chicago103

Each Year's Most Significant Death.

2 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Ahem

6CC2B766-4F04-46CD-927B-18F6310F9FAE.thumb.jpeg.866a16f64f84fc1f4bdb03a4621d3619.jpeg

Oh, did she die?  Also... what do her real powers entail in these nations?

12 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Funny, because I was making that same argument about the UK.  Britain's royals have zero meaning outside the UK.

Stop acting like a thick shit.

We are comparing the significance of two deaths globally, America is not globally, the UK is not globally.

By a country mile, if you were to ask all members on here which, out of the two, they would consider to be the most significant, only you and a hand full of other fucking idiots would pick out BMX over Phil.

Stop wasting time arguing over the fucking obvious.

• Like 1

Just now, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Stop acting like a thick shit.

We are comparing the significance of two deaths globally, America is not globally, the UK is not globally.

By a country mile, if you were to ask all members on here which, out of the two, they would consider to be the most significant, only you and a hand full of other fucking idiots would pick out BMX over Phil.

Stop wasting time arguing over the fucking obvious.

We weren't doing that, at all, and I made that clear in a previous post.

Just now, Salmon Mousse said:

Oh, did she die?  Also... what do her real powers entail?

You said that British royals have zero meaning outside the UK, so all I did was disprove your point, just as swiftly as you proved my earlier point that the majority of the US has its head even further up its own arse than the UK.

I’m not a royalist at all but these are just fucking facts.

5 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Seems what's happening here, actually, is that we've different thoughts on the meaning of "significant"... in which case @En Passant is absolutely correct that this " is a stupid overly repetitive load of shite that will still be being argued here when hell freezes over."

This argument has been going on since the beginning of the thread (or at least page 2). As @Lard Bazaar put it 

one man's 'significant death' is another's 'who the f**k is he?'

Hence, you get arguments about whether a US rapper who has a significance to demographic 'A', is more significant than a 99 year consort who has a significance to demograpghic 'B'. Pointless, unless we can rech a definition of 'significant' on which we're all agreed. 

Anyway, at least this has stopped all the Kobe Bryant arguments.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

You said that British royals have zero meaning outside the UK, so all I did was disprove your point, just as swiftly as you proved my earlier point that the majority of the US has its head even further up its own arse than the UK.

I’m not a royalist at all but these are just fucking facts.

Tried to use the word "meaning" because I, wrongly, thought it would have a more practical application than "significance".  Trying to give either of these words a practical application has been my mistake.

2 minutes ago, time said:

This argument has been going on since the beginning of the thread (or at least page 2). As @Lard Bazaar put it 

Hence, you get arguments about whether a US rapper who has a significance to demographic 'A', is more significant than a 99 year consort who has a significance to demograpghic 'B'. Pointless, unless we can rech a definition of 'significant' on which we're all agreed. 

What he said

1 minute ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Tried to use the word "meaning" because I, wrongly, thought it would have a more practical implication than "significance".  Trying to give either of these words a practical application has been my mistake.

The whole thing is so open to interpretation that there are no right answers to who’s more significant than who, so the entirety of this thread is pointless and should get in the bin please admins thank you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Putin said:

Well I Said the most significant death of the decade so far

Oh yes indeed, I must have red too fast my bad...

On another note, who is for you the most significant death of the XXth century and of the XXIth so far ? 
and your top 10 ? 
I’m juste curious to see and have no clue on who could take the first spot of the most significant death of all... 

47 minutes ago, time said:

Kobe who? 

17 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

On another note, who is for you the most significant death of the XXth century and of the XXIth so far ? 
and your top 10 ? 
I’m juste curious to see and have no clue on who could take the first spot of the most significant death of all... 

Define "significant".

21 minutes ago, time said:

Define "significant".

significant in term of cultural, political, or religious impact. A death which is considered as part of history, one who is not only a shock but also a significant event. 

