here in the UK too, though it’s all vastly confined to social media and such thanks to Philip. If anyone wants a quiet death or wants to hide a scandal of some sort, now’s the fucking time in the UK.

I didn't know who DMX was until he was on the news for having a heart attack. Unless you are American or into the rap scene i'm sure you wouldn't have known about him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Not to get technical but you forgot to remove the 330 million from the 7.9 billion. 

I could have done that but it would have diluted the point.

The USA is not Planet Earth, even though it thinks it is, at times.

2 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

couldn't carry a tune in a bucket so had to talk fast over a sound track

Most significant death is a stupid overly repetitive load of shite that will still be being argued here when hell freezes over. 

The above however makes reading all today's entries worthwhile and, Mr @Lord Fellatio Nelson, I am so stealing it for use elsewhere.

• Haha 1

From an American standpoint, DMX's death was far more significant.  To the under 50 crowd in particular, everybody knew who DMX was and many listened to his music "back in the day."   For those of a certain age in America, DMX's death hit them particularly hard, and he had a far more impact than Prince Philip.  

But globally, Prince Philip received more media coverage when he died.  DMX received heavy coverage in the States, and from a social media perspective, was far more popular, but Prince Philip had more international clout.  

4 minutes ago, BCAlum2000 said:

From an American standpoint, DMX's death was far more significant.  To the under 50 crowd in particular, everybody knew who DMX was and many listened to his music "back in the day."   For those of a certain age in America, DMX's death hit them particularly hard, and he had a far more impact than Prince Philip.  

But globally, Prince Philip received more media coverage when he died.  DMX received heavy coverage in the States, and from a social media perspective, was far more popular, but Prince Philip had more international clout.  

I understand your viewpoint.

Your last words, however, nail on why his death was more significant GLOBALLY.

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I could have done that but it would have diluted the point.

The USA is not Planet Earth, even though it thinks it is, at times.

Funny, because I was making that same argument about the UK.  Britain's royals have zero meaning outside the UK.

• Facepalm 1

Seems what's happening here, actually, is that we've different thoughts on the meaning of "significant"... in which case @En Passant is absolutely correct that this " is a stupid overly repetitive load of shite that will still be being argued here when hell freezes over."

11 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Funny, because I was making that same argument about the UK.  Britain's royals have zero meaning outside the UK.

Ahem

6CC2B766-4F04-46CD-927B-18F6310F9FAE.thumb.jpeg.866a16f64f84fc1f4bdb03a4621d3619.jpeg

• Like 1