Monoclinic

Most Significant Celebrity Death In 1983

The deaths came in three by three, hurrah, hurrah!  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can be chosen in either reverse of forwards order, the question says it all.

Edit - I forgot to add that the correct response can be found in H's sig, hence the reason for the poll.

John Le Mesurier?

Well it has to be K C doesn't it? Although David Niven is very strong competition and the only one on the list I wouldn't mind Karen losing to.

Well, I would have to say it was my Aunt Dorothy, although I admit her celebrity was very narrow. She was decorated by the Pope for smuggling children out of Poland during the Blitzkrieg. One of the few people I've ever known who actually walked her faith.

Alternatively, I'll go with KC. :pop:

No Dick "Ooh, you are awful ... but I like you!" Emery, or Ira "Porgy and Bess" Gershwin :(

Let's not forget the only player in Brazil considered the equal to Pele, Garrincha. Probably would have made a great F1 driver too; given half a chance.

And another thing, I have just discovered that he lost his virginity to a goat. Which is quite interesting. And to think I voted for Muddy Waters. :(

Edited by Dave to the Grave

With all the democracy of an African presidential election, other latecomers have been added. I hope you weren't too rash in casting your vote for Karen, if I could change my vote it'd probably be for Dorothy. Although I think H can be happy in the knowledge that thus far only one person has voted for Muddy Waters the original suggestion from one of our most favourite threads.

Yes, I know it's the lowest form but it's one I resort to on many occasions.

Auntie Dorothy, as CA is such a woof person :( .

Because of her age, her manner of death and her influence still on both music & people's memories (although both are waning), I would have to agree that Karen Carpenter's death was probably the most significant.

But I would strongly argue the case of Joan Miro, one of the most influential & best known artists of the 20th century, who died just after his work became globally famous because of the 1982 football World Cup. His work is still popular now & is often "en vogue" as they say, long after his death.

But I actually voted for Aunt Dorothy.

Others not on the list who I would've added include Dennis Wilson (Beach Boy), Carolyn Jones, Norma Shearer, Gloria Swanson, Jack Dempsey, Billy Fury & Herge.

Can I throw in my Great Uncle Tommy?

Only if he seduced Nazi officers to get paperwork to smuggle kids out of war zones. ;)

Only if he's dead.

Karen Carpenter? The name rings a bell, but I can't place her. Was she an athlete, or an author?

Neither, she was a singer, ever heard of The Carpenters?

Karen Carpenter? The name rings a bell, but I can't place her. Was she an athlete, or an author?

Didn't she have a brother, Jesus, Jones or something?

Awww, Phants sweetheart, did those beastly US customs officers confiscate your irony detector when you decided to abandon our septic isle?

Guest ATS

Didn't she have a brother, Jesus, Jones or something?

That's him. He won weightwatcher of the year 1982

Luis Buñuel

The most significant Carpenters related death of 2010? Tony Peluso, 60, guitarist with the band for twelve years, has died of heart disease.

The most significant Carpenters related death of 2010? Tony Peluso, 60, guitarist with the band for twelve years, has died of heart disease.

You beat me to it. I think Hal Blaine will be the next.

Peluso is inextricably Crappies-linked, thanks to one of the most famous guitar solos ever. Lumping Hal in with these MOR mediocrities is a bit rich, since he's just about the greatest living (rock/pop) drummer, Clem Cattini excepted. I suppose I'm off Han's Xmas card list now.

I voted for Dick Emery. Ooh, I am awful.

Peluso is inextricably Crappies-linked, thanks to one of the most famous guitar solos ever. Lumping Hal in with these MOR mediocrities is a bit rich, since he's just about the greatest living (rock/pop) drummer, Clem Cattini excepted. I suppose I'm off Han's Xmas card list now.

I voted for Dick Emery. Ooh, I am awful.

...but we like you!

my vote goes to Buster Crabbe. ^_^