I would say, Hitler may be the best contender for the most significant death of the XXth but there's great runner-ups such as Elvis, De Gaulle, Churchill… 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

significant in term of cultural, political, or religious impact. A death which is considered as part of history, one who is not only a shock but also a significant event. 

I would say, Hitler may be the best contender for the most significant death of the XXth but there's great runner-ups such as Elvis, De Gaulle, Churchill… 

Actually, this might help explain where I was coming from, in regards to the word "significant", because I would argue that Hitler's actual death wasn't all that significant because of when it occurred.  It came at the tail end of the war, after he had been totally defeated, and had no more potential to harm anyone but those in the bunker with him.  The most significant death, of the 20th century, was undoubtedly Archduke Franz Ferdinand's.  His assassination completely reshaped the western world and Hitler isn't even a person of historical note without it.

Prince Philip was undoubtedly the most significant death of 2021, on an international scale. For me on a personal level, it would have to be André Maranne, coincidently they both died only 3 days apart.

I predict the most significant death of 2022 will be Pelé......

• Like 1

On 11/04/2021 at 13:02, Lafaucheuse said:

I agree with your description in the first sentence - which unironically was followed up with a post saying Prince Philip LMAO who on any reality-based or even whimsical spectrum completely misses the mark as impactful culturally, politically, or religiously.  Outside of the wee island he is now buried on most didn’t notice his life or absence.  I hate to be the bearer of ‘breaking news’ to the dolt who said Philip or anyone who agrees tacitly or otherwise with that assertion.  
Quite literally on an international basis no one gave any fucks.  
Sir Cunto

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sir Cunto said:

I agree with your description in the first sentence - which unironically was followed up with a post saying Prince Philip LMAO who on any reality-based or even whimsical spectrum completely misses the mark as impactful culturally, politically, or religiously.  Outside of the wee island he is now buried on most didn’t notice his life or absence.  I hate to be the bearer of ‘breaking news’ to the dolt who said Philip or anyone who agrees tacitly or otherwise with that assertion.  
Quite literally on an international basis no one gave any fucks.  
Sir Cunto

Sorry not sorry but Philip was one of the most famous death which happened this year. Which one (especially on the list) was more famous than him, except maybe Bouteflika but even him… 

• Like 2

Here is my list for 2022:

January ~ Meatloaf

February ~ Bamber Gascoigne

March  ~  Peter Bowles

April  ~  June Brown

May  ~  Lester Piggott

June  ~  Roger and Bradley Stockton 

July  ~  Bernard Cribbins 

August ~ Archie Battersbee 

September ~ Queen Elizabeth

October ~ Olivier Lavorel and Angela Lansbury

November ~ Christine McVie

December ~ Ruth Madoc and Pele

Happy new year everybody

• Like 2

January - Sidney Poitier

February - Jamal Edwards

March - Shane Warne

April - June Brown

May - Dennis Waterman

June - Deborah James

July - Shinzo Abe

August - Olivia Newton John

September - Queen Elizabeth II

October - Angela Lansbury

November - Leslie Phillips

December - Pope Benedict XVI

On 29/12/2021 at 07:05, The Daredevil said:

Prince Philip was undoubtedly the most significant death of 2021, on an international scale. For me on a personal level, it would have to be André Maranne, coincidently they both died only 3 days apart.

I predict the most significant death of 2022 will be Pelé......

I never comment on here but just spotted that this prediction came exactly a year before his death. 

9 hours ago, Cgg said:

I never comment on here but just spotted that this prediction came exactly a year before his death. 

But was still wrong

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

2018 has to be Aretha Franklin right ? 

Bush Sr. and Stephen Hawking also died in 2018, so I'd say it's one of those 2.

4 minutes ago, wannamaker said:

Bush Sr. and Stephen Hawking also died in 2018, so I'd say it's one of those 2.

Bush Sr. ? Hawking of course but Bush Sr was president for just one mandate and was not one of the most influential US politician. I’d say it’s a tie between Hawking and Franklin for me…

• Like 1